getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Post Count. (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=51422)

theone 07-11-2010 07:33 AM

Post Count.

Has anybody else noticed a slight abnormality in their accounts in that the post count has stopped increasing?

I have just noticed this recently. So after making a couple of further posts checked and the count remains static. Strange. :confused:

EDIT: After further posts it appears that only some parts of getDare are exhibiting this problem. I think that the Lounge Games is one of them.

Tiger 07-11-2010 09:28 AM

I really hope that Depp changed the Lounge Games forum so that any post in there doesn't increase post count. A lot of people post on those games just to increase their post count and don't really contribute to the rest of the forums. I refused to post on games because they are just a waste and don't give me more quality in my posts.

lokelake 07-11-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger (Post 302169)
I really hope that Depp changed the Lounge Games forum so that any post in there doesn't increase post count. A lot of people post on those games just to increase their post count and don't really contribute to the rest of the forums. I refused to post on games because they are just a waste and don't give me more quality in my posts.

We differ opinions there. To me, a quality post is a post that is not going off-topic and that is not spamming or trolling.

Slenderman - Doctor 07-11-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokelake (Post 302189)
We differ opinions there. To me, a quality post is a post that is not going off-topic and that is not spamming or trolling.

You've got to admit though, some people post crap just to look good on the post count (certainly seems that way though). I see similar things happening in the "Person Above" - "do a messy dare now dare meeee lol thx" indeed.

Manbearpig 07-11-2010 10:38 AM

The lounge games no longer increase post count. If you notice elsewhere that you post that it doesn't incraese, let a mod or admin know

lokelake 07-11-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manbearpig (Post 302193)
The lounge games no longer increase post count.

Darn it, my post count would have been so high, lol. Won't this encourage people to not play forum games?

Anjelen 07-11-2010 11:44 AM

IMAO - those who play the forum games to increase post count rather than to play forum games, may find themselves a more satisfactory haven at GaiaOnline's ChatterBox.

Personally, I'm here to enjoy myself on these forums, not to extend my E-penis.

theone 07-11-2010 12:02 PM

Oh. It would seem that there is some big deal about post count values. I don’t see why, after all what do they really mean? I don’t think there is real correlation to quality posts.

I suppose I should stop analysing data and get back to making some coffee. :)

Star Shadows 07-11-2010 12:49 PM

I agree with the sentiment that lounge games should not be counted in post counts. If you play them to play games then fair enough, it shouldn't bother you. Posts that are counted should really be something of useful contribution to the website.

cara.loverin1989 07-11-2010 12:56 PM

I agree with star shadows. I post on the lounge games because they are fun and I like to, not because I wish to increase my post count. When I start a thread or post somewhere else it is not for the fact that I want my post amount to go up. I most always write a semi long reply. I dont like one/two worded replies to posts that have a good topic or are asking a question that they really want answers to. Its kind of dishonest if you think about it. It like you are not even reading and thinking, you are just there for yourself.

depp 07-11-2010 01:07 PM

The quantity of posts on a website is not directly proportional to its usefulness. I don't want everyone in the world to post on getDare (really!). This is a place for like-minded people to chill. Stuffing posts in every visible crevice of the site won't make it any better.

I know changes in how post count is calculated will bum some of you out. Our only motive here is to stop posts for the sake of increasing some arbitrary number.

davgrant 07-11-2010 02:49 PM

I am not at all bothered with the post counts but its a good move to remove the lounge games from adding to the count.

Slenderman - Doctor 07-12-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokelake (Post 302198)
Darn it, my post count would have been so high, lol. Won't this encourage people to not play forum games?

If all people do is play forum games purely for post count, well, I think those people are daft. You play games for fun, not for a number to go up.

Manbearpig 07-12-2010 01:22 PM

As should be noticed whenever post count topics come up...it's the quality and not the quanity that matters. You could have 2000 posts, and you might be worse than a person with 500 because the latter posts threads of quality.

444 07-12-2010 01:51 PM

Good call on killing the post counts on getdare game threads. The threads were hindering the helpfulness of the recent posts table.