getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you get annoyed when people use text language? (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=20307)

Smile 02-03-2009 03:34 PM

Do you get annoyed when people use text language?

do yaz gt annoyd wen ppl use txt language?

Do you get annoyed when people use text language?

i no i do cuz i takes me ags to reed it all nd im lyk, wth? i dnt undrstand wut ur sayin

I know I do because it takes me ages to read it all and I'm like, what the hell? I don't understand.

Smile 02-03-2009 03:37 PM

yeh, i use 'lol' and 'wtf' a lot on msn, but its things like my examples above where you cant read a word that they are saying without having to spend time working out what it says

Smile 02-03-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davros (Post 113862)
Let me use your examples...

1. It doesn't hurt to use the "caps lock" key.
2. "ya" is alright, but why the extra "z"? That's three letters. You may as well spell the actual bloody word!
3. "gt" - how hard is it to add another letter?

I could go on, but those are the main things. My best friend has a bit of a habit with txt-spk, but because I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me. With other people though, it makes me see them as lazy gits.

1. Caps lock button? what do you mean use it? WTF?
2. See, i have never understood the whole "yaz" thing, but all the people on my msn who talk like that.
3. Same as number 2, dont know how it is around the rest of the world, but thats how they talk. they also fill their text with the msn messenger emoticon things, i will try to read a sentence and all of a sudden some guy is shaking his head and im thinking "what?, oh right, he's saying "know"

doomed_soul89 02-03-2009 05:34 PM

the stuff you posted I hate but stuff like b4 and brb that kind of stuff is fine but chopping a word up like that isn't

Night-1991 02-03-2009 05:42 PM

I do get annoyed, but i use things like 'lol' and 'brb' and 'wb' and such, but not thinks like 'lyk' and 'm8'

PS: Even though i use lol i don't use lul, its retarded using that.

cheesey923 02-03-2009 06:49 PM

it annoys me but lol and btw are ok

slaveinthesouth 02-03-2009 07:04 PM

Yeah it annoys me like crazy I mean you got a keyboard why not use it. It doesn't take that much more time to type everything then to make other people have to figure out what you are saying.

Ciandon 02-03-2009 07:55 PM

The two that bother me the most: "liek" and "joo". Like Davros said already, it's the same amount of letters - spell it out correctly, at least! That said, i annoys me to no end. (With the normal exceptions of OMG, WTF, etc. Unless they're used like "OMGWTFLOL!" Then it's awful.)

*EDIT!*
I totally forgot about 1337sp33k. HATE THAT STUFF!

Lizard 02-03-2009 08:39 PM

Short words when working with a phone keypad are understandable, but when a person has a full keyboard under their fingers there is no excuse for not typing things out, using punctuation, and the shift key!

rpUral 02-04-2009 06:51 AM

Given today's phones, it isn't even acceptable there. The very common ones are ok (or okay; even that was shortened ages ago). Things like lol, omg, gtg. wb took me by surprise one day, and I had to ask what it was. The rest of it is just jibberish. You're sitting in front of a full keyboard. Most people today can type at least 40 words a minute without even trying. Use Words.

The other annoying thing is the whole hacker-speak language, substituting numbers and symbols for letters. Grow up. Use Words.

The emoticons are fine, when used sparingly, and in a context where they can be easily interpreted. In Yahoo, **== gives you an American flag. Here, it means nothing, and nobody who didn't use Yahoo, and discover it, wouldn't have a clue. They're not meant to replace the centers of words.

Typing in all caps is considered rude and yelling, and is hard to read in any case. All lowers is a bit better, but just shows lazyness. How hard is it to find the shift key?

All of these issues can be interpreted, if you make an effort. But if people have to work to read what you've put here, will they lose the meaning while trying to "clear the forest".

In situations like these, where you aren't speaking directly to others, people form impressions of you by what you've written. You are the text you enter here. Show good form, and impress everyone. :)

TheLittleStrawberry 02-04-2009 07:31 AM

I tend to ignore such messages and let them know that once they speak normally, Ill read what they say. I'm not masochistic enough to read such gibberish :p

Robert_Z_man 02-04-2009 08:16 AM

I don't mind a Little bit of it like " lol" once and awhile, But after that it gets annoying.

SissiCD 02-04-2009 10:24 AM

Depends

I dont like it in forums and I wouldnt do it myself it looks like I can't articulate very well which is something I find important.

However when chatting on yahoo or msn I feel the need to type more quickly so thats where text languages comes in handy.

Typing already takes longer than talking so I dont want a chat to go on for 5 hours unnecessarily
If i feel the need to say something important where text just isn't right then I can revert to normal conversation

But then if you message me with "ASL" as a conversation opener you can forget it as I will suddenly appear offline to you forever

@ppl3 02-04-2009 01:00 PM

It dont bother me at all. I can read it like anything else, sometimes i dont notice. which is kind of bad because sumtimes i cn jst go of in2 txt lang not noticing, so half the time i have to go back and change it, well i dont do i tht much

fork 02-04-2009 01:19 PM

Things like "lol" and such are alright. I mean who would actually type out "I am laughing out loud right now"? But.. wut ru doin is kind of ridiculous.
I also understand when you are actually TEXTING and have limited character space, but on places like this.. type it out. :mad: