getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Live Special Events (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Buffy Discussion 'Book Club' (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=344315)

pet monkey 06-25-2018 06:37 PM

Buffy Discussion 'Book Club'

So, I was thinking about starting a Buffy re-watch and thought it would be fun to have a discussion group. I'm thinking we could watch 3 episodes or so a week and get together on a weekend to discuss them?

How's Sunday sound? 11 am MDT (GMT -6)? Lounge Chat room? Cool, so let me know in the thread if you're planning on being there, I'll think of some things to discuss while watching the show and you can do the same, cool? Let's start with the first 3 episodes, "Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, and The Witch ". (Or if you don't have somewhere to watch it just come for the discussion, all are welcome).

Jaro 06-27-2018 11:37 AM

Good idea! I may be here actually... but this is only an hour before I do my own event.

Also, I haven't watched any Buffy ever beyond season 4 so I don't want to risk getting any spoilers.. even though this is only about the first 3 episodes, there's still that risk I think.

pet monkey 06-27-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaro (Post 3335126)
Good idea! I may be here actually... but this is only an hour before I do my own event.

Also, I haven't watched any Buffy ever beyond season 4 so I don't want to risk getting any spoilers.. even though this is only about the first 3 episodes, there's still that risk I think.

That is a good point, so I will add the addendum that we keep the conversation on only the episodes we're discussing (or, in the future) previous episodes that we've all already seen. Plus, if you're in my event I might want to go check out how your event goes afterwards... :)

FrozenWolfGirl 06-28-2018 11:58 AM

This sounds like an awesome idea! EDIT- the time would be 5pm here actually which is alright for me! I thought it was 5am oops lol

IceMaiden 06-28-2018 12:08 PM

Darn! 5pm is when I'm getting my son ready for his dad to pick him up. I will try and make some of it if I can though!

pet monkey 06-29-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceMaiden (Post 3336580)
Darn! 5pm is when I'm getting my son ready for his dad to pick him up. I will try and make some of it if I can though!

That's cool, come when/if you're available!

pet monkey 07-01-2018 06:24 PM

We had a lot of fun this week, thank you to everyone that showed up!

We are going to meet up again next week, same time, same room and discuss the next two episodes: Teacher's Pet and Never Kill a Boy on the First Date.

Again, everyone is welcome, new viewers and old alike (or those who haven't seen it yet and would just like to find out what this Buffy thing is all about)

naked_lego 07-02-2018 10:59 AM

This sounds fun

I've never watched, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it always kinda interested me. The only way I can see it is to get the DVDs on Netflix. I think I should be about to catch up by next Sunday. :)

IceMaiden 07-02-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naked_lego (Post 3343011)
I've never watched, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it always kinda interested me. The only way I can see it is to get the DVDs on Netflix. I think I should be about to catch up by next Sunday. :)

You wont regret it! :D

Simi 07-03-2018 08:56 AM

I may well attempt to join you.... so long as I've got my time conversions right lol... might attempt to corrupt my puppy into old school whedon shows :D

Butterfly 07-03-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simi (Post 3344074)
I may well attempt to join you.... so long as I've got my time conversions right lol... might attempt to corrupt my puppy into old school whedon shows :D

If you look at the stickys in this section, it will give you a link to time zone conversions, as well as if Monkey put the event in the calendar, it should automatically convert it to your timezone for you.

pet monkey 07-03-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly (Post 3344218)
If you look at the stickys in this section, it will give you a link to time zone conversions, as well as if Monkey put the event in the calendar, it should automatically convert it to your timezone for you.

I did put it in the calendar, cause I'm a smart monkey

pet monkey 07-08-2018 11:59 AM

Hmm, slow week. I waited about 30 minutes and left when no one showed up. No worries, I'll be there again next week ready to discuss the next two episodes, The Pack and Angel and you're all welcome to come again, of course.

Butterfly 07-08-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pet monkey (Post 3350028)
Hmm, slow week. I waited about 30 minutes and left when no one showed up. No worries, I'll be there again next week ready to discuss the next two episodes, The Pack and Angel and you're all welcome to come again, of course.

I am sorry it wasn't a success.

I would recommend trying to pop into chat a few times during the week and linking your event, as well as bumping the thread the day or two before.

You could also make a post in the lounge with buffy trivia or something and mention it in there.

Jaro 07-09-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pet monkey (Post 3350028)

I'm sorry Mr. Monkey. I will try to be there next week.

It's really hard to get people to join these things because they don't look at the stickies, don't set reminders and simply forget.

I wish there was a way for subscribe to things like this and then get automatic reminders. Or something to let the upcoming events flash up on the top of every page. Without that you really need to keep reminding people about it. I agree with Miss Butterfly that the chat is a good place to do this.