getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Submissive/Dominant Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thinking about getting a tattoo (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=115301)

peaceful_soul 08-09-2012 11:09 PM

Thinking about getting a tattoo

So I'm going to keep this brief... but basically I'm thinking about getting the BDSM symbol (Google it). Why? Because BDSM has/is one of the only things in this life that I am truly passionate about. It's a good enough reason for me. My question to you guys is this. Do you think it would be a safe to have it somewhere exposed? I was thinking on my forearm. Anyways... Just in the thinking stage of this idea, but it's something that I could see myself getting, and I'm not even big on tattoos or piercings. It would be my first and probably only one.

Gin.

suboptimal 08-10-2012 01:52 AM

I wouldnt put such a thing exposed to public on my forearm. Its for you, not other people isnt it? :P
Maybe on the inner side of the upper arm? This way u decide when and to whom it is exposed, no problems in job with short shirts and even on the beach u can decide if its hidden or not:)

peaceful_soul 08-10-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. You bring up a really good point, it is just for me. So having it exposed really shouldn't be a priority. The upper arm is a good idea, or possibly my chest. I also took into account the work environment. These days, we can't express ourselves at work if it shows any offense to others, so probably having an exposed tattoo with such a derogatory meaning would probably be unethical.

Pet Phoenix 08-12-2012 09:51 AM

All that said, I honestly think you'll be very hard pressed for people who Aren't into S&M who know what that symbol represents. If you have it somewhere visible work, etc may still object, simply because it's a tattoo but I don't think you need to worry about anyone who isn't into the scene knowing what it means. People may ask and then its up to you - depending on the person and the place/time - whether you explain its meaning or just say it is a symbol you liked (or even come up with a plausible 'backstory' if you wanted XD)

As for those who DO understand it's meaning, weelll~ I personally always loved the idea that I was giving away something, just a little bit naughty about myself. All you'd end up doing, is signalling your interest in S&M to other people who are into it.

To confirm this, you could draw out a simple version of the symbol or tattoo design you might be getting and run it past your friends/people who know about you but maybe don't know about S&M. See what their reactions are.

There's my thoughts ^^' I have a bit of a thing for doing tattoo designs, have done a few I'd love to get myself but I'd have to like my body more first I think >< :p