getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   The Authors' Cafe (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Do you prefer to read stories in 1st or 3rd person? (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=287199)

samskye1995 12-28-2016 04:40 AM

Do you prefer to read stories in 1st or 3rd person?

As the title really, which do you prefer to read? I or he / she?

Wordsmiff 08-19-2017 03:45 PM

Definitely prefer to read in third person. Quite happy to write in 3rd or 1st.

foxknot69 08-19-2017 05:43 PM

Do you mean any story? Or just stories on this site?

BarefootAlien 10-10-2019 01:33 AM

It really depends. For non-fiction, exclusively first person. For fiction, generally third, though there are exceptions. Rare, but they do exist, like if the "main character" is supposed to be the reader in some sense. I've also seen first person used effectively to convey that a main-character slave is so dehumanized that their third-person descriptors, name, etc, are irrelevant.

But in almost all cases, non-fiction I want first person, fiction I want third. RP I insist on third. I do not do first-person roleplay.

batfinch 10-10-2019 01:52 AM

I have written a number of spanking stories and even one or two transgender ones.
I write in both persons and in both genders it really depends on the topic as sometimes the story is better in the 1st and sometimes beter in the 3rd, but of course if I write as a female its probably described as the 2nd person

SilverBlue 09-26-2020 11:47 PM

I've been playing with the idea of adapting some of my personal stories into third-person stories where I can maybe change-up the characters and scenarios.

I feel like it would be easier to write different characters in third-person, characters that would do things I wouldn't and distance myself from the story. It might be different from a reader's perspective, they may want to insert themselves into the story.

MasterBilly 10-24-2020 03:33 PM

Depends, if the story involves some form of humiliation then I prefer 1st person of the person being humiliated, I find it much more erotic to read somebody saying, "... and then I was made to do this, then I was made to do that..."

But the 3rd person is more flexible, they can give an overview of things that the 1st person is not aware of, or write about things that take place when the 1st person is not in the scene.

sexyseniorctzn 10-25-2020 08:11 AM

For the most part, I prefer 3rd person, but if first person is done well and especially if it is a true story, that is good too. It depends on the story and how comfortable the writer is with it. It's more a matter of the writer's skill than anything. Some drop in and out of the point of view. This is particularly annoying and hard to follow.

MarvHarvey 01-09-2021 01:00 PM

I write a lot 1st person for GetDare because it seems easier to put the reader inside the head of the narrator. That way they can feel the emotions better: "My stomach was fluttering like a flock of seagulls as I stood naked, hands on head, waiting for the two of them to decide what to do with me."

I also write 3rd person, and it is a bit easier to just ramble on describing things. And sometimes it is easier to cover a lot of ground in a hurry.

For reading, high high quality is the key for me. Grammar and sentences and well written from the words right up to the story line itself.

And then a bit of mystery, emotion, surprises, feelings, and so on.

nareth 01-10-2021 07:37 AM

I've selected 3rd person but I also almost equally like 1st person point of view stories. It actually depends a lot on the subject matter for me humiliation often works better in 1st person, complex stories better in 3rd person.

Wooker 01-10-2021 08:16 AM

I honestly like both point of views in stories (so I didn't vote, as there wasn't an either choice):

* 1st person gives a more personal testimony look
* 3rd person allows more freedom of point of views, with an omniscient narrator for example

sexyseniorctzn 01-10-2021 12:55 PM

I prefer third person in my online role play. It really doesn't matter that much which you use as long as you are consistent in that story. The great authors have used both. It's just a matter of how you want to tell that story. I look forward to getting to read your stories. I hope I will have time in the near future to read the ones on your signature.