getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Butter on Popcorn? (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=361829)

Butterfly 03-10-2019 12:49 PM

Butter on Popcorn?

It has recently come to my attention that Brits don't add butter to their popcorn. I have been told it is nasty and would make it soggy! I think that is just insane ... I am wondering if maybe we are just not understanding each other.

In Canada, when air popping popcorn, we add a salty seasoning and melted butter. At the theater, they pop it with a seasoning already on it, and then you can pay extra for butter topping. We also have the option of pre-flavored popcorn that goes in the microwave. Those don't need any additional toppings, however some still do add melted butter and/or other seasonings.

So my question is .... do you add butter to popcorn?

sissyBrittx 03-10-2019 12:51 PM

i can confirm that in the United States of Popcorn we infact use butter

Stopclick 03-10-2019 12:53 PM

They used to do butter on popcorn at my local cinema when i was a kid. But they stopped around the same time the banned supersize fries here in the UK.

It's the god damn best and anyone not putting butter on popcorn isn't living.

jml3030 03-10-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly (Post 3595806)
It has recently come to my attention that Brits don't add butter to their popcorn. I have been told it is nasty and would make it soggy! I think that is just insane ... I am wondering if maybe we are just not understanding each other.

In Canada, when air popping popcorn, we add a salty seasoning and melted butter. At the theater, they pop it with a seasoning already on it, and then you can pay extra for butter topping. We also have the option of pre-flavored popcorn that goes in the microwave. Those don't need any additional toppings, however some still do add melted butter and/or other seasonings.

So my question is .... do you add butter to popcorn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissyBrittx (Post 3595809)
i can confirm that in the United States of Popcorn we infact use butter

What Britt said.

thevoiceinside 03-10-2019 12:56 PM

The trick is to balance the butter and popcorn. A light coating of butter is fine, the "I work at a movie theater so if you ask for butter I'm just going to saturate it to the point it might as well be soup" most definitely is not. You want just enough to add a little flavor.

MastersVoice 03-10-2019 01:08 PM

Just can't get my little head around this. Butter on popcorn? Really???

sissyBrittx 03-10-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastersVoice (Post 3595874)

the best analogy i can give to you is eating popcorn without butter is equivalent to eating pancakes without syrup... its just wrong, sorry (:

Rlee 03-10-2019 01:19 PM

You're lucky there's syrup where you live!
I had the opportunity to try it once, and wow, do I wish for more!

As for butter... In the mysterious land without syrup where I live, both are common, but popcorn with no butter is so lame I can't eat it...

MastersVoice 03-10-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissyBrittx (Post 3595884)
the best analogy i can give to you is eating popcorn without butter is equivalent to eating pancakes without syrup... its just wrong, sorry (:

Pancakes should be really thin, the width of a dinner plate and covered with a light dusting of sugar and a twist of lemon.

Those thicker ones you have over there are more like cakes.

Stopclick 03-10-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastersVoice (Post 3595874)

The butter that americans use for popcorn isn't strictly butter, in that it lacks the milk solids found in regular butter. So you get like an oily, salted mess. It's amazing.

Unless you like sweet popcorn, in which, i don't know what to tell you, you're already too far gone.

Butterfly 03-10-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastersVoice (Post 3595899)
Pancakes should be really thin, the width of a dinner plate and covered with a light dusting of sugar and a twist of lemon.

Those are more like a crepe then? Which is the french version of a pancake.

sissyBrittx 03-10-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastersVoice (Post 3595899)

:( ! pancakes should be warm, fluffy, with a little bit of butter and glazed in syrup... mmmmmm

EDIT: Fruit is also welcome on pancakes

Rlee 03-10-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissyBrittx (Post 3595903)
:( ! pancakes should be warm, fluffy, with a little bit of butter and glazed in syrup... mmmmmm

EDIT: Fruit is also welcome on pancakes

Please stop saying syrup... You're making my life sadder! Hahahah (:

Sam~ 03-10-2019 01:35 PM

I've never liked popcorn, maybe if added butter I'd like it?...

MastersVoice 03-10-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly (Post 3595902)
Those are more like a crepe then? Which is the french version of a pancake.

Crepes have richer ingredients such as cream. Also crepes are only cooked on one side. But yet I guess they look vaguely similar in comparison to their fatter North American cousin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissyBrittx (Post 3595903)

Warm yes, but not fluffy. And stop putting butter on everything you crazies!