getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Suggestion Zone (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Protecting New Users (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=63439)

Leopard 12-17-2010 02:10 PM

Protecting New Users

Would it be possible to make something along the lines of a very short message that pops up sometime around creating an account, warning new users that they can block annoying PMs, and can report any master/slave requests if they are under 18?

I'm sure it's written in some rules in some post somewhere, etc. but let's face it, most people don't read long walls of text or go looking for rules. And the amount of people who PM brand new members trying to pick them up as a slave before they know any better to look after themselves or say no is really ridiculous. You need only ask any female member to find the truth of that.

I just think a really short message that's forced right in front of their eyes to read so they can't miss it might help a little in letting new users know that they don't have to put up with that bullshit the creepers and the desperate & ignorant are doing every day on here, and that it's not approved by the site.

Star Shadows 12-19-2010 05:04 PM

I think this is a brill idea,

CollaredBlondie 12-20-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Shadows (Post 370060)
I think this is a brill idea,

Agreed. This would be good. I hope its possible.

Cuffed 12-20-2010 03:02 PM

Good idea leo, the message could even appear when they open a pm for the first time or first few times etc.

Leopard 12-20-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuffed (Post 370481)
Good idea leo, the message could even appear when they open a pm for the first time or first few times etc.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking - just a really really short warning that is actually short enough that everyone will read it, letting them know not to accept any slave master requests until they understand things for themselves, etc.

Cuffed 12-20-2010 03:12 PM

ATTENTIONZ
Get to know the site a little before accepting any Slave/Master requests.
Learn how to block&report users *link to thread*

Leopard 12-20-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuffed (Post 370490)
ATTENTIONZ

abusive users* maybe

but yes, that

juggernaut_lloyd 12-20-2010 05:26 PM

can we PM them laods of dubstep xD

sweetsong 12-22-2010 11:47 AM

There should also be a place for people (girls) to post usernames of frequent offenders. >.> So others can be on the lookout.

I know, that will never happen because it's all objective, but I know of a few users that don't necessarily break any rules but they are just bad people ._.

CollaredBlondie 12-22-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetsong (Post 371345)
There should also be a place for people (girls) to post usernames of frequent offenders. >.> So others can be on the lookout.

I know, that will never happen because it's all objective, but I know of a few users that don't necessarily break any rules but they are just bad people ._.

This is a good idea too.

Star Shadows 12-22-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetsong (Post 371345)

I adore this idea but yea its problematic because just because one person dislikes something and thinks bad or offensive ect doesn't mean someone else wont get off on being treat in such a way. Such is stuff like this, one's hate is anothers love and there will be at least one person who will like it probably. So it really is hard to draw the line here. but also even if you were to say who and why its hard to not become personal with it and blur the facts.

Loman 12-22-2010 01:07 PM

I totally support this thread and the ideas in it.

Good work Leo.

Ian

Horse.Chic 12-22-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuffed (Post 370490)
ATTENTIONZ

I agree with this!

Anjelen 12-23-2010 09:33 PM

Yes - i agree. There should be a warning for new users - say, the first three times they receive a private message - that they can block offending users and report inappropriate behavior such as underage slave/master requests... With links to perform these very actions in the message body.

Also - yes, i agree to the initials of a place for people (not just girls - women can be just as dangerous!) to post the names of frequent offenders but only if this can only be read by staff.

We do not need a wall of shame. Such things can be taken care of discreetly, IMHO.

Loman 12-23-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjelen (Post 372070)
We do not need a wall of shame. Such things can be taken care of discreetly, IMHO.

Yes I agree in principle, but not in this case.
I see little use of the staff being the only ones to see such a list. If someone is to be avoided then the users need to know before they make a wrong move.
I have had too many friends abused by creepers to let this be a passing whim on my part, so although I prefer to keep quiet rather than disagree, I feel I should speak out on this matter.

How about some kind of compromise? If the staff are the only ones to see the list then what about if a user receives a PM from someone on the list they get some kind of warning upon opening it along the lines of "This person has been reported as potentially unsafe/dangerous, please take care when dealing with this user. Staff can be contacted <link>here</link> for more information"?

Regards,