getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Great ad!" posts (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=52985)

CollaredBlondie 08-01-2010 02:27 AM

"Great ad!" posts

I think there should be a limit how many of these an ad should be allowed in a row. I mean, I've seen ads with like, five or six posts of this sort on it. It's like...Really? Can't you just thank them instead or send a PM? One or two posts of the sort are fine but six? Surely this would also annoy the OP - they get a notification of a reply in their thread and go to check, only to find that it's a "awesome ad" post?

I know I personally post the occasional "great ad" post but I tend not to do it if there's two or more posts like it.

Just a suggestion, not sure if anything can be done about it.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-01-2010 02:32 AM

I agree.

We all agree on getting the best ads seen and the worst ones are then left to die away. But, like you CB, I find a lot of "great thread" - "seconded" - "yeah, I agree".

Looks like sometimes you can't win.

It's just about finding a balance. Maybe thanking a thread could make it move to the top of the forum, or rating a thread five stars does something similar? Just to stop people having to "bump" it by repeating the same thing.

Stix 08-01-2010 02:41 AM

I think it's a good idea to bump a great ad to the top if it is recent and has fallen to the bottom of a pile of not so great ads. But the same comment again and again is never good...

Aivey 08-01-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stix (Post 311173)
I think it's a good idea to bump a great ad to the top if it is recent and has fallen to the bottom of a pile of not so great ads. But the same comment again and again is never good...

I actually agree with Stix, if they weren't bumped, they would no longer get attention...

Ninjota 08-02-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aivey (Post 311758)
I actually agree with Stix, if they weren't bumped, they would no longer get attention...

I too have to agree there, its a good way to weed out the bad ones and keep the good ads at the top. Then when the person has found someone the thread can be locked thus no longer bumped to the top.

davgrant 08-02-2010 03:17 AM

I don't agree with the OP. Thanking the good ads and posting in them helps keep it at the top and above the bad ads.

But I think it be best that in a 24 hour period only one "good ad" posts should be allowed.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-02-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aivey (Post 311758)

I agree there but it's stupid when there's a chain of, like, 4 or 5 users all posting "great ad". There's a difference between bumping good ads and just posting for the sake of it.

Night-1991 08-02-2010 08:12 AM

Whole point of "great ad" is to bump excellent adverts to the top, keeping the "i wanna misstress 2 domiate me" posts at the bottom.

CollaredBlondie 08-02-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night-1991 (Post 312107)
Whole point of "great ad" is to bump excellent adverts to the top, keeping the "i wanna misstress 2 domiate me" posts at the bottom.

I know this, but on some ads, there are so many in such a short space of time. I guess that's what I originally meant in the first post.

Stix 08-02-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollaredBlondie (Post 312108)
I know this, but on some ads, there are so many in such a short space of time. I guess that's what I originally meant in the first post.

Yeah I got that.

And I really like the "No bumping within 24 hours of the last bump" idea.

If you ARE going to bump a thread because it's been pushed down to the second page, I think you should check when the last person bumped it.

Then feel free!

CollaredBlondie 08-02-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stix (Post 312110)
Yeah I got that.

And I really like the "No bumping within 24 hours of the last bump" idea.

If you ARE going to bump a thread because it's been pushed down to the second page, I think you should check when the last person bumped it.

Then feel free!

^ This ^ sounds like a more workable idea. Let's go with that.

lokelake 08-02-2010 01:07 PM

Sending a Pm just to reward them will clog up valuable space for potential master/slave PMs.

IMO, rewarding them in their thread is not bad thing. Their amazing ad can give them a chance to shine amongst other getdarers.

Ribbit101 08-02-2010 03:43 PM

I bump great ads as a form of chemotherapy to get rid of the 'bad ads'.

However, I have heard grumblins among some other members that popular members are getting lots and lots of bumps, even though their ads are pretty mediocre.

CBlondie, you were the first to reply to my ad and while I was disapointed that it wasn't an actual response, it was still a nice morale/esteem boost...

So inconclusion I guess its okay to post a couple of 'great ad' posts toa frsh ad, but once it has slipped off page 1 then except in SUPER EXTREME circumstances, it should be left to take its natural course, to avoid lots of a certain members friends bumping a single ad

Antiperson 08-02-2010 03:52 PM

In the same vein (not trying to hijack the thread) it would be great if the story comments were seperate from the story - so you can follow the story without all the "great story!" comments

Slenderman - Doctor 08-02-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiperson (Post 312287)
In the same vein (not trying to hijack the thread) it would be great if the story comments were seperate from the story - so you can follow the story without all the "great story!" comments

Would be nifty, yeah.

Maybe some way in which all comments go to the end of the thread whilst the OP can write one-after-another, or something.