getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Changes in response to spammers (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=399249)

depp 01-23-2021 10:53 PM

Changes in response to spammers

In response to an uptick in the number of spammers invading getDare I've made some tweaks that may impact your experience.

If you are encountering issues sending messages "too fast", find that your posts are invisible to other users, or are having to answer captcha challenges randomly, let me know right here. I've tried to exempt paid and mod accounts from most of this but want this site to be usable for everyone.

Also crazy thanks to Butterfuly and Jaro for pulling us out of the muck!

depp 01-24-2021 11:33 AM

Minor update: I've added some additional measures that may impact your ability to register, send private messages, and post. If anyone is getting caught up in this, let me know here and I'll investigate your account.

bluedieblub 01-24-2021 01:14 PM

Is the limit on sending 10 pm messages per hour part of these changes? I'm not quite sure if I simply never ran into this problem before, or if this is a new limitation.

depp 01-24-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedieblub (Post 4272477)
Is the limit on sending 10 pm messages per hour part of these changes? I'm not quite sure if I simply never ran into this problem before, or if this is a new limitation.

Yes. I moved it down while I was figuring out what to do about PM spam. Bumped it up to 20 just now since I have another solution that I think should help. Let me know if this is still frustratingly low.

Lacram 01-27-2021 10:30 AM

The site breaks in some places if you block cloudflare's scripts but i guess that is the expected behavior.

depp 01-28-2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacram (Post 4275035)
The site breaks in some places if you block cloudflare's scripts but i guess that is the expected behavior.

I actually just enabled a setting that let's Cloudflare bundle our scripts. It's likely a result of this change. Let me know if this is totally disruptive for you. I mostly trust the Cloudflare folks. Certainly more than Google. ;)

Manarus 02-17-2021 01:21 PM

Ah, that is why I have to answer a captcha and pick bikes and boats every second time I want to update my blog or answer a PM ;)
Sometimes I get a captcha when I just enter the blog or PM section of the forum. Sometimes I have to answer one AFTER editing a blog or PM, and when clicking on SEND. So I am always afraid what happens if I do the captcha wrong because I missed a picture. Will it delete my long long PM (aka not sending it and not returning with the cached writings) and I have to write a new one?

Apart from that, I could live with the captchas if it reduces spam. However, I have to say it is quite annoying at the moment... In a short session in the evening, about 1 hour, I get at least 3 captchas.

By the way, I have great respect in you guys running and maintaining such a site. I know what kind of work that is and what efforts you spend, I really know that. So I appreciate your motivation and I am really glad you are there, so that we can find new friends and enjoy nice chats. It needed to be said :)