getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Account maintenance (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=378454)

Anotherannoyinguser 01-02-2020 07:39 AM

Account maintenance

I would like to request that my posts be deleted/erased and my username be changed. I have been recently stalked by some people who have found my username here and are sending me threatening messages. This username is the same as the one used on most of my social media, and I would also like to have it changed for privacy reasons. If that can be done, and posts referencing my Kik can be deleted, then everything should be fine (this post included). Thank you.

Matt: 01-02-2020 08:14 AM

You *might* be able to get your username changed, if you ask an admin, but I don't think your posts can be deleted.

Anotherannoyinguser 01-02-2020 10:44 AM

As I am an EU citizen, as per GDPR they are legally obliged to delete the information they have on me.

Matt: 01-02-2020 10:54 AM

Not sure that really applies to your posts here. But I guess a mod might be able to edit out parts of your posts if they think you have a genuine reason.

Runesmith 01-02-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foofie99 (Post 3880480)
As I am an EU citizen, as per GDPR they are legally obliged to delete the information they have on me.

GDPR does not cover information that you voluntarily post on the internet, for the express purpose of public display, for which you have given implicit or explicit consent. GDPR applies to specific items of data that is collected from you for specific purposes.

Posting on a public forum implies consent to publicly display what you post - if not, what's the fucking purpose of a forum?

You may be referring to the "right to be forgotten" (which applies to publicly available information about you that you didn't express consent to have published - eg. a news report), but again, that does not apply to posts you voluntarily make on social media.

PrincessJessica 01-02-2020 11:55 AM

Legal reason or not surely there's a moral one? Try contacting Butterfly or one of the other moderators.

Victoria85 01-02-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runesmith (Post 3880520)
GDPR does not cover information that you voluntarily post on the internet, for the express purpose of public display, for which you have given implicit or explicit consent. GDPR applies to specific items of data that is collected from you for specific purposes.

Posting on a public forum implies consent to publicly display what you post - if not, what's the fucking purpose of a forum?

You may be referring to the "right to be forgotten" (which applies to publicly available information about you that you didn't express consent to have published - eg. a news report), but again, that does not apply to posts you voluntarily make on social media.

Right to be forgotten is part of the GDPR. ;)

And under that right, forum posts do not have to be removed as it could lead to strange forum usage. There is an exception for it in the GDPR implementation in The Netherlands at least and surely also the general one.

A profile/registration itself however falls under that right.
And the nickname as well, so under that right, a profile should be at the very least anonimized if somebody calls upon it and posts that have that nickname in it should be changed to the anonimized nickname.

Anotherannoyinguser 01-02-2020 12:54 PM

It's been almost a day and nothing. Butterfly is online and active though so I'm not sure if they just don't respond to requests like this. All I really need is my name changed and posts with my Kik deleted. I'm not asking for account deletion, and mods have said multiple times they will delete posts if needed. I've also seen a post about a name change and I see I believe they got their name changed.

All I'm asking is that my name be changed and a few posts deleted.

Matt: 01-02-2020 12:57 PM

Have you pm'd Butterfly about it? She may not see this thread straight away.

Anotherannoyinguser 01-02-2020 01:02 PM

I have, as well as reporting all my comments. The issue is there are no mods online ever. The only mod/admin I've seen online is butterfly, and I have a feeling she's overworked here.

Anotherannoyinguser 01-02-2020 01:09 PM

And I know that legally they do have a certain amount of time to comply with the documented request to anonymize my name and posts, but I don't anticipate needing to get legal, they admins here do seem pretty nice and reasonable.

Maisha 01-02-2020 03:36 PM

Apparently, according to this:
https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=106870
they will not delete posts on request.

But that was written in 2012, long time before GDPR. Whether GDPR can be used here, might depend on where Getdare itself is located.

On the other hand, I don't really see the point in keeping a user's posts or profile online against the user's will.

Anotherannoyinguser 01-02-2020 05:24 PM

As getdare is available in the EU, they either must comply or cease all operation and service of the website to any EU addresses. I don't want to go that route and I don't think it's necessary. I'll give it a week of reminders before I look into the more legal side of things. I don't want to but I also need these posts deleted and my name changed.

Butterfly 01-02-2020 07:33 PM

Creating more posts for us to delete is just fucking stupid.

Butterfly 01-02-2020 07:39 PM

I have changed your account name and removed/edited the posts which included your kik name or personal info. If you would like anything else done, contact Depp, the site owner.