getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Suggestion Zone (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Just a suggestion (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=347264)

Master.P 07-31-2018 08:16 PM

Just a suggestion

I have a suggestion for the board, to be honest it was not hard to go back to 2015 (only had to go to second page) to see that a similar suggestion has not been made. I have seen that many of the users prefer to real time chat on either skype or kik. Perhaps there could be a profile field that would allow users to enter and have available if they so desired their skype and/or kik usernames. There are mods for this version of the forum software for it, and it could also just be a custom field added for the profile.

Anyways take it or leave it, just a suggestion. If you all like it and either need some assistance on finding a mod or how to make the custom profile fields, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Stopclick 08-01-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master.P (Post 3375110)
I have a suggestion for the board, to be honest it was not hard to go back to 2015 (only had to go to second page) to see that a similar suggestion has not been made. I have seen that many of the users prefer to real time chat on either skype or kik. Perhaps there could be a profile field that would allow users to enter and have available if they so desired their skype and/or kik usernames. There are mods for this version of the forum software for it, and it could also just be a custom field added for the profile.

Anyways take it or leave it, just a suggestion. If you all like it and either need some assistance on finding a mod or how to make the custom profile fields, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

I'm pretty sure there is a profile field already for contact options. It's at least there for skype. Could possibly use a little updating since AIM and MSN aren't really used as much these days. Maybe like Kik and discord instead?

Butterfly 08-01-2018 08:12 AM

There are some fields there for contact info. Another option is to put your Ids in your signature.

Not sure if an admin is able to customize the current fields for different ids or not.

Master.P 08-01-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stopclick (Post 3375793)
I'm pretty sure there is a profile field already for contact options. It's at least there for skype. Could possibly use a little updating since AIM and MSN aren't really used as much these days. Maybe like Kik and discord instead?

Yes you are correct that Skype is there, sorry I missed that one as I was looking for the correct coloring for the skype logo instead of this red one. I would certainly think that some updating could be done. While ICQ is still available the last update to the service was just over 2 years ago. AIM has been out of service since mid Dec. 2017. MSN was merged with Skype and the actual service was no longer available since March/April 2013 except mainland China that ended in 2014. TBH this version of vBulletin is a bit outdated as well, however it is a really great and reliable version, much better than 4 or 5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly (Post 3375836)
There are some fields there for contact info. Another option is to put your Ids in your signature.

Not sure if an admin is able to customize the current fields for different ids or not.

The contact fields are there, however they are outdated and not really suitable for things like Kik or discord. The Admin access to do so would be up to the permissions available to each Admin, in vBulletin terms, not all Admins or Mods are created equally and have equal access. However the main Admin does have access and could grant access on a temp basis to any Admin to be able to do this. Additionally, a test site that is completely separate from GetDare, could be setup so that the fields could be added or changed and then tested to make sure that they are working properly before the implementation is done on the main site. As this is the theoretically correct way to do it according to vBulletin staff, they do permit it and it is part of the license. Mods could also be used, however I think probably the best and easiest way would be to just simply re-purpose the existing fields AIM/MSN for Kik/Discord. That would remove the outdated Messenger Fields that are no longer even available and then open up those. Anyways if needed I'd be happy to throw up a test vBulletin site and make the required changes writing up a step-by-step guide on how to do it. I own a lifetime license of it, and still have my vB 3.8.9 software still in an archive. Anyways again just a suggestion, and I'm happy to help in anyway needed. I spent several years as a vB admin/owner.

wheelsoffeathers 08-12-2018 01:04 PM

Updating the EMOJI's would also be pretty nice