getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Which TV show did you binge watch last? (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=351715)

kaiman 09-30-2021 10:10 AM

Squid game.

Not finished watching it yet, but I'm pumped enough that I will binge the hell out of the first season as soon as I have a free evening.

The pilot was one of the creepiest and most unsettling experience I gout out of a TV show in a looooong time.

I get mad Utopia (UK) vibes from it, and Utopia is hands down one of my favorite shows ever. Borrows a bit from Urasawa's work (especially 20th century boys) and from Kaiji but it's done in a tasteful and personal way.

Writing is top notch and cinematography goes along. The acting is over the top here and there but nothing that took me out of the immersion.

A meaningful, engaging horror story about death, life and misery. Recommended to every fan of horror comics

fromo 09-30-2021 11:17 AM

I have been binge watching Star Trek. I decided to finally give the series a go and see why people like it so much.

I decided to skip the original series and jump right in with Next Generation, I didn't take to it at first but by the end of the second season it started to click, it had a bit of an underwhelming ending but overall I very much enjoyed it!

My personal favourite episode (who's title I cannot re-call) was about one of the crew being taken captive during a mission gathering intel for first contact on a planet who's ideology very much seemed similar to 60's USA and very much running with the Roswell Conspiracy as its inspiration.

Next came Deep Space 9. I found the lead actor to be a bit wooden at times but found it in many ways to be a step up for the series, it was nice to see more of an on going plot even instead of the adventure of the episode format most of Next Generation had.
I don't know if I had a single episode that stood out to me though I did like allot of the social economic reform episodes based around the Ferengi who had previously only really been portrayed as an ugly alien antagonist roll in Next Generation.
The series gave a good view into how the universe at large works beyond the exploration and discovery element the series had previously.

Next came Voyager and what has to be my favourite of the series so far! The premise of this series being a ship is thrown across the galaxy and they have to find a way home. It's able to lean nicely still on the exploration aspects but still has a driving factor that is inching ever so closer to home.
The stand out characters in this series for me easily had to be the sarcastic EMH and the stoic 7of9.
I would of liked to see the series focus a bit more closely during its first season on the major changes that had to be made to the ships running, the fact it couldn't easily get repairs, the limited resources ect. allot of that early potential problems seems a bit too glossed over.
The series delivers allot on something I had hoped to see more of in next generation, that being confrontation with the Borg. The series also has a nicely concluding ending, though part of me wishes it had ended slightly differently. I would get into spoilers to discus that though sadly.

Next up came Enterprise! This series was a step forwards, whilst taking a step backwards in time, being set about a century before the original series following the first captain to officially leave human space to explore the greater cosmos. It does a great job showing the progress of human kind the the idea of where we are now, to when the series is set to the heights of what they are by the time of Next Generation. It does without allot of the series creature comforts and that works greatly to the series benefit.
It's helped along greatly by the lead actor who I have previously known as the lead in Quantum Leap, a series I have a soft spot for. Sadly the ending of the series felt a bit sudden, like it could of had much more build up but likely had to be rushed due to the series facing cancelation from an over saturation of Star Trek generally.

I'm currently working my way through Discovery, the bump in production quality is a welcome sight and being in the 3rd season it's throwing around some very interesting idea's though I have to be honest, there are quite a few missteps. The main character feels like a work of fan fiction rather then being a fully realised character, leaning too heavily on established aspects of the series. She is the half sister of Spock... a character that the series is most well known for. As far as i'm aware she had not been a part of the franchise up unto this point... for one of its most well known characters...
Discovery ranks probably the lowest out of the series I've seen so far though it doesn't by any means make it bad its just some idea's not executed the best at times. I'll reserve my full judgement for when the series concludes fully but I highly doubt it'll come out ahead of Voyager any time soon.

So... with all this in mind.. it's safe to say i've become a Trek fan XD. There are hundreds of books I could potentially read... but over the last year i've been working my way through the series and very much been enjoying myself!
Have yet to decide what I'm going to move onto next though for my next long series binge... maybe finally return to Stargate, I haven't watched any of that in over 15 years...

chiefsfan 10-02-2021 10:57 AM

I've recently been binging/watching NCIS, Marvel's What If, Grey's Anatomy, Station 19, and recently finished the latest season of Big Brother.

Lord-Lanky 10-03-2021 07:51 PM

The last TV show I binged was Once Upon a Time season 2.
Need to watch season 3 soon.

Demon Thief 10-13-2021 03:57 AM

I'm in between shows right now, but I'm going to watch Wandavision, Marvel's What If?, and Better Call Saul

nina@ 10-13-2021 01:34 PM

Virgin River, the Circle S3 and The Spy

LPV 10-13-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nina@ (Post 4537699)
Virgin River, Circle and The Spy

You are here!!!!!! So nice to see you, Nina.

I finished Virgin River some time ago. just watched Start Up and Imposters again. SO good!

nina@ 10-13-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPV (Post 4537716)
You are here!!!!!! So nice to see you, Nina.

I finished Virgin River some time ago. just watched Start Up and Imposters again. SO good!

Yeah saw Virgin River a while back when new season was released, lovely scenic beauty, this is the cumulative binge watching of last few months..lol

solosub 10-13-2021 01:46 PM

The last one that I straight up binged was probably Game of Thrones

Runesmith 10-14-2021 08:44 AM

I binge-watched Miracle Workers series 1 and 2 some time back... And series 3 just started.

Aster.x 10-14-2021 09:31 AM

Last show I watched was demon slayer marathon

Computergeek94 10-14-2021 09:32 AM

Star Wars: The Clone Wars, currently working through season 6

Goddess Joanna 10-14-2021 06:00 PM

I'm gonna rewatch What We Do In the Shadows for the laughs. It's currently on air now, and in it's 3rd season.

nina@ 10-17-2021 06:21 PM

Squid Game
Dark but engaging, nothing like I have ever watched before, would definitely recommend others to binge watch the series if you're not faint hearted. Totally worth it!!

saltychip 10-18-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nina@ (Post 4542379)
Squid Game
Dark but engaging, nothing like I have ever watched before, would definitely recommend others to binge watch the series if you're not faint hearted. Totally worth it!!

You might like Alice in Borderland if you haven't seen it yet!