Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Memoirs of a Dork

I have a lot of things I should talk about and it is easier for me to do that on a random website to a bunch of strangers. You can comment on my stuff or not, but the majority of my blog posts will be personal things that are difficult for me to talk about out loud.
Rate this Entry

How to Use Safe Words

Posted 06-09-2015 at 02:57 PM by techiegirl
Updated 06-17-2015 at 09:54 AM by techiegirl

Safe words are phrases or a single word decided upon in a D/s relationship before a scene starts or any kinky activity is engaged in.

The most typical safe words you might here are Green, Yellow, Red. These are actually the safe words I use. Usually, the usage of these words are universal.
Green: Everything is fine. I'm okay. More.
Yellow: Slow down. Change what we're doing.
Red: Stop. I'm scared. I'm hurt. No more. End the scene. No.

Why not just say no?
Well, using myself as an example, during scenes I become aggressive and mouthy. I will say, "No! Stop. Shut up. I don't want to," without actually meaning it. So, if I want to communicate that I am actually in distress, I'll safe word.

For some reason, and I am totally guilty of this myself, this is a negative stigma that people tend to associate with safe wording. Doms will sometimes believe that they messed up the scene and subs tend to think they should have been stronger.

There is nothing wrong with a safe word being used in a scene.

In fact, viewing it as a bad thing might make the sub less willing to be honest in a scene, which is very dangerous.

Safe words tend to be used more as you start out a D/s relationship, specifically during the 'trial period' before a relationship is officially started. Usually, safe words are used less frequently as relationships progress because the dom and sub learn to read each other better.

If a sub safe words:

Doms~Don't blame the sub. Don't tell them they should have held out more. Don't start blaming yourself. It's not your fault, you guys are still learning and blaming yourself will also make your sub feel awful.

Subs~Don't blame yourself. Don't blame the dom. You communicated your feelings and there is nothing wrong with that. Talk about your feelings. Don't apologize. Communicate and try to learn from the experience.

What happened to make the sub go into distress? Were their limits pushed? Was something triggering said? Was there not enough communication? Talk it over and do not blame each other.

If a dom safe words:

Doms~Do not blame yourself. The sub isn't mad at you. They are just concerned and probably worried. Don't apologize. Talk to the other people in the scene and try to explain what you're feeling. Don't try to tough it out, there is nothing wrong with safe wording.

Subs~ Don't blame the dom and do not be angry at them (I literally just said you aren't mad so don't make me a liar). Do not blame yourself. Blaming yourself will just make everyone feel awful. It isn't your fault.

Once again, communicate with everyone involved and try to understand what caused so much distress. Was something too intense? Did someone have to do something that pushed a limit? Talk to each other.

Now, not everyone uses Green, Yellow, and Red. Some people have a word that will end all play immediately. A word like, I don't know, "Impala"

Something that isn't said in a scene, but if anyone says it, the scene ends immediately.

Sometimes, the scene only pauses with a singular safe word, just so the people involved can discuss what's wrong and try to fix it.

It depends on what type of relationship you have and what is most comfortable for you. Personally, I prefer the traffic lights as it gives me more options than just 'No' or 'Stop'

Talk it over with your playmate(s) and figure out what works for you.

Happy hunting.
Posted in How To's
Views 1498 Comments 3
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Lovely again, thank you! This actually reminds me of an article I read a while back where the author explained safewords exist to keep the scene going not hold it up or end it - if something goes wrong, all play is over and may not happen with that person again, but even calling red in a scene to stop activity X provides a chance to pause, assess, treat, and find a way to continue. I love that perspective much more than the usual safewords as emergency brakes that mean the dom has made a wrong choice or the sub is too weak or whatever other rubbish. I very much agree with your emphasis on communication, and I hope people take it to heart.

And now for some reason I feel the urge to watch Supernatural...
    Posted 06-09-2015 at 04:29 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Safe words always need to be used.

Hypocritical, as CBT and I don't have a safe word. (Although he is free to tell me if he can't do a task etc.)

Neither do Cent and I, I'm going to use him as a example as it's just easier as I knew him longer.

For him, I say I don't want to but never mean it. (I do at times but still do it. Most of the time, I don't mind.)

However, he can read me well, if I say I am uncomfortable, play goes slower than usual.

This is hurting me ends it.

This is just what I noticed with our play.

So we may have safe words in sense but it isn't a typical one word.

They are different for everyone and I do believe if something is wrong, speak up or its only going to get worse.
  3. Old Comment
    I believe safewords are incredibly important and I feel like they are a great tool. One of the first things I did as a Domme was make sure that my my sub was comfortable using his safeword. We would push his limits purposefully and in a controlled environment so he could see that it was ok to use it.

I believe in pushing my limits with Asslvr now that we are more comfortable together and I know that as we enter unchartered territory we might hit roadbumps along the way and I might have reactions that are unexpected or he might feel uncomfortable and so it is important that we both feel comfortable with our safewords so that we can keep me safe.

We have two safewords: Pause and Butterfly. I use pause to pause the scene if things are overwhelming or scary, but I am not ready to stop. Play stops or slows down and we can talk about it and make sure everything is ok and change things if we need to. Butterfly means stop now! Even if I use butterfly it doesn't mean that play has to be over, but it means something is seriously wrong and I need cuddles.

Thank you so much for writing this blog. I feel like there are so many negative stigmas and views attached to safewords, and it is nice to see the positive uses highlighted.