Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Bleona's Life

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen bitch.
Rate this Entry

The new member dilemma

Posted 10-05-2016 at 10:11 AM by bleonav06

Every month the newfags of the site join and kind of muck everything up until they eventually learn what to do and how everything works. But maybe there is a way that we can decrease this period to before the person even has a chance to look at the site.

I am proposing a getDare tutorial for members that sign up. This would not only wade out spammers but would teach people where to post things and would force people to read the rules of the forum before joining.

This would get rid of people posting shit one liner ads and posting requests for dares in the dares section and would let all new members come in here knowing what they are doing.

I think this would help wade out spammers because some of them are going to be too lazy to go through the tutorial just to place their bullshit here, so I think that if this is possible then it could make the site a much better place
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1173 Comments 21
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 21

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Well, i think actually that is a good idea.
    Already some attempt was made. But its a bit burried.
    >>here<<
  2. Old Comment
    I'm sorry - "newfags" "muck everything up"? We need to "teach people" and "force people", because that would "get rid of people"? And that is a "good idea"?

Ha! 4chan! Gotta love you guys! Thumbs aloft!
  3. Old Comment
    Everyone was new and finding their way at one time. Including you, dear OP. I think it would be nice to have something that directs people a little more clearly to the explanatory sections of the site so people are aware, so in that sense I agree with you. But it is not merely the new people who 'muck' things up. Sometimes it's people who have been here for months and years who make certain interactions on here downright miserable.

I'm not sure it would wade out spammers per se. Or force people to read the rules of the forum - this I imagine would work like the Terms of Service we all agree to after scrolling through really quickly, skimming at best. Unless you're one of those people who reads all of those, then kudos, I applaud you.

People need a grace period, because people are imperfect, not everyone has worked with a forum-based site before, and sometimes we make mistakes. That's why I appreciate our mods who do patiently remind people, explain things, move threads, and then deal with those who are not making an effort or are deliberately going against the community guidelines.

A tutorial works for those who are posting one-liner ads because they don't know what else to write, who don't know what their options even are when requesting dares, etc.

What about the other side of this? How would the tutorial address people giving unsafe dares, though? Or simply ones that are poorly thought out? What about how to reply to ads (because as someone who posted a substantial ad, the issue is not merely with ads posted but how people choose to reply), and how to message other users decently? Would the tutorial also include what is and is not proper conduct in a chat room? Could it include connecting new users with more seasoned ones (because we have some incredibly long-term users on this site) in a kind of orientation/mentorship sort of way?

Or are you more just frustrated with having to wade through a lot of 'spam' and brief ads/posts in the threads to find what you're looking for?

If the issue is just getting people to read the rules...then I don't know how a tutorial is going to accomplish that. The Terms of Service phenomenon I described above - people will click through the tutorial as quick as possible.

If the issue is getting people to understand and adhere to the community guidelines and give them some genuine assistance in navigating the site and being a part of the community so they can enjoy gD too, then I think there are a lot more elements that could and probably should be addressed in a tutorial.
    Posted 10-05-2016 at 12:41 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naughtylittlegirl View Comment
    Everyone was new and finding their way at one time. Including you, dear OP. I think it would be nice to have something that directs people a little more clearly to the explanatory sections of the site so people are aware, so in that sense I agree with you. But it is not merely the new people who 'muck' things up. Sometimes it's people who have been here for months and years who make certain interactions on here downright miserable.

I'm not sure it would wade out spammers per se. Or force people to read the rules of the forum - this I imagine would work like the Terms of Service we all agree to after scrolling through really quickly, skimming at best. Unless you're one of those people who reads all of those, then kudos, I applaud you.

People need a grace period, because people are imperfect, not everyone has worked with a forum-based site before, and sometimes we make mistakes. That's why I appreciate our mods who do patiently remind people, explain things, move threads, and then deal with those who are not making an effort or are deliberately going against the community guidelines.

A tutorial works for those who are posting one-liner ads because they don't know what else to write, who don't know what their options even are when requesting dares, etc.

What about the other side of this? How would the tutorial address people giving unsafe dares, though? Or simply ones that are poorly thought out? What about how to reply to ads (because as someone who posted a substantial ad, the issue is not merely with ads posted but how people choose to reply), and how to message other users decently? Would the tutorial also include what is and is not proper conduct in a chat room? Could it include connecting new users with more seasoned ones (because we have some incredibly long-term users on this site) in a kind of orientation/mentorship sort of way?

Or are you more just frustrated with having to wade through a lot of 'spam' and brief ads/posts in the threads to find what you're looking for?

If the issue is just getting people to read the rules...then I don't know how a tutorial is going to accomplish that. The Terms of Service phenomenon I described above - people will click through the tutorial as quick as possible.

If the issue is getting people to understand and adhere to the community guidelines and give them some genuine assistance in navigating the site and being a part of the community so they can enjoy gD too, then I think there are a lot more elements that could and probably should be addressed in a tutorial.
    I pictured it more as something like sexual harassment training where you may have to read something and then answer a question on it. By the way I do read all the terms of service because I want to know what I am signing up for. And while yes there are members who have been here for a long time who do stupid shit, this is meant for new people who not purposely by nevertheless still create shit posts. I think that this would help people that want to be helped.

Maybe we could have a volunteer program where adult members can walk new members through the ropes but I just want there to be something so that the new people that join the site can become acclimated to the environment here without disrupting the flow of the more senior members.
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cstelle View Comment
    I'm sorry - "newfags" "muck everything up"? We need to "teach people" and "force people", because that would "get rid of people"? And that is a "good idea"?

Ha! 4chan! Gotta love you guys! Thumbs aloft!
    forcing people to read the rules is hardly immoral, since you want to be such a moralfag
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bleonav06 View Comment
    forcing people to read the rules is hardly immoral, since you want to be such a moralfag
    Absolutely! Brilliant!

7. Old Comment
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSpuds View Comment
    fully aware, which is why I can verify that it is difficult for someone to join the site so I want them to be helped
  9. Old Comment
    This won't work. I've been a content reviewer and chat moderator on another adult site, and it's whack-a-mole. Kill one, another one comes. You can require people to read a page of rules and click past them, but trolls are still going to troll, catfish are going to catfish, and idiots will be idiots. We had this discussion on one of the forum threads. The dynamic of public Internet sites will never change.
    Updated 10-05-2016 at 06:41 PM by DJ-playmate (typo)
  10. Old Comment
    What do you think should be done about people who choose to use slurs in a derogatory manner against people outside of a negotiated scene/dare that involves humiliation? I mean people who in a public forum, in threads, in comments, using highly offensive slurs not as part of a BDSM/kink dynamic but because they're...frustrated or annoyed with someone?
    Posted 10-05-2016 at 10:35 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  11. Old Comment
    Common sense prevails. Wow, I cant believe I typed that with a straight face. But it should. Good manners go a long way (says the rudest person around) and common sense guides us. If someone is genuine and they make a mistake, it is usually apparant. If someone is a brainless troll, it is usually apparant. The genuine people will learn, the idiots wont, and no amount of classes or tutorials will ever change this.
  12. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbusiveMaster View Comment
    Common sense prevails. Wow, I cant believe I typed that with a straight face. But it should. Good manners go a long way (says the rudest person around) and common sense guides us. If someone is genuine and they make a mistake, it is usually apparant. If someone is a brainless troll, it is usually apparant. The genuine people will learn, the idiots wont, and no amount of classes or tutorials will ever change this.
    My point was to help the genuine people with maybe screening out of trolls as a side effect
  13. Old Comment
    Quote:
    What do you think should be done about people who choose to use slurs in a derogatory manner against people outside of a negotiated scene/dare that involves humiliation? I mean people who in a public forum, in threads, in comments, using highly offensive slurs not as part of a BDSM/kink dynamic but because they're...frustrated or annoyed with someone?
    Its their opinion and in a public forum they should be allowed to say such things. Now usually if someone is at that point in an argument where they have to use derogatory terms then they have no ammo left and if you have quality argumentative skills then you should be able to break them down and beat them up
  14. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Its their opinion and in a public forum they should be allowed to say such things. Now usually if someone is at that point in an argument where they have to use derogatory terms then they have no ammo left and if you have quality argumentative skills then you should be able to break them down and beat them up
    I am inclined to agree. The tactic of resorting to name-calling, slurs, even using a tone of disdain, is highly damaging to one's argument because it alienates the audience. Argument ought to be about progress regarding a topic, convincing people to join one's side - I think that is far better proof of a quality argument and good thought behind it than any response that consists of lashing out rather than discussion.

I don't know you very well beyond reading your blogs, but for someone mature, focused, and intelligent enough to already be headed for medical school, I imagine you already understand such an approach But I am curious about your perspective nonetheless.
    Posted 10-06-2016 at 03:12 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  15. Old Comment
    Quote:
    I am inclined to agree. The tactic of resorting to name-calling, slurs, even using a tone of disdain, is highly damaging to one's argument because it alienates the audience. Argument ought to be about progress regarding a topic, convincing people to join one's side - I think that is far better proof of a quality argument and good thought behind it than any response that consists of lashing out rather than discussion.

I don't know you very well beyond reading your blogs, but for someone mature, focused, and intelligent enough to already be headed for medical school, I imagine you already understand such an approach But I am curious about your perspective nonetheless.
    Maturity is not necessarily a prerequisite for something like that, rather it is developed during the arduous process.

If you wanted to get to know me better you could check out my ama its kinda long but chock full of good info
  16. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Maturity is not necessarily a prerequisite for something like that, rather it is developed during the arduous process.

If you wanted to get to know me better you could check out my ama its kinda long but chock full of good info
    Yes, thankfully maturity is perpetually in developed. And while it is not a prerequisite, I don't imagine many take on medical studies when they have no appreciation for education, hard work, commitment, etc. That's all I meant

I did check out your AMA, which is nice for facts about you, but I find I see more of who a person's character and perspective/philosophy in blogs and by observing how they respond to others.
    Posted 10-06-2016 at 04:32 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  17. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Yes, thankfully maturity is perpetually in developed. And while it is not a prerequisite, I don't imagine many take on medical studies when they have no appreciation for education, hard work, commitment, etc. That's all I meant

I did check out your AMA, which is nice for facts about you, but I find I see more of who a person's character and perspective/philosophy in blogs and by observing how they respond to others.
    My perspective can be quite harsh at times and I am not necessarily the most progressive person ever. There are some things that occur in society today that I think are completely ridiculous.
  18. Old Comment
    @bleonav06: It shows
    Posted 10-06-2016 at 11:03 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  19. Old Comment
    Quote:
    @bleonav06: It shows
    oh well if other people get offended by my comments then they can fornicate themselves with a stick. (Don't actually do that it sounds dangerous and quite unpleasant. Unless I hate you in which case you need to swallow a stick that has been heated to the boiling point of tungsten at stp)
  20. Old Comment
    Quote:
    oh well if other people get offended by my comments then they can fornicate themselves with a stick. (Don't actually do that it sounds dangerous and quite unpleasant. Unless I hate you in which case you need to swallow a stick that has been heated to the boiling point of tungsten at stp)
    Well, sure, what else would we do? Simply disagree because we have different belief systems, philosophies, and experiences?

I guess the real question is, do you hate me? Because I'm going to need to figure out how to heat a stick to the boiling point of tungsten without said stick burning like wood usually does.
    Posted 10-07-2016 at 12:47 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  21. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Well, sure, what else would we do? Simply disagree because we have different belief systems, philosophies, and experiences?

I guess the real question is, do you hate me? Because I'm going to need to figure out how to heat a stick to the boiling point of tungsten without said stick burning like wood usually does.
    No I have no reason to hate you, you seem like a nice person.

There is a phenomenon called superheating which allows for a substance to go over its boiling point without vaporizing.