Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rate this Entry

"Global Warming is Warming up US winters"

Posted 06-17-2009 at 09:44 AM by lokelake

This statement I believe is false. While the cold may not be as cold as 50 years ago, it is still very cold. I am talking about the winters in the north.

All there needs to be is having a flow from the south (winds blowing north) then there are warmer days ahead. If winds comes from the north, then the days will be cold. So, the north can be warm in winter, not nesessarly becuase of global warming, but becuase warm air is being pumped up from the south.

Also, what can effect the winter, is El Nino, and LaNina. While I am not an expert on both of them, I have learned, that if a strong El Nino sets up, then the winter will be warm. If an week El Nino sets up, then the winter will be cold. I'm not sure about a La Nina.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1207 Comments 9
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I hope we just get a long stretch of cold weather, below average from a scientific perspective, like 2 degrees on average below for the whole world for like the next 10 years, to shut up all these global warming people, if you look at the "warm up" on a much larger scale, over the entire life of earth it is very clear the the earth has ups and downs of temperatures, its natural, it just happens to be now and people are using this for a number of reasons be it political, economic, or even for some companies just for marketing the whole "green" thing is a scam.
    http://199.6.131.12/en/scictr/watch/...obal_temp2.jpg
    Also if all these people who believe global warming is real why in the past year or so have they changed it from "global warming" to "climate change" the simple answer is these people do not know what they are talking about.
    Yes we should take care of the world we live in and try to find alternative and cleaner sources of energy, but to turn this in to an apocalyptic vison is a total sham
    (just wrote a paper on this, so its still fresh in my mind)
  2. Old Comment
    If global warming is your only reason to switch to "green" technologies, then you're sick in the head.

*this was directed toward dareboy2*
  3. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Where'sFluffy? View Comment
    If global warming is your only reason to switch to "green" technologies, then you're sick in the head.

*this was directed toward dareboy2*
    please re-read the last part of my post, i clearly said i think we should take good care of the earth, i just think that to blow something like this out of proportion, is just as "sick in the head"

*this is directed at al gore*
  4. Old Comment
    Guys I am super serial! Global warming exists!! Why wont anyone believe me!!!

With all seriousness, Global Warming is something used by companies to make them money by charging extra for "green" products
  5. Old Comment
    That joke was begged for.
  6. Old Comment
    well played manbearpig haha well played
  7. Old Comment
    Here in Ohio we pretty much find Global warming a joke, especially in the winter. They keep saying the amount of snowfall will is going down and we won't see blizzards anymore. If that is true, why did we have 2 major snow storms in the last 2 years, one of them being a blizzard. This year we had about 12 inches of snowfall in 48 hours, and last year in the middle of March we had officially 26 inches of snow in about a 24 hour period. If that is down from what we had even 5 years ago, then I must have slept through all the blizzards then. =)
  8. Old Comment
    I know what you mean nate2010. This past winter, I was getting snow constantly. I am in Massachusetts. And, late December and all of January was very cold.
  9. Old Comment

A Dissenting Opinion...

Hi. While in your case the amount of snow may be increasing, it is still an effect of Global Warming. I don't mean to sound like I'm just quoting The Day After Tomorrow, but the movie does actually have a point. The entire Northern Hemisphere's climate is controlled by the Gulf Stream, and as the Earth warms, large sheets of frozen fresh water break off from the poles and as they melt, more fresh water is released into the Gulf Stream, upsetting the balance of fresh and salt water (fresh water and salt water have different freezing and boiling points) which is causing the flow of warm and cold water in the Gulf Stream to change, slow, and then eventually stagnate, thus resulting in another Ice Age...

Wow, Hollywood actually got its facts straight for once!