Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > RiskyFlame

Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.

HID - Always Updatable Posts (updated)

Posted 03-27-2020 at 12:37 PM by RiskyFlame
Updated 08-27-2020 at 06:16 AM by RiskyFlame
Tags hid, images

Never have I seen someone use this on getDare even though I posted this blog entry four years ago. Nevertheless, here's an updated version which is more straight to the point.

Introduction
As some of you know, you cannot edit your post(s) after 6205 minutes (4 days, 7 hours and 25 minutes). This can be annoying if you'd like to keep updating your thread post with new information such as rankings, graphs, statistics, to-do lists, or thread related information. Fortunate for you, there's a way to go around this limit by posting an image and updating this image somewhere else. This blog entry will explain this trick.

Contents
  1. Posting updateable images on getDare.
  2. Converting text to images.
  3. Updating your image.
  4. Facts.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Posting updatable images
Below you're read a step-by-step explanation on how you'll be able to post the updateable image on getDare. You'll need a Google Drive account for this trick to work.

1a. image
Create a free Google Drive account: a cloud with 15 GB of storage. Once you are logged in, create a folder in which you want to put the image. You don't necessarily need to create a folder, but it's great for organising your files.

1b. image
Right-click on the folder and select 'Share...'.

2. image
Click on 'Change...'.

3. image
Select 'On - Anyone with the link' and click on 'Save'. This setting is required for this trick to work or rather to be able to host the image. Opting for the On - Public on the web' will also work.

4. image
Go back to the image in the folder and double click on the image. The image should pop-up. In the upper right corner, click on the three dots and on 'Open in new window'.

5. image
Go to the URL, select and copy the long code between /file/d/ and /view.

Paste the code (of the image you want to host) behind the following link.
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=
This link functions as a normal image link, which means that you can post it as an image on getDare using the 'Insert Image' function.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Converting text to images
I have made an example image of two different methods you can use to convert your text to an image. The first image is made using Microsoft Office Word (2007/2010/2013/2016/365), and the second image is made using an online tool.

A.

B.

Updating your image
If you want to update the image, go to the folder on your Google Drive in which your image is saved. Then follow the next steps.

1. Right-click on the image and select 'Manage versions'.

2. Click on Upload new version' and select the image you want to replace your current image with.

3. There is no step three. You don't have to update the link to your image because the new version of the image uses the same link; called a permalink.

Tips and reminders
  • The optimal width of an image in a thread or post is 711 pixels wide.
  • The optimal width of an image in a blog is 681 pixels wide.
  • You can only edit your thread or post within four days after posting it online.
  • You can use pictures as a hidden link, using it as a preview image.
  • Hosting an image using this trick is completely anonymous.
  • Users cannot copy the text in the image.
  • If you delete the image, the post will be incomplete.
  • I used the following image for the image examples.
Posted in How I Do
Views 4794 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Brilliant! Thanks for that guide. I missed out on that opportunity several times already.