Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > I love words

Welcome to getDare
Join the latest fashion of Promises.
Ever tried one of my fap roulettes?
Did you know about PM dares? A nice and gentle way to start playing here.
You can get a lot of PM dares by sending them in the PM dare bashing game.
Rate this Entry

Rule design experience

Posted 11-28-2017 at 09:27 AM by CSasha

I love games, including designing rules. My rules, games and other creations tend to be overly complicated or at least sophisticated, so take my following experience share with a grain of salt, please.

1. Rewards work better than punishments. Players love rewards. People love rewards. Make your rewards valueable to others, and you can indirectly lead those others behavior by offering these rewards for the behavior you want to see.
I may not be sure if providing a +10 here for writing (and calculating) the sum, but most people do it now (fewer would have already been enough). On the other hand that might have devalued other rewards for different behavior I wanted, and hence damaged those rules effectiveness.
But don't get me wrong. There's a difference between a risk, costs, losses and punishments.

2. Everyone's mental capacity is limited. Less rules work way better than more rules. I know I am a bad example for this. I want too much. I test too little. Research Emergence/Emergent intelligence. From very little can come very much.

3. You can change rules. The outcome of player behavior by rules is a bit predictable, but a lot of surprise. So you have to use them, test, observer, and then change them.
But, the reliability of rules also generate the mutual trust between the organizer and particpants of a game or enforcer of rules. When rules become unreliable, they become obsolete. Every player commits to play the game by the given rules (called consent). Players quit (at least motivation decreases) whenever you change the rules without mutual agreement. So be careful about that. Consider the effects of the rule set before you start a game, including as a player.

4. Rely on unwritten rules, but not too much.
There are always certain established rules, like to not write in CAPS all the time, or not double posting on a users add thread. Still, you might want to make sure nobody exploits that you haven't established that rule. But, depending on the history and culture of your audience or fellow players, you'll be surprised how much people anticipate. People most often behave. It just is very annoying when they don't.

5. Some rules only work for some players, but still have great effect. Some people have special abilities or circumstances, so they perform some actions that others don't. A rule doesn't has to be effectove for everyone.

6. If you lead players through mine fields, you will lose plenty of them.
While you can guide players' behavior by rewards pretty well, if you abuse that power, they will get exhausted and stop. The best games are the ones that change people for good, let them live fantasies and make experiences in a healthy balance, and make them do at least partly what they want to do, what they like and what benefits them.

Tell me, please, what is your experience with rules?
Posted in Games, TORD Online
Views 2055 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments