Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > What Strikes My Mind

An assortment of my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and poor attempts at humor, all rolled into one easily digestable package.
Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

I Don't Like Christmas

Posted 12-05-2009 at 09:59 PM by Odiefrom

I haven't posted in a while, and the first thing I say is, "I Don't Like Christmas." I do like some parts, like the families and friends coming together, giving gifts, and good meals. But I really dislike the rest.
Like how people go crazy on buying hundreds of dollars of gifts for each person. Why must you give that much? Me personally, I'd be happy with one book in total. But somepeople find happiness in giving a lot, so to each their own.
Why must we not give gifts when we want? Why do gifts have to be given on designated days, like Christmas, birthdays, and the such? Giving with a gracious heart means always giving, not giving a lot on one day.
When it's Christmas, prices on common gift items go up. But they don't do it all it once, they make it gradual so you won't notice. For example, I have a cousin for whom I bought a Lego set (those building bricks). If I bought it 2 months ago, it would have been $30 USD. But since I bought it now, it was $50 USD. That makes me mad.
Why is it that beggers seem to think that saying "it's the holidays" will get them more money? I usually give some money to beggers, but not when they say that.
Christmas is beautiful when it is simple. Let it be simple, and I PROMISE you it will be better.

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Years!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20182 Comments 24
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 24

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I agree, I am happy when the only thing on my list is given.

A simple Christmas would be better. Just one gift to each person you are going to give gifts to, and pretty soon all of those people have 3 or 5 gifts a piece. So, you are still getting some more gifts but obviously not 34 or something.

Simple=Easier=Better

Its simple, and a Merry Christmas to you too!!

And a happy new year
  2. Old Comment
    Technically, Christmas shouldn't be about buying people gifts. It should be about celebrating our Lord's birthday.
  3. Old Comment
    Posted 12-06-2009 at 05:09 AM by Slenderman - Doctor Slenderman - Doctor is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Comment
    Agreed Marvin.

Agreed.
  5. Old Comment
    While I agree that the focus of the holiday should be focused on the religious aspect, that would be another whole can of worms to deal with.
  6. Old Comment
    Oh my gosh, Marvin is punching himself in the face!
  7. Old Comment
    *laughs*

But, seriously, no
    Posted 12-06-2009 at 08:52 AM by Slenderman - Doctor Slenderman - Doctor is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odiefrom View Comment
    focused on the religious aspect, that would be another whole can of worms to deal with.
    Not really. Christmas is still Christmas. Remember, the only reason why basically everyone does gifts, was because a long time ago, someone give poor (I think) kids toys on Christmas. So, it naturally just became a custom to all.

While me and my family also does it, me and my siblings just about out grew getting presents on Christmas.
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokelake View Comment
    Not really. Christmas is still Christmas. Remember, the only reason why basically everyone does gifts, was because a long time ago, someone give poor (I think) kids toys on Christmas. So, it naturally just became a custom to all.
    That isn't the only reason people give gifts, it's the only reason religious people give gifts.
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trixie View Comment
    That isn't the only reason people give gifts, it's the only reason religious people give gifts.
    What religion does/did it?
  11. Old Comment
    I doubt everyone gives gifts because of that as I've never even heard of your vague description of why gifts are given.
  12. Old Comment
    Christmas is and never really has been about somerandom kid getting born in a barn. Its always been a festival one way or the other, Christians just did their usual thing of barging in and trying to take over, luckily Coke saved us from them!

I love Christmas/Xmas/Cokesmas/Drinkandeatyourselfsillysmas I HATE December. I HATE getting asked ooo have you done your christmas shopping yet (in the first 2 weeks of December) I HATE the stress people put themselves under for Christmas I HATE constantly being hit in the face by OMG CHRISTMAS IS COMING etc etc.

What other culture spends 5 or 6 weeks preparing for a 3 day festival that is celebrated in small groups within the home?
  13. Old Comment
    *throws Coke can at Dice7*

Ey!

Deep breaths
    Posted 12-06-2009 at 10:56 AM by Slenderman - Doctor Slenderman - Doctor is offline
  14. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dice7 View Comment
    Christmas is and never really has been about somerandom kid getting born in a barn. Its always been a festival one way or the other, Christians just did their usual thing of barging in and trying to take over, luckily Coke saved us from them!

I love Christmas/Xmas/Cokesmas/Drinkandeatyourselfsillysmas I HATE December. I HATE getting asked ooo have you done your christmas shopping yet (in the first 2 weeks of December) I HATE the stress people put themselves under for Christmas I HATE constantly being hit in the face by OMG CHRISTMAS IS COMING etc etc.

What other culture spends 5 or 6 weeks preparing for a 3 day festival that is celebrated in small groups within the home?
    Wasn't Christmas a Pegan festival?. But Christians wiped them out and made it THEIRS. To be honest...Christianity stole everything. Pegan, Wicca, were the originals in my eyes.
  15. Old Comment
    Uhm. Christmas is Christs b-day. The 3 old people came and gave gifts to little Christ. I think that's where it came from.. lol
  16. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LittleRayRay View Comment
    Uhm. Christmas is Christs b-day. The 3 old people came and gave gifts to little Christ. I think that's where it came from.. lol
    The three wise men. They brought myrr and gold and frankincense.
  17. Old Comment
    Still though...the ORIGINAL Route was the Pagens
  18. Old Comment
    It was indeed of Pagan origin- the feast of the son of Isis.

As an aside- there is NO evidence that jesus was born on December 25th, and he was according to historical record about two years old when the three Magi visited.
  19. Old Comment
    I'm pretty sure Jesus was born in the summer
  20. Old Comment
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't born at all!. Just some random story made up by bored people.
  21. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Night-1991 View Comment
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't born at all!. Just some random story made up by bored people.
    You don't know that as fact. Imagine if it were true, you shouldn't be so quick to shoot things down.
    Updated 12-07-2009 at 03:31 AM by Trixie
  22. Old Comment
    Quote:
    You don't know that as fact. Imagine if it was true, you shouldn't be so quick to shoot things down.
    It's my views. Loke and everyone else has the right to express views on Religion just as much as i do.
  23. Old Comment
    Quote:
    You don't know that as fact. Imagine if it were true, you shouldn't be so quick to shoot things down.
    Surely it being true would make it even more reasonable for him to say it? If jesus has never been born then the whole of the new testament is less factual than a Dan Brown novel... re-written to include characters from Harry Potter... set in Middle Earth (ok, maybe more factual than that... but not by much)
  24. Old Comment
    By 'another whole can of worms', I didn't intend to mean to have a holy war here, I just meant that religion would end up being more fuel for my rant. But after reading all these comments, I have some things to point out, some very similar to those above. And while I don't want to exclude anyone due to religion, it is a part of this holiday.
    >We don't know when Christ was born. Not a clue. The best estimates are actually in early September. December was chosen just for the fun of it, a 'why not' decision. How can you support a 'why not' based holiday?
    >Yes it is good to remember the day God gave us Jesus the Christ. He gave the ultimate gift, so we show his love through buying gifts for others. While we can do it extra on this day, we are called to show his love daily. It would hypocritical then to 'turn on and off' love like a light.
    >The 'old men' are actually wise men or sages. Everyone assumes that they were there right when Jesus was born from the thousands of nativity scenes out there. Actually, Jesus was over three years old when they showed up. Just an example of how this holiday skews religion.

People assume that this holiday, Christmas is perfect becauuse it is religous based. Once you see the faults in that, then yoou can see the how we humans have screwed it up.

[Sorry for ranting again lol. Just got going.]