Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

The power of positivity

Posted 01-15-2019 at 09:58 PM by Butterfly

It is no secret that I had a shitty 2018. I went through a lot of trauma and drama and my anxiety was at an all time high this past fall. There was a lot of negativity is many different areas of my life.

It is so easy to get sucked into the negativity. To focus on the negative things, and forget the positive. Humans are designed to focus on the negative. To be ready to fight or flight. To stay aware of danger. It is ingrained in us.

Negative feelings: trauma, stress, anxiety, fear leave a much greater impact on us than positive feelings. Of course we can focus on a happy memory and we might smile or laugh, but when a negative memory hits, it can be fierce.

I have really had to work hard the last few months to focus on positive things. I have tried to surround myself with positive people. And when I am confronted with negativity, I have to remind myself to be positive, and not give in to the negativity.

I can't choose how others behave or their attitude, but I can choose how I react to their behavior, and how I behave towards them.

Believe me, this hasn't been easy.

But I am starting to believe that negativity only has as much power as we let it.

You know, there is some truth to the scene in Sound of Music where the children get scared and are able to sing away their fear. We can beat negativity if we work at it. Replace it with positivity.

Tomorrow I go in for surgery. I am scared. I am anxious. I am tense.

However, today at work, my boss presented me with a prayer shawl, hand knitted by a group of ladies and then blessed by the minister. A beautiful card was signed by my fellow staff members. The thought and kindness behind that gesture is what I am holding on to tonight. Instead of focusing on what is going to happen tomorrow, I am trying to focus on the love, care and kindness that is being shown to me by the people around me.

I am trying to focus on the fact that this surgery should help my chances of getting pregnant. That despite the pain I will be in for a few weeks, it should lessen the pain that I feel longer term. That while others are at work, I get to spend some time in bed, relaxing. I am focusing on the fact that for the next two weeks, my mom will be by my side from across the country. That I won't have to do dishes or laundry because her and Mr. Devious will take care of it.

Positivity can be powerful, if you just let it.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4183 Comments 7
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Butterfly, I wish you success with the surgery and a speedy and painless recovery afterwards. You will be missed here, but you need to take care of yourself first (secure your oxygen mask before helping others). And as you said, the result will be something positive and beautiful, that makes everything worth it.

Take care. Best wishes, and hope to see you back soon.
  2. Old Comment
  3. Old Comment
    Best wishes for a safe and successful surgery, a quick recovery, and the result you are hoping for. <3<3<3
  4. Old Comment
    Bravest Butterfly! May all your fears and worries be unnecessary, may the discomfort be brief and light, may the outcome be happy.
  5. Old Comment
    Sending you positive thoughts, Butterfly. I am certain it will be a successful surgery. May you get all the ice cream your inner little can want.
  6. Old Comment
    Sending you best wishes for tomorrow, and for a speedy and complete recovery! x
  7. Old Comment
    Hope all goes well! Just keep your eyes on the end result!!