Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > pluky

Rate this Entry

When ghosting is OK

Posted 09-17-2022 at 08:57 PM by pluky
Updated 09-17-2022 at 09:26 PM by pluky

I do feel like if you interact with someone, you owe them an explanation if you ever feel like you wanna go no contact with them, it's not a nice feeling when you don't know what's going on and stay confused.

I think however there can be situations where it's ok to ghost someone, not everyone deserves the same level of respect. Some people say respect is earned, or more like for me, you might give people a neutral basis of respect that they don't need to work for or deserve but they might do something to lose it.

Hypothetically if I had told someone that my pictures shared in a session with them were private, to then discover that one of those pictures was shared, without even asking me, then I wouldn't feel very compelled to respect them enough to tell them that I want nothing to do with them anymore. Respect goes both ways.
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Your hypothetical is a good reason for distancing oneself, but even in general ghosting can happen for a lot of reasons, horrible as it may be to be on the receiving end; trauma, life circumstances, loss of details, etc.

However, drawing a definite line with someone doesn't have to be about respect for them, but respect for oneself and maintaining a standard. It can also be a good wake-up call to both parties to say directly 'what you've done is shit and I want nothing to do with you.' By doing so, you're not just defining what's unacceptable to you, but bringing it out of thought or feeling and making it part of the real world and living it.

I fully agree about having a neutral base for unknowns, though; we need it in order to function, and a lot of the 'respect is earned' is twisted into disrespect being the norm, or easy solution through minimising the importance of one's interactions.