Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > AbusiveMaster

Rating: 9 votes, 3.67 average.

Flaming.

Posted 07-24-2018 at 05:21 AM by AbusiveMaster

Flame wars - one of the internet's most common, wonderful and amusing activities. Oh the subjects I have seen bombarded on the comments section - and so often they have nothing at all to do with the original topic.

We all hold our beliefs and opinions on so many things. "They" say that we are all entitled to an opinion, but I disagree with that. We are all entitled to an informed opinion, when we are in possession of the facts and have an understanding of the subject matter. I could easily turn this now into a rant on other topics, but I will refrain. Suffice to say that not all opinions are valid, or equal - yet still we all hold onto our own as if they were gospel.

And so something happens that goes against one of our opinions. Something is said that we oppose. What do we do? Well we make sure everyone knows it, of course. And the internet is a wonderful place for discussion. It really is. a frank and free exchange of views and opinions.... that changes nothing. So rarely does anyone read an argument against their own beliefs and say "Oh, I didnt think of that. I might not have changed my mind, but that makes sense."

And then, inevitably, it happens that when making our opinions known, we veer from the point of what we want to say. It becomes personal. Human nature directs us to malign the person rather than the belief. We take percieved weaknesses and throw a spotlight on those to try and tie them in to our argument. "This person is obviously wrong because they are (insert slur here.)"

The argument changes then. Both parties are hurt, and enter into defence mode. The gloves come off, and the war begins. What started as a free exchange of ideas is now a series of attacks, defences, counter attacks... and they are all based on an aside that is probably regretted, but never retracted.

If it could happen that a person states "Yes, I see what I did there, and regret it. I didn't mean to infer that you are a (slur) but I can see I did it, and apologise for it." Then flame wars would be short and dull.

So please, for the sake of my entertainment, disregard this blog entirely. Do not learn from it, and continue to insult each other in more dramatic and entertaining ways. I have quite a sad life, and these battles bring me a lot of joy.

Flame on.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1911 Comments 3
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Aye ays, Sir. Will be done immediately.
  2. Old Comment
    You are a twat.

A dollopheaded twat.
  3. Old Comment