Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.

Stop the fucking negativity!

Posted 01-27-2019 at 08:48 PM by Butterfly
Updated 01-27-2019 at 08:51 PM by Butterfly

I know my life isn't complete shit. I have things pretty good overall, but I have also been dealt a lot of shit cards.

I was abused as a child, I was sexually assaulted as a young adult, I was in a controlling (not in a good way) and isolating relationship for 6 years .... I have lost many loved ones in tragic ways ...

Just last year I had a miscarriage, was attacked at work, had to unplug from my aunt from life support, was in a car accident which left me in pain daily ...

It would be so easy for me to focus on those things. To jump into the black hole of negativity and wallow in my own misery.

But you know what? I wake up everyday and I smile. I smile through the physical pain, through the mental pain. I try my hardest to hold onto the positive things I have in my life.

There is so much negativity in our world. You turn on the tv and all you hear is murder, and theft and destruction. But there are positive things all around us.

You see, bad feelings take so much energy ... it is exhausting to be mad, sad, hurt, anxious, damaged ... it is all consuming. Whereas positive feelings take little to no energy. It just feels easy and good to be happy, joyous, excited. Those bad feelings overshadow the good feelings and we forget about them.

We are all in charge of our own happiness. Yes, the world is going to beat us down. People can hurt us, nature is uncontrollable, DNA is what it is, shit happens! But we can control our attitudes.

I am not saying you have to Mr./Miss positivity at all times. But there does come a point where you can't just mourn, mope or dwell on the shit in life anymore. Act like a cat and bury that shit.

Get it out and then put it behind you, focus on your blessings in life, take action and control of your own life, your own happiness and joy!

I am so over the negativity!!!!

Here is something I challenge you all to try:

When something good happens, even something small: A warm gesture from a friend, something that makes you smile or laugh ... write that down and put it in a jar. When you are feeling upset, or down, when the negativity is starting to creep in, you can remind yourself of all the positive things that have happened.

If you do decide to try this, please let me know how it goes!

Also, feel free to post something positive here as a reminder!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3663 Comments 8
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Played Pathfinder tonight. It was a good session. Oh! And today was the first day of feeling "me" since my allergies struck this past Wednesday evening. So, yay!
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Comment
    Played Pathfinder tonight. It was a good session. Oh! And today was the first day of feeling "me" since my allergies struck this past Wednesday evening. So, yay!
    That is awesome! I am so glad you are feeling more back to yourself.
  3. Old Comment
    "If your depressed, just cheer up"
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Everill View Comment
    "If your depressed, just cheer up"
    I dont know if that was meant to be serious or if that is what you thought I was trying to say in my blog ... however I will dispute that statement either way.

Being depressed is a real condition. It is a chemical imbalance and cannot just be fixed by willing it away. However, I still believe my message applies.

If you are depressed you can take steps to help yourself. There are doctors, medications, psychologists and other coping mechanisms and ways to manage and treat depression. Just living with it and letting it affect you is the same as letting the negativity win.

And even depressed people can try their best to make small changes to focus on positive things rather than the negative things that are so prominent.
  5. Old Comment
    Of course, there are also differences between clinical depression and just having the blues. IE: just having the blues would be depressed because you can't afford to go on a trip with your friends because you just had to pay to get your car fixed. Clinical depression is a persistent depression and needs to be addressed medically (whether by a therapist or psychologist).

Just putting it out there.
  6. Old Comment
    Amen, I agree with you Butterfly 100% try to make things better for yourself instead of having a "pity party" you have friend's, family and loved ones to help you through these things. If you don't then try to get professional help and coping skills that you can use daily.
  7. Old Comment
  8. Old Comment
    ^--- Pure awesomeness!