Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > RiskyFlame

Rate this Entry

My new financial directress

Posted 03-19-2020 at 04:21 PM by RiskyFlame
Updated 03-28-2020 at 04:03 PM by RiskyFlame

You should welcome unexpected opportunities with open arms. And I happily did. What started as a casual hello quickly changed to the topic of financial control. It seems that I had forgotten about a thread I had posted two years ago on this topic. Who would've thought that such an old thread would bear fruits now; certainly not me. We stayed on the topic and it quickly became clear that both of us were interested in starting something with at its core; financial control. Honestly, the opportunity couldn't have come at a better time since I somewhat struggle with the problem of spending too much money. It's not that I buy a lot of items but rather buying that one expensive thing.
My lamp still worked but I didn't like the brightness and kind of light (too warm/ yellow). So why not buy a smart light bulb? And since I'm buying a smart light bulb, why not add the RGB feature as well? So now I have a €55,- LIFX A19 WiFi-enabled colour LED smart light hanging in the room.
Bad habits
It sure is nice to have the smart light bulb but is it necessary? Not really. Am I happy with it? Yes. Then I justify buying the product. But this happens more than every once in a while. Sometimes it's a couple of hundred euro's, sometimes it's a couple of tenners on multiple occasions within a week. This is not that bad if you earn more than you spend but unfortunately, that's not my case. I slowly see my savings slinking. Even though my realisation that this couldn't go on for much longer, I hadn't taken the first step until Cassandra messaged me.

The start
I'm happy that she brought up the topic and am excited to start budgeting with Cassandra as my financial directress. We decided to start simple and once everything runs smoothly, add new things to keep challenging me. I have all kinds of ideas (or perhaps fantasies) for how everything can play out in the long run. But even though I like thinking about them, I should focus on the task at hand: adhering to the set budget. Now is the time to show that I am dedicated to the plan so that later on, other (perhaps kinky?) elements can be added. The plan, you say? Yes, the plan to reach the goal of the first set budget and to experience what it feels like to be restricted to buying only the necessities.

The app
For those who wonder how Cassandra is able to see the balance of my bank account as well as all the transactions without mutation access: I use an app named Grip. It's an app made by a Dutch bank (ABN·AMRO) that allows you to get an insight in your own income and expenses. Once you link your bank account to your Grip account, you can share the login details with your financial directress and the data will be synchronised across both your devices. Unfortunately, this apps work only with Dutch banks. But perhaps there's a similar app that offers the same services for your bank.
Views 1661 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Oh, didn't know Grip was restricted to Dutch banks. The interface I have is in English (set my phone setting to English). But, just in case, beware there is more than one Android app called Grip. You can differ by the owner, as stated by Risky.

I am excited and looking forward.
  2. Old Comment
    Hello! I have the same financial quirks as you. I feel like we would be a bad influence on eachother and i'm here for it. I mean... Buy once, buy quality, and it lasts much longer... right?

Also, LIFX are ace! I have far too many and have them automated for all sorts of things. FYI Their day/dusk bulbs are great and more competitively priced than the RGB ones

Let me know if you want to get into mechanical keyboards or coffee brewing and we can commit financial ruin together

Having a budget set for you sounds exciting, and I hope you manage to stay within it. Looking forward to reading updates on how you're getting on.
  3. Old Comment
    Looking forward to seeing how this goes!
  4. Old Comment
    This sounds like something I need, and would appreciate. I haven't been able to find it yet though. I hope it works well for you.
  5. Old Comment
    I plan to post a new blog entry once a week about what I experience and the challenges I face.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stopclick View Comment
    Hello! I have the same financial quirks as you. I feel like we would be a bad influence on eachother and i'm here for it. I mean... Buy once, buy quality, and it lasts much longer... right?

Also, LIFX are ace! I have far too many and have them automated for all sorts of things. FYI Their day/dusk bulbs are great and more competitively priced than the RGB ones

Let me know if you want to get into mechanical keyboards or coffee brewing and we can commit financial ruin together

Having a budget set for you sounds exciting, and I hope you manage to stay within it. Looking forward to reading updates on how you're getting on.
    Exactly! If you buy something, buy something that will last long. It's funny that you mention a mechanical keyboard and coffee brewing machine because those two items I considered for a long time. If it weren't for having a laptop, I definitely would've bought a quality mechanical keyboard. (I do have the SteelSeries Rival 600 though ) And if it weren't for the limited space in my kitchen, I would've bought a coffee brewing machine.

I do have some self-control though; not just using the "if it weren't for ..." excuse. I have a Sennheiser headphone and thought about buying a DAC and amplifier to get that extra oomph. But the ones I was looking for were too expensive for what I would get in return, so I decided to just use my AV-receiver as an amplifier.