Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Bloxo

Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.

Try but don't wear yourself out

Posted 10-29-2018 at 06:01 PM by Bloxo
Updated 10-30-2018 at 10:59 AM by Bloxo

I am posting this late...but still much earlier than I have been staying up till lately, it will be the last post of the night for me...

But I have learned something lately, even though this site is worth putting some energy and a bit of time into, don't break your back over it, sure there will be some appreciation but most of the members here won't care, as long as they get their dare, or their bought of sadism...or that one nude they've been clamouring for from a Kik post they won't hang around for long and won't put any real effort in.

Writing long posts, detailed posts may seem like a way to make things clear, but people can have the attention span of moths, flickering from bright light to bright light, anything more than a couple of paragraphs and they can get bored...I blame the modern world, fewer people read actual books, spending their time on Youtube or Netflix, using Tinder...getting quick fixes in life, it's slowly destroying civilisation and ruining the quality of humanity, everything's become about quantity now, this is something which is a real shame to me and I despair a little.

People look at this site and wonder why it doesn't feel like it used to, why people aren't contributing as much to good posts...but it's not the site that's the problem, it's the sad trend that humanity is taking.

I honestly believe that each generation is going progressively downhill, but this is a common view, this site is predominantly stocked by the younger generation and I think that's where it suffers...

Before you start waving pitchforks at me, or saying I'm being unfair...firstly, I don't blame the young, this is the world they have inherited and they adapt to meet the view thrown out there by the media, by their friends and corporations most indeed...we are all victims of consumerism and the rapidly changing makeup of the world.

I will also say that of course not every young person falls into my little rant above, there are definitely notable exceptions and I have seen some really keen, really good people here, it's just a shame they are vastly outnumbered by the constantly horny quick fixers who only care about one thing...and that is their own pleasure.

I wish I could help, but academia turns people off faster than a light switch these days, if you can't download it, it may as well not exist.

But if you feel butt hurt by this post (and not in the fun way)...I'll ask you a few questions, do you read? How many books have you gotten through recently? What do you actually do to contribute to this site? When did you try to make someone smile? When did you last think about someone other than yourself?

If you can't answer any of these questions then maybe you need to start thinking about improving yourself, trust me...intelligence is power and we can do anything in life if we just apply ourselves, I taught myself a new software program last week so I could make something fun for people to enjoy here, I only try to post if I have something worth saying, I do not spam threads looking for anyone who wants to have 'Kik' fun, I do not set ridiculous dares for people that would not be fun, I do not come on this site to create one thread for myself and then only care about that thread, I do not try to push people's limits and I try to show appreciation for the quality posts that I run into on this site...I try to be different, be the change you want to see in others!

Rant over, if you have got to the end of this post then well done, you are more than likely one of the good ones here
If you've skipped to the end, I dare you to read the whole thing...maybe you'll learn something ...or hate me, that's your choice...but hate comes from ignorance in my book, I do not hate the poor members of this site, I simply want them to try harder and think of something other than their libido for a change, the mind was built for a lot more than just being a horndog!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2025 Comments 6
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Not that I have anything to prove, but I wanted to comment and say that I read the entire blog and that I mostly agree with you. I don't think that the majority of people will change, and thus those members who are looking for a cheap thrill will always remain.

However, those people who can answer your questions. The ones who do take time to read (even if it isn't books - since to be honest, I have not had the time to read a book in months), to make quality posts, take time to make somebody's day a little brighter, or who DO put other people first, THOSE people, they are the ones who make this site worth returning to. They are the reason I log on every day. The reason I spend hours a week moderating and wading through dumb posts and silly drama. They make it worth it.

Now, I am not saying that you should break your back bending over backwards to make a silly site and people from the internet a priority, but, I am saying that it can matter, and your presence can matter. This site isn't just about kink, sex and dares to me. I have made genuine connections. Hell I fell in love on this site!!!

When I had a miscarriage, I didn't tell many people in my real life, but the people on this site were there for me. When I decided to come out about my sexual assault, it was reading the comments of support that helps me get through the night. When I wanted to self harm, it was friends drawing butterflies on their skin to show their support that helped me stop. This site CAN matter because there are great people here who can make a difference.

So yes, don't put too much stock in the site on its own, instead focus on building relationships with the wonderful people who call getDare their home. Sometimes they are hard to find, but there are rare gems on here.

Anyways ... I think I am just feeling sentimental and I have rambled on enough for one night. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense.
  2. Old Comment
    I think most gen z/millennials are killing ______ arguments are more an unwillingness of older people to adapt to the times rather than a generation being broken and this goes right into it. I'm part of active kink communities that are majority young folks. They don't run on vBulletin and kik. This is a dated website that is never going to attract and sustain a population of gen z folks and that is fine. I really appreciate gd for what it is.
  3. Old Comment
    This is not a generations thing.

You can see this easily enough for yourself. Click on Request TorD, and then 'last' to go to the last page. You'll find pages and pages of threads with titles like "Give me a dare" and "Got dares?", from 2006. The messengers subforum contains a few posts like this from as far back as 2007, and the only difference is instead of Kik it was Yahoo messenger.

The divide here is not a generation divide, the divide is between people that want to be a part of this community, and people that do not. Those people looking for "kik fun"? You probably won't see most of them in other parts of the forum, because all they're looking for is some random person to play with.

You joined 4 years before I did, but as long as I've been here, at least, getDare has always been about finding the people that are worth interacting with, in a sea of people that are not. That's just what happens when you have a couple hundred random people on a site together.

As for the title, I'm gonna continue trying as hard as I can to have a good time with other people, thanks. <3
  4. Old Comment
    Interestingly the "no one reads books anymore" seems to be not actually true. Surveys at least in america suggest the opposite is true and more people are currently reading books than before. Also before that Socrates complained about the abundance of books making people dumber because no one memorises things anymore. The truth is we just migrated away from memorising and more towards knowing how to research information in the repository for all human knowledge and culture (then books now the internet) and indeed our teaching in schools reflects this as well.

There is the idea of a scapegoat mechanism by which humans assign blame to one member of a group essentially in order to make them feel better and to keep order. The worse times are the more we scapegoat. Millennial are lazy, gen x are killing a business kind of fit into this category and why we as a species seem to blame the young/old so often.

Disclaimer: I don't really read books. I am sure post education I can count the number of books I have read on my hands (and not using binary!). I do however have a curiosity for any interesting information and a tendency to look up, watch videos on and read around subjects on the internet.
    Updated 10-30-2018 at 07:37 AM by Ly Ph
  5. Old Comment
    As usual I jump into a controversial subject without being an expert, going on articles I've read and some own personal biases...do I really worry about the future of humanity? Yes, we are single handedly destroying the planet, wiping out countless species and can certainly be very greedy to the point of excess...
    Do I worry about education? Yes, having worked in children's educational software for a bit of time, the standards of lesson content scared me at times.
    Do I think reading is important? Yes I do, I will always be an advocate for learned information over found information...the latter relies far too much on technology for a start, we should not take for granted we will always have this, also certain articles I have read have pointed to it having different effects on the learning centre in the brain...but as I say I am not an expert and to be honest the tone of my blog was a lot more negative than it should have been.
    I do not see myself as an emotional person, but in truth I can be very emotional, I have spent my life trying to be more logical and often that can make me seem cold.
    Do I really think the younger generation cause all the problems on this site? No...that was a stupid call, if anything I think a lot of the younger generation are actually more sensitive people, who do tend to care about others perhaps more than some of the older generations.
    So I want to apologise for my misplaced rant and as many above have said, it was scapegoating, I will always admit when I have said something wrong...I am not too prideful to do that.
    I know there is a lot of good on this site.

As a lot of my misplaced blogs...my venting was about something else, and to be honest I feel petty for even mentioning what so I will leave it and apologise if anyone took my post too harshly.
  6. Old Comment
    Back to your original post here....

What KittenLicks said at the end is the key to GD. Find people you like to play with. (And ignore a lot of the rest.) I have a little intro to GD post around (needs editing right now) that I sometimes send to newbies and at the end of the current version: "Above all, find good people who like things that you like - and have fun on GetDare."

Yes, some people don't respond. I have recently PM'd and posted what I thought were some nice custom tasks/dares to people. But even when requested, (it should not be necessary) do they post or send reports? Nope, not too often at all. So will I do them another, even when they say "That was great, send me another one." Nope. That's why many RTorD threads die - no response other than "I like it, keep them coming." So fine: let them go. Even if you want to be part of building a community, some people can't understand that. Be judicious in how much energy you put out, and where you put it.