Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > 2EggsOverEasy

Rate this Entry

Scared of Chat

Posted 06-28-2008 at 08:04 AM by 2EggsOverEasy

Did you ever have one of the irrational fears that seems to keep you one step behind everyone else? Some fear that makes absolutely no sense, but still lingers in the back of your mind? Hiding. Waiting. Showing itself only when you about to step beyond whatever limit you've decided is too much?

I do.

Its chat.

Completely irrational. Completely true.

I can't tell you how many times I've ALMOST clicked on the getdare.com chat, but chickened out. (Yellow eggs...pretty symbolic, eh?)

No reason. Just fear.

I start thinking...What am I going to talk about? What am I going to do? Am I ready to take this next step? Why is this a next step? What if they don't like me? What if...what if...what if.

I know, it's weird. I know, it abnormal. I know there is no justification to it. But I still get stuck. How is this possible? How can something so annoyingly ridiculous be so pervasive that it actually impacts what it is I'm willing (or unwilling) to do?

Yep, I've posted full frontal stuff on the web. Some even with a face. But chat...that's something else. Crazy. Insane. Absolutely fruit-loopy.

Rest assured, I'm working on it. Baby steps, right? Maybe I'll stick a toe in the chat pool, just to test the water. Maybe I'll work up the courage to jump in headfirst. (It's not shallow, right? The pool...not me...) Maybe not.

I wonder how long this fear will stick around...

Now go be daring....
(I'm working on being daring myself...)
Posted in Insight
Views 3745 Comments 10
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old Comment
    You're scared of the chat?

I don't blame you actually - it's like a hurricane in there. Everyone shouts, everyone screams, everyone swears. It's mental. It's insane.

I jest, of course.

Just go in and say "Hey!"

99% of the time, there'll be a conversation already running, so just join in. The other 1% is when nobody's in the chat, or when nobody's talking. In that case, just leave.

Have fun!
  2. Old Comment
    No need to be afraid of the chat, we don't bite (hard at least ) Everyone in the chat is very friendly except when they are being sarcastic.

I will be waiting for your name to appear in the chat with a friendly "Hi!"
  3. Old Comment
    I just want to say that I'm not always being sarcastic when I yell at people in the chat. But you seem nice. I'll try not to yell at you too much.
  4. Old Comment
    Come in the chat or I'll fry you on a sidewalk.

-Daredude
  5. Old Comment
    It's not soooo bad. I pop in from time to time. Sorta fun getting to know the other users here.
  6. Old Comment
    Yeah, you could always do what depp does: get drunk beforehand. Makes us a little easier to handle.
  7. Old Comment
    I'm working on it...even added IM addresses to my profile ('though I'm hardly ever on - I guess that negates their effectiveness somewhat).

One of these days...when you least expect it...or when I grow the friick up, I'll do it.

Like I said, it's completely irrational. But then, aren't most fears? Or else the fear is based almost exclusively on something we know nothing about (fear of the unknown). That's why I personally want to know everything. Omnipotence. If you know everything, you shouldn't be afraid of anything, right?

<rambles on in some nonsensical way trying to distract everyone>

Why don't y'all focus on that for a while...leave my fear of chat alone! (just kidding...thanks, y'all!)
  8. Old Comment
    Hi,

I used to be terrified to enter a public chatroom. But then I started by signing on if not many people were on, and just didn't talk to anyone (I always put my status on "away"). But now it's like yet another really addicting feature of this site

Hope to see you enjoying that part of getDare soon
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    But now it's like yet another really addicting feature of this site
    Is that because people make out with you when you first join the chat?
  10. Old Comment
    That's so silly. It's not like we bite.... everyone... all the time at least... o.o

I'm glad you decided to join us that time. I hope you understand I was trying to be polite. Most of the people in the getdare chat are nice. I feel almost like one of them and I've been here ...what a week or two?

A fear of clowns is NOT irrational. A fear of Spiders is irrational. Why do they have so many legs and eyes? what do they really need them all for?? -nearly gags over the thought-

Anymew, now that I've got myself thinking about my own fears... I'm gonna go conquer yours for you. See ya in the chat!
    Posted 07-01-2008 at 10:07 PM by Sorrow Becomes Her Sorrow Becomes Her is offline