Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Jon's World.

It's like a normal world, only weirder. Now with 100% more poetry!
Rate this Entry

Annoyances.

Posted 01-23-2015 at 06:15 PM by An_Jon
Updated 01-24-2015 at 03:20 AM by An_Jon

This is a blog about words, phrases, and actions which annoy ME. I'm not saying they're universally bad, evil, annoying, or even wrong. Please, if any of these things either don't annoy you or you actually say/do them then don't be butthurt. Also, don't take it personally. This is my blog, and my life. I'm not having a go at you or your lifestyle. That is all.

Some of these come from interactions with real people who have ended up rubbing off on me the wrong way. Others, well, I don't know really. Either way, they get my back up.

ALL OF THESE ARE MY PERSON OPINION, AND THE WAY I'VE TYPED THEM REFLECTS THIS.

1). Anything to do with the phrase 'I'm part of a debate team' or 'In my work I have to argue a lot' when someone questions your opinion.

Now then. Just because you may be good at, or have developed certain skills which help you, argue your opinions that does not make you right. Somewhere in there we often also hear the phrase 'it's probably not a good idea then to argue with me'. Leave it out. This is a ham-fisted and smug way of ignoring conflicting viewpoints. Just because you think that you're right it doesn't make you right, and if you can't stand to hear an opposing view then it probably stands to reason that you're not as confident as you thought you were. Think about it.

Please, next time, face your battles head on instead of trying to dismiss someone out-of-hand.

2). Coming to a party/gathering/room full of people and standing in the middle of the room.

This used to be more specific, but I noticed a trend: It's usually followed by someone talking loudly about brags, or an attention-starved mongoloid who's about to make a tit of themselves. They usually stand with their legs about twice the distance of shoulder-width apart if they're men; I haven't noticed a standing-trend in women yet though.

I'm almost certainly being too judgmental, but I just can't stop immediately shaking my head a little at the culprits.

3). 'If I'm not the target audience then no-one should hear it'.

This one was re-surfaced in a discussion I was involved with in the chatroom about consent. I was getting pissed at a couple of members being dismissive about a strong message about consent because 'they already knew'. They seemed to misunderstand that the world doesn't have a filter built just for them, and that messages like this (which are very important, particularly in this scene) should just be stopped because 'they got it already'.

I take the personal view that if you understand such a message then it's your job to endorse it, not feel patronised by it. And yes, not feeling patronised is something you can choose to do. You can clearly understand that when we talk about rapists/people who don't understand consent that they're not talking about you, so don't be butthurt. Instead, support the message! Mocking it creates a deeper culture that's akin to 'I didn't make the mess, so I won't help clean it up'. I guess, in layman's terms, don't be such a prick.

4). Being called 'sir' or 'master'.

In my (quite excellent) ad looking for a submissive I stated quite clearly that I hate being called sir or master. It makes me cringe. Yet almost on a daily basis I get messages begging me "please sir, let me serve you". It all sounds so... false. I'm called Jon. If you become my submissive then you're submissive to a guy called Jon. I'm not a master in anything, and I've certainly never been knighted. I don't need a title. I'm Jon. If you can't feel submissive to me without giving me a title, then frankly I don't want you as a sub. Me wanting you is just as important as you wanting me; and the way I see it, given the lack of effort you put into reading my ad you only want me for my availability and not for me (props to Mandl for giving naghtylittlegirl that advice by the way, I love it).

5). Under-informed & over opinionated people.

Yeah, yeah, I've read the blog above and below. I know this is sort of hypocritical.

Some people will argue the toss for the sake of it. Fine. One of my favourite pieces of life advice is always question 'why'. Note, that's not always ask the question 'why', that's different. Asking is voicing the opinion whereas merely questioning leaves the option of working things over internally. However, if you don't know about a topic and your argument is not to ask 'why' then you're really just being an all-out bellend. I mean a proper, proper twat. Have a nice big cup of shutthefuckupandgositquietlyoverthere and then shut the fuck up and go sit quietly over there. The only reason I can think to do this is that you're just after attention (which is the same thing as trolling in my book). There are better ways of getting attention. Go brighten someone's day or contribute something useful. Right now you're doing the exact opposite.

And why is it that these people never pipe up when there are unimportant debates on? UKIP twats* are the main culprits for this. They have no fucking clue what they're on about, but they're shout whatever words Mr I've-got-a-pint-and-a-straight-talking-mouth** says from the rooftops. By the way, Mr IGAPAASTM, I've got a straight-aiming fist and it's locked on to your boozy gob, so why not have a cup of shutthefuckupandgositquietlyoverthere on me, huh? I'm getting sidetracked now. The point is, rather than contribute usefully to their discussions they merely clog-up the available airspace with their shite. This makes the whole thing move a lot slower than it should have done in the first place and just annoys everybody involved***. *And breathe*.

5a). 'I'm entitled to my opinion'.

There's a big difference here between having an opinion and having an opinion that's worth listening to. You're entitled to having a say, everyone is, but you're not entitled to be listened to. This crosses swords with the previous comment (indeed, this is the fourth out of the six so far about people's use of their opinions) as it implies that I'm saying that people should shut up, yet have a voice. What I'm saying is that people need to learn when best to use their voice, and not get butthurt if it's ignored. Onwards.

6). Stereotyping.

You don't know me, piss off.

Get to know me. Learn what turns me on or off. Don't love or loathe me because I fit some profile you have. What annoys me the most about this is that I do it. Yes, I am one of my biggest annoyances.

7). Being too heavily for or against the arts or sciences.

They're both ultimately pointless on this dying planet! There will be a day where everyone you know, ever will know, or even ever will be known will be dead and there'll be nothing left in an empty, freezing void of black. Do what makes you happy. Once this time is gone, it's gone. Then there's no going back.

8). Things not being multiples of four.

I have OCD, deal with it. (I even made a 5a to run this joke, as this list of annoyances satisfied my annoyance of non-multiple of four numbers.)

You want a rant? I'll give you a fucking rant.

*Ukip members.
**Nigel Farage
*** Not everyone. Just me.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 890 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I giggled a lot reading this - I love it when people rant with a sense of humour

In regard to #1, if someone says that to me I take it as a challenge - now I'm going to argue out of pure spite, because they don't scare me (I know, I'm so mature). #3 - so much yes. Thank you for saying it so well. They didn't write the book/film the movie/build the store/design the city/sing the song/etc. just for you. They probably don't even know you. Let us move on.

#5 I agree with entirely, and I am saving the "Have a nice big cup of shutthefuckupandgositquietlyoverthere and then shut the fuck up and go sit quietly over there." for future use. And in honour of your OCD, #6 is something I haven't thought much about, and yet it explains so many frustrations I've both caused and experienced on here.

I've held off writing a list of some of my pet peeves, but now I'm thinking this could be a trend...
    Posted 01-23-2015 at 11:42 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline