Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > IceMaiden's Blog of Awesome

Rating: 12 votes, 3.67 average.

How Not To Be A Dumbinant.

Posted 04-27-2018 at 12:56 PM by IceMaiden
Updated 04-27-2018 at 01:02 PM by IceMaiden

So you say you are a dom, but are you really? Or are you really a dumbinant? If you find yourself doing any of the below you are not a dominant but a dumbinant.

But it's okay, you can amend your ways! I will help you out by telling you what not to do and hopefully help you turn from a dumbinant into a dominant!

#1 Don't call all subs/slaves whores, bitches, sluts etc. Not every sub likes that. Not every sub gets turned on by that. Not every sub enjoys name calling even by their partner, never mind total strangers. This also applies to the subs who say they do like this sort of verbal play but haven't given you express consent to call them names. Just because a sub enjoys it in play doesn't mean they enjoy it by everyone!

#2 Don't spam PM's with the awful "Hey u wanna be my sub" type messages to people you have never even spoken to before. How do you know their likes match yours? How do you know you are a good match not only kink wise but friend/vanilla wise? How do you know everything you love to do isn't a limit of the poor soul you are spamming and irritating? You don't, because you never bothered to get to know them first. D/s doesn't happen in two minutes, it takes time and trust and friendship and mutual interests.

#3 Don't assume you can take more than what has been offered if you are playing with someone, adding to someone's threads or sending PM dares, unless they have given you consent to do so. They might only want casual play and that is their way of getting it, they didn't say it was okay for you to add 1038349 conditions and orders to what they were prepared to do.

#4 Don't reply to the ads searching for a dom/me with "hi slut, kik me, do this for me, send me pics," type of responses. Unless they have agreed to enter into a relationship with you, they owe you nothing.

#5 Don't assume all subs are the same and treat them as such. There is not much that is more annoying than "But x did it fine" "But x was willing to do it for me." Subs are not all the same and one style of domming a sub will not work for the next!

#6 Don't start a message with "I read your profile and..." when it is clear you didn't! That just makes it seem like you're either a: Looking for a quick way to get off or B: A douche and C: A liar.
*I actually had this one. He started the message with how great my profile was and how he enjoyed it...and followed it up with did I want to be his sub. Even if I wasn't owned, even if I was looking, I am not going to enter a relationship with someone's whose first sentence to me was a lie.

#7 Don't give a sub a task that is obviously dangerous. Some newbie submissives may not realize the dangers and it is up to them to take of theirself as well, but as the person giving the task you should be first making sure it is safe to do, you have a duty of care to the submissive. And if you're not sure...ask! Better a dominant that researches and can admit maybe it wasn't a great idea after all, than a douchebag who can't be assed.

#8 Don't assume that because someone identifies as a submissive or slave that you automatically have authority over them. You. Do. Not. Identifying as a submissive, does not make them your submissive. Not until they have consented.

#9 Don't think D/s is 50 shades. If you think that there's no help anyone can give you, so go away now. Forever.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2108 Comments 9
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Personally, I call these people vanilla assholes

They just heard somewhere that we like sex and we are open about our sexuality in sites like this one and fetlife and they thought "oh shit i get to be an asshole and get away with it??? And on top of that they like it??? SWEET!"
  2. Old Comment
    You are aware that about half of the things you describe are actually signs of someone being a newbie rather than an asshole fishing for nudes, right ?

I opened this up because I expected it would be a funny post or something and instead I found a cold-hearted, bitter rant against people who are new to D/s. Your message to people who are new and don't know what they're doing yet is, and I quote: "Don't think D/s is 50 shades. If you think that there's no help anyone can give you, so go away now. Forever." ... D/s is supposed to be much more inclusive to newcomers, it's a transformative experience, not everyone starts out knowing all there is to know about it and it's constantly misrepresented in the media which results in people checking it out thinking it's different than it actually is.

I'm not saying you have any responsiblity to help any newcomer who messages you but I am saying that this is the complete opposite of the attitude the D/s community should have.

And do you realize how ignorant it is to complain about 50 shades when talking about doms ? The book's target demographic is potential female submissives, not doms. I've never read the book myself but I've had a sub before who's only experience with this world was through that book and although she didn't know anything else when she started she's pretty great now and I'm really glad the first message she read on this site wasn't you telling her "Don't think D/s is 50 shades. If you think that there's no help anyone can give you, so go away now. Forever."

For some people D/s actually IS different than it is for you, you don't get to decide something isn't "REAL D/s" just because it's not something you personally enjoy.

And this isn't a Doms vs subs thing, I'd be saying the same thing if I'd have read a post about "submidiots". This is the worst most bitter attitude I have heard against newbies.

The other about half of the points are perfectly valid and signs of low-effort teenagers fishing for nudes and I 100% agree with you on them, maybe you should have focused more on that.
  3. Old Comment
    Good news! I pass all these, I am definitely not a dumbinant
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlutTrainer View Comment
    You are aware that about half of the things you describe are actually signs of someone being a newbie rather than an asshole fishing for nudes, right ?

I opened this up because I expected it would be a funny post or something and instead I found a cold-hearted, bitter rant against people who are new to D/s. Your message to people who are new and don't know what they're doing yet is, and I quote: "Don't think D/s is 50 shades. If you think that there's no help anyone can give you, so go away now. Forever." ... D/s is supposed to be much more inclusive to newcomers, it's a transformative experience, not everyone starts out knowing all there is to know about it and it's constantly misrepresented in the media which results in people checking it out thinking it's different than it actually is.

I'm not saying you have any responsiblity to help any newcomer who messages you but I am saying that this is the complete opposite of the attitude the D/s community should have.

And do you realize how ignorant it is to complain about 50 shades when talking about doms ? The book's target demographic is potential female submissives, not doms. I've never read the book myself but I've had a sub before who's only experience with this world was through that book and although she didn't know anything else when she started she's pretty great now and I'm really glad the first message she read on this site wasn't you telling her "Don't think D/s is 50 shades. If you think that there's no help anyone can give you, so go away now. Forever."

For some people D/s actually IS different than it is for you, you don't get to decide something isn't "REAL D/s" just because it's not something you personally enjoy.

And this isn't a Doms vs subs thing, I'd be saying the same thing if I'd have read a post about "submidiots". This is the worst most bitter attitude I have heard against newbies.

The other about half of the points are perfectly valid and signs of low-effort teenagers fishing for nudes and I 100% agree with you on them, maybe you should have focused more on that.
    At no point in the blog did I say this was directed to newbies. As the title suggests it is directed at the people who think it is okay to use D/s as an excuse to be abusive. Across the other 100+ blogs I have posted you will find me say things like "What works for you may not work for someone else and that IS OKAY." or "Just because someone tells you your way is wrong, doesn't mean it is. D/s is different for everyone." and a multitude of similar comments.

My 50 shades quote, again, is directed at the people who think D/s gives them a pass to be abusive. Not potential subs, but the people/'doms' who think the way Christian Grey acts is actual dominance/act the same way. You say you haven't read the book so I will note a few key points for you - Emotional abuse, physical abuse, stalking and rape. I didn't decide that isn't real D/s, the law did. And I think anyone who is a decent human being would agree that is wrong. So I don't think I am being ignorant with the comment I made and I think it would make more sense for you to defend something you have actually read, or at the very least clarify I actually meant things the way you took them before throwing accusations about of being cold and bitter to newbies and putting words in my mouth that I never even said.

Nowhere in the blog did I state that if you do D/s a different way than I do, that means your D/s isn't real. I even stated one style of domming wouldn't work for the next sub because not all subs are the same. The only time I touched on what ISN'T D/s is when referencing abuse. And yes, I do get to decide that abuse isn't d/s, because abuse isn't consensual or safe or right or done by anyone who isn't a jerk. I am fairly confident that the majority of people would agree abuse is not D/s.

I also never stated anywhere that I would be unwilling to help someone who is new or that I would exclude someone because of the fact they were new to D/s or claimed to know everything there is to know about D/s. I could continue learning for another 20 years and I still wouldn't know even half of what there is to know.

Some of the things I listed may be done by someone new and learning and not just assholes and yes maybe I could have been clearer which comments were aimed where, but again I thought the title made it relatively clear, along with the fact that a polite and respectful person would be unlikely to do them. Your comment focuses mostly on my attitude to newbies...when this blog isn't targeting newbies in the first place.
    Updated 04-29-2018 at 10:57 AM by IceMaiden
  5. Old Comment
    While it is, of course, obvious that I would defend IceMaiden, it is not always the case that I agree with her - furthermore, in my experience, she needs little defending. However I do have a few problems with this comment that I would like to address.

Quote:
    So early in, and already we have two problems. Tsk tsk. Tackling the second first - at no point was "asshole fishing for nudes" mentioned in the original blog. "Dumbinant" is the term used by IceMaiden, and a few others, to refer to pseudo-Dominants who do not have a base understanding of BDSM, jumping in with both feet with little knowledge and less desire to learn. These people are at best irritating and at worst potentially dangerous. Unchecked they present real risks to phyiscal and mental health, and to socially destroy a submissive not equipped with adequate bullshit detection.

The first of the two issues - half of the points raised are signs of someone being new.

Quote:
    #1 Don't call all subs/slaves whores, bitches, sluts etc...
    I would think that this was self evident. A general lack of respect, and the assumption that all submissives are, or respond well to, such names is not a sign of being new, it is instead an indication of being clueless.

Quote:
    #2 Don't spam PM's with the awful "Hey u wanna be my sub" type messages...
    As above, this is not a sign of inexperience. Any relationship is founded on shared interests and goals, a bond formed over time, etc etc. Expecting anyone to submit to you when they do not know you or you them is frankly stupid.

Quote:
    #3 Don't assume you can take more than what has been offered...
    It could be argued, I suppose, that this is a sign of being new. However, D/s is a negotiated relationship and submissives have their limits for very good reasons. People offer what they are willing to give, and attempting to push past this is so obviously dickish that inexperience doesnt excuse it.

Quote:
    #4 Don't reply to the ads searching for a dom/me with "hi slut, kik me, do this for me, send me pics," type of responses.
    Assumption that one is God's gift and somehow entitled to anything from anyone without conversation and consent is again not a sign of being new - though this is covered mostly by point 2.

Quote:
    #5 Don't assume all subs are the same and treat them as such.
    We are now past the halfway point, and I am still waiting for one of these to be applicable to a "newbie" rather than a moron.

Quote:
    #6 Don't start a message with "I read your profile and..." when it is clear you didn't!
    Alas, this is not exclusive to pseudo-Dominants. The internet is full of these poor people. That said - newbie or doofus? I will leave that decision to you (so long as you pick the second option, obviously.)

Quote:
    #7 Don't give a sub a task that is obviously dangerous.
    The key word here is obviously. There are risks involved in BDSM, but SSC and RACK both aim to control and minimise these risks. I will happily admit that a learner will have to research what I mean by SSC and RACK - however, telling someone to do something obviously dangerous is stupid to the point of, well, dangerous.

Quote:
    #8 Don't assume that because someone identifies as a submissive or slave that you automatically have authority over them.
    The same way as assuming that every gay/straight/whatever person wants you because of your gender... nope, not newbie.

And so we have 8/9 points which are decidedly not newbie mistakes. Unless mathematics has changed significantly in the twenty five years since I left school, this doesnt come close to being half. But moving on.

Quote:
    I opened this up because I expected it would be a funny post or something and instead I found a cold-hearted, bitter rant against people who are new to D/s.
    "To assume is to make an ass of u and me."

But cold-hearted? Even if you were to accept bitter as true - which I personally don't - this is obviously an empassioned blog. Therefore hot-blooded would surely be much more appropriate than cold-hearted, no?

As for bitter - I think it safe to say that there is a certain weariness that could pass for bitterness - that comes naturally when continually subjected to the trivialities of the mindless, or watching ones friends and peers undergo the same treatment.

Quote:
    Nope. The D/s community should not be all inclusive. There are ample opportunities online and within the "real world" for people to arm themselves with knowledge BEFORE they jump in with both feet and fists swinging. It is the responsibility of anyone involved in D/s to either educate or eradicate people who fall into the above categories as it is people like these, above all else who are the cause of

Quote:
    constantly misrepresented in the media which results in people checking it out thinking it's different than it actually is.
    But to move on again - SO MANY issues, oh dearie me.

Quote:
    And do you realize how ignorant it is to complain about 50 shades when talking about doms ? The book's target demographic is potential female submissives, not doms
    And do you realise how ignorant it is to imagine or assume one can seperate the two? How ignorant it is to presume that the target demographic is going to look at the two dimensinal portrayal of Christian Grey and hold that up as a shining example of what it is to be a Dominant? How ignorant it is to call someone ignorant and immedieately follow with

Quote:
    I've never read the book myself but
    when the very definition of ignorance is forming and espousing opinions on which you have no knowledge or understanding?

I HAVE read the book - well, the first one anyway. My personal opinion is that it is badly written claptrap penned by an avid authoress of "Twilight" fan-fiction who didn't bother to change the characters or characteristics of the lead characters from her previous works - but instead slotted them into a new setting. Her portrayal of D/s was wrong and abusive. The relationships she wrote about were fucked up and unhealthy and dangerous.

Quote:
    The other 6% (I did the maths) of your argumemts are vaild. Perhaps you should have focussed more on those.
  6. Old Comment
    It looks like you took this as a personal attack on who you actually are, I don't know you and haven't read any of the other 100+ blogs you just mentioned you've posted and this wasn't a criticism of who you come across as in those other blogs or who you actually are. This was a criticism of what you wrote in this post and how you come across in this post and no others. You can tell when this happens when the message is posted as a comment to only this post and not as a visitor message AND by the fact that it doesn't reference anything you've said or done outside of writing this post. I don't know you, I just know what you wrote in this isolated post.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IceMaiden View Comment
    #9 Don't think D/s is 50 shades. If you think that there's no help anyone can give you, so go away now. Forever.
    Quote:
    My 50 shades quote, again, is directed at the people who think D/s gives them a pass to be abusive
    It might have intended to be directed at those kinds of people, but you failed to mention or even imply that in the actual post. I criticized you for what you actually wrote, and I don't see any mentions of doms being abusive in the original #9 point, what you actually wrote instead is a statement about what what you suggest doesn't qualify as real "D/s": 50 shades.
    Quote:
    I will note a few key points for you - Emotional abuse, physical abuse, stalking and rape.
    If you are talking to a friend and they say they felt inspired by "Fight Club" do you assume they've been inspired to become terrorists ? By your logic you should since terrorism is a key point in the book which means everyone who was inspired by the story MUST become a terrorist. Of course what the book truly means for people is a very different thing, and in the same way almost everyone who was inspired to explore D/s by 50 shades didn't come to getDare because they think it's a good place to try out "Emotional abuse, physical abuse, stalking and rape" but most of them came because they were turned on by the scenes that contained bondage and impact play; I've had a few D/s scenes in the book described to me and none of them included rape or stalking or non-consentual abuse, I'm not saying those scenes don't exist somewhere in there, I'm saying your gross generalization on point 9 tells everyone who was inspired by ANYTHING in the book to leave forever too, and that's an extremely closed-minded reaction to some shitty book you don't like. (I'm definitely not a fan of it either, but I can see parts in it that can attract people to it, and they sure as hell aren't the rape parts)

Quote:
    At no point in the blog did I say this was directed to newbies.

Do you think spamming random people with "Hey u wanna be my sub" is something an experienced dom does ? Or is it something you'd expect mostly from newbies ?

What about "hi slut, kik me, do this for me, send me pics," ? You see experienced doms doing that ? Most newbies will realize this approach doesn't actually work so they either improve or leave, you can't become an experienced dom with messages like that because you can't become experienced by playing with your dick while you send stupid messages that never get answered.

Another example is #7 :
    Quote:
    #7 Don't give a sub a task that is obviously dangerous. Some newbie submissives may not realize the dangers and it is up to them to take of theirself as well

You say the dom knows the task is "obviously dangerous", however at the same time the submissive fails to "realize the danger". You understand that this means the task couldn't have been "obviously dangerous" otherwise the submissive would have recognized the danger? The task in question was - Unexpectedly Dangerous - . And this is exactly the kind of mistake that people new to D/s who don't have the medical background required to understand how blood circulation works or how infections can happen inside the vaginal cavity make. When these newbies say stupid things like "Clamp ur nipples 6 hours" or "plug a [food item] inside ur cunt overnight" they DON'T see what they're saying as "OBVIOUSLY DANGEROUS" because if you don't know about D/s AND you don't know about how blood circulation works when a part is restricted for example (which most people outside D/s and the medical community do NOT know) then it's a mistake many will easily make that to YOU (and all other experienced D/s people) seems obvious but to a newbie it definitely is NOT obvious.

From your response on my comment it is clear to me I was wrong about what you were actually were thinking when you wrote the post however reading only the blog post itself (the only thing on which I based my criticism) I think it should now be clear to you why the blog post felt aimed at newbies and suggested they leave forever and why I was bothered by that sentiment.
    Updated 04-29-2018 at 03:27 PM by SlutTrainer
  7. Old Comment
    Hi.

Me here.

I see lots of hostility in the comments. So, just wanted to leave a comment that involves absolutely no hostility.

Thank you for providing your perspective. Everyone has their own opinions. One of the awesome things about getDare is that we are all free to voice our opinions. Often it can spur dialogue. And dialogue is cool.

So... HI! Happy Sunday. We should all go out for ice cream some day. Albeit, since we all live in separate locations, it will be separately. But ice cream is awesome, no matter where you live. :-)
  8. Old Comment
    Everyone.

Being called names, spammed messages, profile stalking, and more comes from people who are on the site 2 minutes and years. But it is not newbie mistakes. The way I have been talked to in pm messages, I would slap the people in real life. If you wouldn't talk that way to your friends, why does a more sexual website change that.

Do you get the messages spamming you every day? Do you get the messages clogging up your inbox so you can't see messages from friends or have to sort through messages from people who actually want to talk ot actually want to know you? If you do, then I am surprised you don't understand. If you don't then don't pretend to know the area of frustration this blog comes out of. I do not get nearly the amount of messages and comments people like IceMaiden, Butterfly and more do, but the little I get makes me want to leave the site.

So believe it or not, yes a lot of these things are called being a decent person.

I'll give you one arguement. I see the dangerous task thing can be directed at new people. Often they are the people wanting to live out a fantasy and see if it can be rl. I'll give you that and yes some of these people are new.

But the bottom line is this, be a decent human being who knows how to talk to people. Your own message sounds like an attack. You haven't been bothered to read her other blogs and you pick on the one you didn't like. So yes you are making assumptions about IceMaiden who I know is an amazing person who loves the people who are nice to her.

End of story, females (and males) get a lot of unwanted solicitation. If you don't experience it, you won't understand how true all the things Icey is saying.
    Posted 04-30-2018 at 05:27 AM by Wedgiebondagebabe Wedgiebondagebabe is offline
  9. Old Comment
    I think there is a big difference between what Icey is referring to as dumbinants and general new people to the site/lifestyle.

Maybe Icey should have made the distinction that all of the things in her list were directed at people who have been around a bit and still do the things that she lists. But I do think most of the things here would be considered common courtesy if a person were to attend a BDSM event or interact with people in a real life situation. Being online does not excuse people from behaving and treating others decently.

I agree that the D/s community should be inclusive. However, those people who mistreat others should be reprimanded and told that it is not ok. Especially because there are a lot of newbies, who may have read books like 50 shades or learned about BDSM from porn videos. They may not realize that they can still be treated like a human, that they still have a voice, and they don't need to take everything from everybody just because they are a sub.

Iceys blog was obviously written out of frustration and maybe that did cause her to leave out a few important disclaimers, but it is her personal blog and she is entitled to have a chance to rant as much as needed. Any new comer who reads, should take ANYTHING they read with a grain of salt. Taking a look at any of Icey's other blog posts, you would see that the tone is not discriminatory or judgey.

It is true that D/s can be done in many different ways, and all are correct, except for when it lends itself to abuse or violating consent. Icey is a huge advocate for doing things whatever way works for you and your partner, but you also need to be aware of when BDSM turns to abuse. And this line is blurred a lot in books and media at times.

I think this is a great blog for newbies to read. It is an honest, emotional account of how a sub feels. Yes, it may have been caused by frustration, but it is still real! These are the things that online subs face.

Speaking of 50 shades ... I have read it. And while I do not agree with a lot of it, I do think it has worked wonders to help people be more open to experimentation which is a good thing. However, it does also give the wrong image of what a D/s or M/s relationship should be. If somebody comes here, after reading that book, and wants to replicate it, they are not going to get very far, so I think that Icey, while maybe being a bit harsh, was blunt and truthful. It is a good place to start, but it is not the way things should be handled. There are many more sources available to learn from, and if they aren't willing to learn, I agree that they should just go away forever.

Last, I wanted to mention point number #7. There are ALWAYS risks to every task that you complete. There are risks to everything. Nobody can foresee or prevent every possible harm that could happen. However, I have seen people be assigned tasks like "Go to a bar and drink until you are ready to pass and then find a stranger to take you home" ... would you want your sister to do something like that? How is that even remotely safe? Any person who has any sense of the world we live in, should know that there are major safety concerns with that task. Or things like "shove this knife in your ass" ... the things that make you want to bang your head against the wall.

Nobody is going to be aware of all risks, but asking for OBVIOUSLY unsafe things, is a way to be dumbinant. Even a newbie should be aware of risks from alcohol poisoning, rape, and being stabbed. I really don't think that is too much to ask.