Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rate this Entry

My fight with Social Anxiety Disorder

Posted 05-03-2013 at 06:08 PM by Manbearpig

For those of you who have read my posts in the past, you might probably have noticed my struggles with life. Things have never been easy for me. I have gone through a lot in life, which of course isn't unique to anyone in particular. Things have been extremely difficult for me for the past five or so months. I had been waking up feeling sad and depressed and not wanting to do stuff that I would normally want to do some days. But my biggest fear was being in social situations. Outside a few of my closest friends and class, I have not wanted to socialize or get involved in situations that essentially I could not control. For good or for bad I was avoiding situations that most college students enjoy.

Last week, I finally went in to go to counseling to figure out what was wrong. I had just kind of assumed that whatever I was battling was depression since that would describe feeling down and out. However, after a long evaluation, I was actually diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder. Doing research on it, it is something 12% of humans will go through in their life. It is difficult right now since I am involved with working with other people and children (since I want to be a teacher).

Since I have started seeing a psychiatric, things have gotten a bit better. It is an ongoing battle and there are days that I still feel scared about what I am going to have to do. I avoid a bunch of situations that might not feel comfortable in. I am going to overcome this and not let me effect me going forward. And I will come back stronger than ever.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3513 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    yep. it sucks.

you definitely have the right attitude toward it tho. if you fight it early on you have a very good chance of beating it. if you give in to it early on, the chance of isolation (and, therefore, the odds for recovery) becomes greater.

keep working on it with your psych. good luck to you (:
  2. Old Comment
    Good luck, buddy! I have gone through similar issues and had to seek counseling as well. It can, and will get better.
    Posted 05-04-2013 at 02:36 AM by YouServeMe1313 YouServeMe1313 is offline