Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Happy's Adventures

Just a rainbow with some kink.
Rate this Entry

Why a rainbow?

Posted 10-26-2018 at 01:55 PM by Happy Me

I have just been thinking about this, and everyone knows I love rainbows but they don't really know why!

The truth is there are a lot of reasons!

Primary Reason:
The primary reason I always chose a rainbow is because of my background. I came out as a lesbian in the early 90's. This was on the tail end of the AIDS epidemic, and before Ellen came out, before Will and Grace. Every single one of my gay male friends had been beaten to the point of hospitalization at some point coming out of a gay bar. Every single one of them had been treated horribly by either the police or hospital staff (laughed at or told they deserved it.)

The other side of that was an amazing community. Inside those gay bars and other queer spaces was an amazing community. Drag queens and laughter and flamboyance and joy. Strength in numbers and activism were strong! We spent a long time figuring out how to make life better for the next generation of gay folks.

Now, things are, in most places, are quite a lot better. The community still exists, but because things are better it's not really the same thing. It is still nice! And no doubt some of the culture has survived. But those days, being crazy activists, and all of us coming out at work even though we knew we would be fired, just in an effort to make things better for the next generation, knowing we had a common cause, those are some lovely memories of an amazing time. And the thing that symbolized all of that? The rainbow flag.

Reason Number 2:

I have always really really really loved rainbows. Even when I was a small child I would be overwhelmed with joy to the point of tears every time I saw one. Still as an adult I get that same child like joy whenever I am lucky enough to catch one! I lived in Hawaii once for about 4 years and getting to see rainbows all of the time was an amazing part of that!

Another reason:

I was raised by hippies. Because of this, I wasn't raised religious. I was, however, raised with this very strong sense that everything in the world is connected (people, animals, nature, etc.), and a strong respect for nature and animals. Because of this many things in nature have meaning (emotional significance) to me. For instance, frogs are a reminder to honor your tears, because they are cleansing. Butterflies are a symbol of change. Rainbows are, and always have been, a symbol of renewal, spiritual or emotional growth, and joy. When I joined getDare I was just getting out of a terrible divorce, and in my general way of being, was focusing on the positive aspects of being divorced. The things I can find on getDare are a big part of that!

So. That's why a rainbow!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8251 Comments 8
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old Comment
    All are very good reasons!
  2. Old Comment
    This blog is so wonderful <3 thank you for sharing with us all!

3. Old Comment
    Wonderful insight into an incredible soul

When I was being taken back from the hospital after birth, I am told there was a double rainbow in the sky, although coincidental, I always take pride in that blessing
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloxo View Comment
    Wonderful insight into an incredible soul

When I was being taken back from the hospital after birth, I am told there was a double rainbow in the sky, although coincidental, I always take pride in that blessing
    That is definitely something wonderful to happen!
  5. Old Comment
    I LOVE THIS SOOOOO MUCH ,i love you moon pie
  6. Old Comment
    Puppy likes rainbows too for the stories of being something valuable on the end of it. Like a pot of gold. But the treasure itself is the rainbow. The journey of following it and seeing it too.

And you are one of those rainbows.
  7. Old Comment
    Yay! Yes! The treasure is the journey of following a rainbow. I’ve done that a few times, tried to find the end of the rainbow
  8. Old Comment
    This is very fascinating. Thank you for sharing.