Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > kittenlyss

1. Old Comment

Words: Let's Argue Semantics

Here's a food for thought topic: imagine how much better the forums would be if there were lots of threads like this, instead of them being blogs that quickly disappear off the tiny blog list.
  2. Old Comment

Words: Training

Very heavy issue! There are masters/Dom's , who feel to reshape there slave to suite them. Training as such, should be broken down into areas. 1. You have the area of improving that skill in the slave. So, they can become stronger as a person. 2. It is that area of challenging the mentally goal within themselves. 3. That mentally stage, of being able to accepted the limits and then being pushed.

Now, there are the evil sides. Which I feel does fall right into what you are saying. 1. Is mind over matter, from how some masters/doms, play with the slave head to adjust them to the standard they want them to be. Is it right? " hell no", it is from the breaking down in which they keep that strong power control over the slave. Due in part, from they don't know what the hell they are doing. 2. " Fakes", in which use the wrong kind of training because, they don't understand the true meaning of what is required.
    Everyone has there views on this word of " training", but be honest in some masters/doms, are not truly in that degree if knowledge. So, really they should not call themselves that. They are just using it to get back at those who hurt them. Which is not right and being totally disrespectful to the innocence slaves.
  3. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by An_Jon View Comment
    This is an unrelated comment: but do you realise just how much the mushroom, just to the right of where it says comments beneath the blog-post proper, looks like someone receiving anal? That's by-the-by.
    ...It's a mushroom? o.o

It seems to me that the real problem here is the example, rather than the word training.

"I would never think of you as bratty, but in need of a lot of retraining" doesn't even really make sense, but let's go with it anyway.

person 1: I am a brat
    person 2: I don't think you are a brat; you just need improving

Right off the bat you have a relationship mismatch and so it doesn't need to go any further. It doesn't say anything about the word training itself.
  4. Old Comment

This is an unrelated comment: but do you realise just how much the mushroom, just to the right of where it says comments beneath the blog-post proper, looks like someone receiving anal? That's by-the-by.

Training, to me, is what someone asks for when they lack experience in something. Its a way of admitting it without actually saying 'I'm new and I don't know if I'll like/think I'll be that good at whatever this is'. This could also therefore make it quite difficult to hear for someone who considers themselves quite active in the scene.

I agree with your power dynamic thinking. It's the case of student vs master. Telling someone they need to be trained is essentially asking for a form of submission, but not necessarily directly to them. Students have an image of being 'not quite ready' for the real world, and so by default anyone not in training is seen as above them in whatever twisted hierarchy I'm alluding to.

However, doms always need as much training as subs do. On a broader level they need to know how to conduct themselves when another person allows them to take control. On a more personal level they need to know how best to act around whoever is submissive to them, learn their signals, and, if they fuck up, learn how to be humble in apologising. In this sense, then, training isn't submissive, but necessary. However, the amount it's tossed around towards subs as though all doms just know inherently how to be all domly means it has been twisted into being a submissive word.

That's just my view anyway.

I thought I'd best give a fuller answer after my totally not helpful mushroom-anal comment to begin with. :P (Why does anal on a toadstool hurt more than normal anal? Because there's not mushroom in there).
  5. Old Comment

Training to me, in a completely generic sense, signifies improvement. If you take that word into a BDSM context you can immediately see what's trying to unfold.

You take a submissive, who is either inexperienced, or who has some undesirable traits, and train them through some sort of process with the end goal of them being better than they were before they started. You'd train a dog in this fashion. Humans train themselves like this in universities. No problem, right?

It gets complex in human relationship because, because it's no longer one sided. You now have two people, giving and taking from each other. A husband can't train his wife, or vice-versa. Simply the act of knowing somebody, talking to somebody, developing with somebody; all of these are elements of training.

You're training yourself to be a better match for the other person, while also trying to train them to move closer to your ideals. In an ideal world you'd meet in the middle.

In BDSM you won't meet in the middle. You might draw closer, but the scale is weighted towards the dominant generally. But never all the way towards them.

So while you may be able to train a sub closer to you, you'll never be able to train everything. The sub is a human being, not a Barbie doll.

Trying to "train" out a fundamental part of another person's personality just because it doesn't suit you is an exercise in futility, and only highlights a sense of incompatibility which may or may not be surmountable.

On the other hand, getting away from what it should mean, I always enjoyed the sound of the word in a D/s context, especially as a sub. It gets me all tingly knowing training is coming, more-so because of what's associated with the word (fun stuff right?), rather than the word itself.
  6. Old Comment

Ohhh, we're already starting discussions on sub vs. slave and I haven't even put that blog up yet. I guess I'd better get to work on it soon!

@redambergreen: Lol, actually, I've had this series rolling around in the back of my head for almost a week now. But you're blog was perfect timing! I had been gearing myself up to post this when I read yours. I love how life works. So you probably gave me that extra little push.

And I really do love that we can and have repurposed words. Talking to other people about what connotations certain words have for them has opened me up to new, positive ways to use words that I've always had firmly set in the negative column.
  7. Old Comment

I know where you got the inspiration for this from! :P

I'll have to agree with Leopard on this one. You could argue that slave is a more extreme form of sub, but they've pretty much become synonyms at this stage within the BDSM community.
    I can't imagine a scenario (a legal one at least) where someone is actually a slave; in service to someone, and unable to leave that service.

Then again, that's the beauty of semantics. In some cases words are being used outside their initial definitions (such as slave in a BDSM context), so there's no actual correct answer.

Training is another interesting one, with lots of different takes on it. Looking forward to that one.
    You should have quite a thought-provoking series here!
  8. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by colosubguy View Comment
    Semantics... so much fun. So let's start with a topic near and dear to our hearts: sub vs slave. Is there a difference? My take? Absolutely! I think so anyway. In GDs ad area though, there's really not an option to choose. It's 'x' master seeks 'y' slave. Period. Should there be an option there?
    No, they're just words. The people involved in a relationship can define the terms of their relationship and any titles used as they like.
  9. Old Comment

@Tink: Yes! Because otherwise you might say one thing and someone could hear something else. And that is super frustrating.

And thank you! I like your comebacks too. They're always so devastatingly polite. You leave me in awe?

@colosubguy: I think it's a lot of fun too. Granted, I really enjoy arguing just for the sake of it too. But I will try to refrain here to keep the conversation from devolving into a tug of war. And I have added your suggestion to my planned list of topics. Thanks for making it!
  10. Old Comment

Semantics... so much fun. So let's start with a topic near and dear to our hearts: sub vs slave. Is there a difference? My take? Absolutely! I think so anyway. In GDs ad area though, there's really not an option to choose. It's 'x' master seeks 'y' slave. Period. Should there be an option there?
  11. Old Comment

This makes me so happy Context is unequivocally important if you want genuine communication, so I am all for these blogs

And Lyss, once again I adore your comebacks.
    Posted 12-29-2014 at 10:19 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  12. Old Comment

I'm not REALLY a submissive

@everyone: Thank you so much for all of the awesome comments and all of the people who stopped to tell me they enjoyed reading it. Although this is a list of some of my buttons, I absolutely love hearing other points of view, whether they're similar to mine or not. There's no way I'll be able to respond to all of the comments with as well thought-out and complete responses as they deserve. But I'll give it a shot.

@Alexis Rune: I can drive myself crazy over semantics.

And I will totally cuddle with you!

@Ly Ph: What you say is never stupid! I love everything you've written.

I don't know that not knowing why you prefer certain things equals inexperience. You're not required to explain why you enjoy the things you do. The only reason I can tell you why I dislike the things I've listed here is because I've had to examine them for a while. And there's still thorny problems I could pull out that I just haven't gotten around to yet.

And cuddles are awesome! I have told Almost that cuddles are pretty much mandatory. I love making rules. I always get special looks from him when I do that.

@MrCharcoal: Lol, thank you for commiserating. I mostly don't mind. But then I consider trolls an open invitation to fuck with people.

@An Jon: I have specific reasons for not liking the title Sir. And we just haven't found anything else that fits. But mostly I just don't feel the need to use a title. He's not any less my dom because I use his name. Ok, I use dozens of names for him and he approves of none of them, but that's venturing into the brat argument. Anyhow, glad to find someone else with the same feelings on titles.

@Shadow: Bahahaha! I love that you're the only one in the entire time I've had this note, out of the dozen or so people who have seen it, who has picked up on that. Trust you to go right to the nudity.

@Tink: I think your communication skills are fantastic! You're just maybe not as used to being mean and underhanded as I am.

And other than that, the only thing I can say is that I really love how similar we are sometimes.
  13. Old Comment

Where to start...I love this post so much I want to hold it and squeeze it and call it George.

First, I think that the only time it is remotely acceptable to tell someone that they aren't really submissive is if they genuinely do not enjoy submission in general and in fact enjoy domination. Simply because they don't fit one particular niche of submission does not mean they aren't submissive. And I have had experiences similar to yours where people (I refuse to call them doms) were shocked when I wouldn't just whip off my clothes and fall on my knees during the first five minutes of messaging. Guess what? I'm still submissive. I just prefer to choose who gets my submission. That would be 'fuck off' button number one with me, I think.

I admire your communication skills. I still think that from time to time I stuff too much down, or I'm so preoccupied with being "nice" and not offending anyone that I sugar coat things to the point that it's really unclear that I think something is dumb, not worth my time, etc. and it doesn't go so well.

As for titles, I hear you. I think that titles should not be throwaways, should not be demanded, but should be given out of respect (which also means there is a proper context for them). When Wardell and I started out, I called him Sir, and I liked that. It was part of my submission in a very good way, but he didn't impose that on me, I asked what I ought to call him. Then a little bit later we tried out "Daddy," and discovered that fit even better, and he's been my Daddy ever since. But that works for us, it has genuine meaning for us, and if it isn't your cup of tea, then why mess with it? I feel extremely uncomfortable calling someone "master" for a number of reasons I won't get into. If someone I'm just chatting with demands I address them as such and such, I'm likely to roll my eyes, snort in a ladylike manner, and then respond with, 'Okay, "Sir whatever," I'm Galactic President McAwesomePants, nice to meet you.' Same goes when people address me as "sub" or "slave". My name is Tink, and until informed otherwise, that's what you get to call me.

As for this sense of entitlement regarding pictures or anything of the like, I'm going to start asking for an explanation, a detailed justification as to why they in fact deserve intimate access to my person. Somehow, logging onto the internet and calling yourself a dom, then spamming my inbox without even attempting decent grammar feels, I don't know...pathetically lacking. And if we are already friends and they demand, guess who's getting the boot? I could not agree more about your comment on trusting your partner - besides the fact that pictures can so easily be faked that I personally don't feel that's the best choice if one is really that concerned.

As to responses about commands, I have learned Wardell doesn't appreciate it when I become monosyllabic And I can easily respect and accommodate that, so it's not an issue. If someone ticks me off in chat, I can shut down pretty quick, and will resort to short and sweet responses because I've suddenly realized the host of better things I have to do. But again, for me calling Wardell "Daddy" particularly when I respond to a command/request heightens the experience of my submission, so it's win/win. What I dislike is when I am required to change my natural method of communication not because I am being disrespectful and need a tune-up but because the domly dom can only function when an extremely formulaic system occurs.

This week's pet peeve is people not reading my likes/limits and just throwing tasks at me hoping to get lucky. I'm sorry, but if you expect me to do your task, handling prep, safety, completing the task well with attention to detail, clean up, and write you a kick-ass report, then I think the least you can do is read through my info.

And I learned pretty quick that more than anything I want to play with someone who will get in my head, figure me out, and use my imagination, etc., to his advantage. Anything else feels deeply unsatisfying. Whether or not that makes me a true submissive or not, I don't care; I know the lack of care and attention regarding certainly doesn't make them a true dom (oh no she didn't! oh yes, yes, she did).

I don't know if I'm exactly stubborn...that might be a question for Wardell I do know I can accomplish a lot out of spite. If someone pushes me to do something, even if I may have considered doing it out of the goodness of my heart, now I'm not going to do it because you've crossed a line. That's a very big 'fuck off' button with me, also because I have learned if I don't defend myself then people will suddenly have power over me they don't deserve and will not use well (and I learned that most clearly after I read your thoughts on this the first time, so thank you).

The rest I agree with, all the way, and I suddenly realized how long this comment is so I should stop now
    Posted 12-19-2014 at 12:45 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  14. Old Comment

I love your post kitten lyss! One thing caught my curiosity, I didnt want to know or care before you said it because it was your business... I must know the answer to this line!!

I sleep nude when I'm feeling lazy and wear lingerie to bed when I'm feeling sexy

It will be driving me nuts all day, and maybe that was your plan! Here we were looking inside your mind and now your looking inside ours what a fun twist of advents.

I completely agree with everything you said especially pictures. I told Brooke from the first day we talked I would only ever request 1 picture as proof she was a girl. Since then its all been up to her if she feels like sharing she can if she doesn't there's no pressure because I never ever ask. (okay asked 1 other time but long story and definitely worth seeing and told her she didn't have to unless she truly wanted)
  15. Old Comment

I liked almost every word of this. I especially liked the part where you say you dislike titles like sir or master. I completely agree with this. I've even sent responses to people asking me why I dislike it which were almost word for word what you said in this blog: 'I don't need a title to feel dominant'.

Saying someone's name is much more connecting to the person you're with. Sir could mean anybody. Jon, for example, could only mean me (at that time).
  16. Old Comment

What a good post, oh the trials and tribulations of being a lady on GD thank god I don't have to worry about that, I think I would block about 90% of men on GD and maybe myself a few times.

As you mention there are a lot of manipulative people out there and also a lot of jumped up pricks that call themselves a Dom. As I have said many times before Submission is not taken it is given, when will these boys learn.

Thank you for your post it reminds us boys what it must be like to get so many idiots PMing you, I am amazed that the Ladies stay on GD.

Regards "Domly Dom"
  17. Old Comment

It seems I always have something to say to your blogs. I do hope There not always stupid :P.

You're not really a submissive I think my answer to this would be "You're not experienced enough to know what you are talking about" submissives are humans and not robots and complaining and saying no is feedback. I would say that any experienced dominant would understand that people are different and what they want is different.

You will call me Sir I like to be made to use a name for my domme and when I domme then my submissive likes are pretty much what I want. I would love to be able to explain it to you but like most other things I have no clue why. Perhaps this just shows my own inexperience. That said I do use names when playing but it is very very rare that I do just play with some one and like you they have to be friends. I find when I play with people they don't know me very well and what makes me tick and so the tasks are usually a little disappointing.

Pictures I really really wish this wasn't necessary. I tend to talk to potential dommes a whole bunch but when the majority of interested parties are actually guys pretending to be girls. I do trust them but I also find wasting weeks of my time only to find out they are guys and my trust was misplaced is rather devastating. Usually I go for a couple of seconds audio chat though. Its very hard to put on a female voice, trust me, I know. I do however hate the fact that I have to ask and feel like I am really putting the person out by doing this. That said I probably wouldn't ask any of my friends for any evidence as I already know them. However most of my friends already have a D/s relationship and I am kinda a niche and I always feel too uncomfortable/spammy suggesting playing with a friend.

As for asking for pictures I even after getting into a trusting D/s relation in which we use cam I still feel creepy asking her for pictures of any kind. I like it when a submissive offers pic/cam and I never expect it. I still get a huge grin on my face when Truthpick turns her cam on for me.

cuddles are mandatory I know my previous bold comment have been tittles but cuddles are very important. Perhaps I am overly sensitive as I half the time I want to cuddle Truthpick in the middle of a task when she looks like she is struggling, but, depending on the way in which failure has occurred, there can be strong feelings of sadness for failing. I guess I go for task, cuddles, possible punishment, more cuddles.

Also I second Alexis's comments.

After writing this I realised just how much I have changed since I started things with Truthpick and I am sure in the future I will change and some of the above will no longer be relevant.

Now why cant you quote blogs like you do forum posts or comments.
  18. Old Comment

Semantics can drive me crazy, but I recognize that certain words are 'extra' important to some people. I guess I've learned to accept that. I don't have much of anything more to add, but I just wanted to say that you could always cuddle with me!
  19. Old Comment

I am not owned

@Doom: Thanks for belonging to me. My Bangle.
  20. Old Comment

I am not owned

So glad you commented on this meaning I got to read it. You know I am in agreement.

My main agreement is the post-script though, about how connotations of words have VERY powerful meanings to me. We're fortunate in that our connotations generally match up. Thanks for belonging to me and letting me belong to ye, Wigglyss
  21. Old Comment

I am not owned

Finally found time to sit down and reply to all of the awesome comments. Sorry, everyone, for taking so long.

@Dwarf: Connotations are fun to think and talk about! I love seeing how different cultures and how different people interpret words.

As for him knowing he belongs to me... I do say MINE a lot.

@justJane: I agree that it's different if someone you're already close enough to to know how they think and feel about you says something like that. And it is awesome to be reminded what does belong to him.

@Shadow: The way you say it sounds so sweet! Probably one of the reasons you and Brooke are perfect together.

@ariana: I can see how giving over the ownership of your body makes it easier to do things that you maybe wouldn't normally do.

@HCM: I think the intrusion of reality into our fantasies might be the reason I struggle with a lot of things. Not just this particular word. That's just the one I decided to write about this time.
  22. Old Comment

I am not owned

Good post. In my opinion the word belongs more to a world of fantasy. I mean, very few of us, even if we wanted to, will ever be really 'owned' with the true meaning of the word. It's almost impossible for one to truly be owned because of the fact that in the real world we have families, friends and things that are important to us. Even the ones that claim to 'live it 24/7' cannot be truly 'owned'. However when I imagine myself with the man of my dreams in a relationship full of passion and love whispering in my ear 'You're just property to me, I own you' my automatic response is 'Oh yeah, definitely!'. Hope I got my point across, I'm not too good at expressing myself.
  23. Old Comment

I am not owned

Using the word 'owning' makes it easier for me to submit, for example when my dom tells me I must or must not do certain things with my body. It becomes very natural for me to obey because my dom, not me, owns my body

However, in terms of deciding what and how much to do what we do, in general, I am never ever treated as an object, or as a passive thing. Nor do I want to be like that. My opinion and feeling and preference matters very much.

Having said that, it's part of my fantasy, though... I think myself being an object (literally) in a scene for my dom is hot.
  24. Old Comment

I am not owned

I fall on the other side of the mine. I want you all to myself, but I would generally have you say im yours a time or 2 before declaring you are all mine! Even though I am a dom I feel the sub believes it much more when she has been saying shes all yours. But with saying that I love to protect her and make sure nothing bad happens at all. Thats part of being mine
  25. Old Comment

I am not owned

I feel the same way, in general I don't like being called 'owned' (and have had at least one pretty funny conversation around it with a trial run Dom) for the same reasons you and NLG said, I am the only one who owns all aspects of myself.

I don't think my current Dominant would ever even want or consider saying he owns me, but I don't think it would bother me if he did because I know he doesn't think of me as an object or his possession. He has said I am his and parts of me and my right to orgasm belong to him. I love it when he says that, it makes me so smooshy, and he could say owned all he wanted with that!

I do think it is a combination of semantics and different relationships. I can't stand it when a Dom tries to say they own me right away, even parts of me - they have to earn that through trust and respect, it's not just given; but I also don't consider myself a slave and could never be one, so that could be part of the difference.

It's funny, though, whenever I see people's signatures that say owned by _____, I think it is so sweet!