Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rating: 4 votes, 1.50 average.

A priest...

Posted 07-15-2010 at 08:30 PM by lokelake

A priest we were at was not being a very good Christian leader. He takes God's name in vein often.

He says:

Oh my...
G... knows where
and just G...

Tsk Tsk Mr. Priest.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3207 Comments 17
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 17

Comments

1. Old Comment
    It's in "vain"... Veins are the nasty things under your skin that carry blood...

And, that's not what it means.

To take God's name in vain would be to say, "I swear in the name of God that I will kill that spider." If you don't kill the spider, you've taken his name in vain.

"Oh my god" is merely an English expression that usually indicates surprise or strong emotion.
  2. Old Comment
    Yes I agree with sweetsong. She is correct with the explanation above.
  3. Old Comment
    Swearing and taking his name in vain are two separate things.

The Bible talks about swearing and it also talks about taking his name in vain. If swearing and taking his name in vain were the same thing, then the bible wouldnt have brought it up twice.
  4. Old Comment
    Well, I can't say I agree with loke nor sweet, but I know the christian community generally doesn't like using God's name in such manner. Um, personally, even I find it maybe a little too disrespectful? I mean, to think about it it's like putting your mother in like everyday talk, eg the phrase " Your Mom " Has always been there to insult. Even the phrase " Over my mother's dead body " Sounds a little not right.

I'm just saying it in a very, unbiased, rational manner. I hope O_o
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokelake View Comment
    Swearing and taking his name in vain are two separate things.

The Bible talks about swearing and it also talks about taking his name in vain. If swearing and taking his name in vain were the same thing, then the bible wouldnt have brought it up twice.
    The Bible was not written in English, Loke. (:

That's what taking God's name in vain means... for real. I could go into the whole hermeneutics thing, if you were truly interested.

And, good, rational point, Four.
  6. Old Comment
    Loke, please, i'd stop being a Martyr and a Preacher. Sure, you're allowed to be who you are, not denying that, but you're denying people the right to say what they want by using the Bible...

That's one reason i'm an Agnostic in the first place, it's people who rant and rave if a Religious 'rule' is broken.

I was born a Catholic, Roman Catholic to be exact but i've never embraced my religion, and i'll never.
  7. Old Comment
    My dad is super knowledgeable with the Bible and he also says what I said about taking his name in vain. He is never wrong when it comes to the Bible.
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    My dad is super knowledgeable with the Bible and he also says what I said about taking his name in vain. He is never wrong when it comes to the Bible.

It just means he takes it too seriously. The worst things in the world have happened because people took it too seriously, Salem Witch Trials...i could go on.

I know Irish Catholic priests in my area that use Oh My God too, and they arn't doing wrong.
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Well, believe whomever you please and think whatever you please. (:

Makes no difference to me...
  10. Old Comment
    I will keep on believing saying oh my... and Oh G.. and just G... is taking his name in vain and I will continue not to do it. I have yet to take his name in vain, I dont want to ruin my flawless record,
  11. Old Comment
    Quote:
    I will keep on believing saying oh my... and Oh G.. and just G... is taking his name in vain and I will continue not to do it. I have yet to take his name in vain, I dont want to ruin my flawless record,
    Look, fine, believe what you will, but don't be a religious fanatic.
  12. Old Comment
    "merely" OMG!
  13. Old Comment
    Oh my merely!
  14. Old Comment
    And thats one of the reasons religion will never appeal to me, it restricts so much of your life. It doesn't allow you to say simple things like that. On top of that you are then looked down upon if it slips out and are judged not only by god, as it should be, but by others. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged.
  15. Old Comment
    Quote:
    And thats one of the reasons religion will never appeal to me, it restricts so much of your life. It doesn't allow you to say simple things like that. On top of that you are then looked down upon if it slips out and are judged not only by god, as it should be, but by others. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged.
    ^ My thoughts exactly.

And also, saying "God knows where" isn't really that bad. My grandma uses it a lot. x.x And she's one of the worst, 'hard-core' christians I know.

I got yelled at yesterday because someone scared me, and I yelled out "Jesus Christ!" out of habit. HOW THE FUCK IS THAT SWEARING!?
  16. Old Comment
    Quote:
    You have a flawless record?

Quote from Paul the Apostle. "touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ."

So you need to count your flawless record as LOSS!
  17. Old Comment
    But as Nelly said. "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged.". Obviously a true Christian if you don't follow that then?, hmmm?

But you know what, you're the type who expect God to do everything for them i'm sad to say. But you don't realize that you have the power, want a miracle?, be the miracle.