Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > kittenlyss

Rate this Entry

Words: Let's Argue Semantics

Posted 12-29-2014 at 08:13 PM by kittenlyss
Updated 03-08-2015 at 11:14 PM by kittenlyss

Words: Now you're just Arguing Semantics

I like words a lot. And certain words mean certain things to me. Sometimes those words mean other things to other people.

Quote:
Now you're just arguing semantics
I don't know how many times I've heard this. And you know what I wanna say? Yeah, because we're using words.

courtesy of Merriam-Webster (the short definition)
Quote:
semantics (noun)
: the study of the meanings of words and phrases in language
: the meanings of words and phrases in a particular context
Now, I'm fully aware that people who argue semantics can get so stuck in trying to make sure their side of the discussion is being heard that they don't stop to listen to what others say. And I can be just as guilty of that as anyone else. But I'd like to start something different. Let's listen to each other.

Come argue semantics with me.

Current Entries:
training

Suggested Words Blogs:
-submissive/slave
-use of words as titles (e.g. slut)

Feel free to suggest words or phrases you think would be fun to discuss. Or even write your own blog about it!

Chinese proverb (via random website, so take the provenance for what it's worth): The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
Posted in Words
Views 5480 Comments 16
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 16

Comments

1. Old Comment
    This makes me so happy Context is unequivocally important if you want genuine communication, so I am all for these blogs

And Lyss, once again I adore your comebacks.
    Posted 12-29-2014 at 10:19 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Semantics... so much fun. So let's start with a topic near and dear to our hearts: sub vs slave. Is there a difference? My take? Absolutely! I think so anyway. In GDs ad area though, there's really not an option to choose. It's 'x' master seeks 'y' slave. Period. Should there be an option there?
  3. Old Comment
    @Tink: Yes! Because otherwise you might say one thing and someone could hear something else. And that is super frustrating.

And thank you! I like your comebacks too. They're always so devastatingly polite. You leave me in awe?

@colosubguy: I think it's a lot of fun too. Granted, I really enjoy arguing just for the sake of it too. But I will try to refrain here to keep the conversation from devolving into a tug of war. And I have added your suggestion to my planned list of topics. Thanks for making it!
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colosubguy View Comment
    Semantics... so much fun. So let's start with a topic near and dear to our hearts: sub vs slave. Is there a difference? My take? Absolutely! I think so anyway. In GDs ad area though, there's really not an option to choose. It's 'x' master seeks 'y' slave. Period. Should there be an option there?
    No, they're just words. The people involved in a relationship can define the terms of their relationship and any titles used as they like.
  5. Old Comment
    I know where you got the inspiration for this from! :P

I'll have to agree with Leopard on this one. You could argue that slave is a more extreme form of sub, but they've pretty much become synonyms at this stage within the BDSM community.
    I can't imagine a scenario (a legal one at least) where someone is actually a slave; in service to someone, and unable to leave that service.

Then again, that's the beauty of semantics. In some cases words are being used outside their initial definitions (such as slave in a BDSM context), so there's no actual correct answer.

Training is another interesting one, with lots of different takes on it. Looking forward to that one.
    You should have quite a thought-provoking series here!
  6. Old Comment
    Ohhh, we're already starting discussions on sub vs. slave and I haven't even put that blog up yet. I guess I'd better get to work on it soon!

@redambergreen: Lol, actually, I've had this series rolling around in the back of my head for almost a week now. But you're blog was perfect timing! I had been gearing myself up to post this when I read yours. I love how life works. So you probably gave me that extra little push.

And I really do love that we can and have repurposed words. Talking to other people about what connotations certain words have for them has opened me up to new, positive ways to use words that I've always had firmly set in the negative column.
  7. Old Comment
    Here's a food for thought topic: imagine how much better the forums would be if there were lots of threads like this, instead of them being blogs that quickly disappear off the tiny blog list.
  8. Old Comment
    @Leo: I thought about that actually. I'm afraid my selfishness won out. I was thinking about starting a thread for topic suggestions though. Which would probably end up becoming its own discussion center.

Also, I seriously want to cuddle your avatar.
  9. Old Comment
    I wonder if having it on your own blog promotes you more than having a thread. A lot of the time when I think of things I want to talk about, I think "maybe I'll make a blog about it" too. Both go onto the front page for a bit, but I would say you could argue that blogs get more short term interest but less long term potential.

I am seriously cuddleable. Maybe.
  10. Old Comment
    @Leopard: I suppose you're right. Although it's certainly not my intent to promote myself. I'm afraid I don't check the threads very often. So posting it there wouldn't do much for me. If I log in to gD at all, I'm at least checking the blog section. And my main focus was on putting it somewhere that I would actually pay attention to it on a semi-regular basis.

And cuddles are the BEST!
  11. Old Comment
    Oh, I just have it set to email me whenever someone replies to a thread/blog I posted in... I thought everyone had it set up like that o.o

I mean I read all forums and all threads every day I'm watching everything ok
  12. Old Comment
    I'd rather DISCUSS semantics with you. Arguing is wherein one side isn;t listening. That's why people say you're argung semantics - because they've stopped listening or feel you have or both. (Note: that's not a personal you, rather a generic one. Also, it's almost always that they're not listening AND accusing you of not listening.)
  13. Old Comment
    @DoingMyBest: I disagree. I think that the purpose of argument is to sort things out, to debate, with the ultimate goal of progress, not necessarily victory. If both people aren't listening as well as responding, then it can't be an argument; arguments are interactive, as opposed to "talking to a wall." But of course, our diverging views are probably due to semantics
    Posted 01-17-2015 at 09:52 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  14. Old Comment
    ar·gu·ment
    ˈärɡyəmənt/
    noun
    an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
    "I've had an argument with my father"
    synonyms: quarrel, disagreement, squabble, fight, dispute, wrangle, clash, altercation, feud, contretemps, disputation, falling-out; More
    a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
    "there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
    synonyms: reasoning, justification, explanation, rationalization; More
  15. Old Comment
    @Alexis: Thank you! I try to aim for the second one; the first one isn't fun.
    Posted 01-17-2015 at 11:58 PM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  16. Old Comment
    @Alexis: Dictionary references! You're awesome.

And I was aiming for an experience something like the second definition.

@Tink: I like your definition too.

@Doom: Don't tell anyone this, but I actually enjoy the bull-headed non-productive arguing too. But I'm perverse. And I'll refrain from indulging in it here.