Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Suicide Prevention

Posted 03-26-2019 at 11:53 AM by Butterfly

I have struggled throughout my life with mental illness: depression and anxiety mostly. I have used self harm as a coping mechanism since the age of 14. Although I have never had thoughts about wanting to no longer be here, or wanting to end my life, I know plenty of people who have.

When I was 15 I had to call my best friends parents to tell them that she was self harming and had expressed to me that she wished she was dead. It was an extremely hard decision for me to make. I don't think that my best friend was serious, but it was a call for help. She was so pissed off at me at the time that she didn't speak to me for a month. However, it helped. She got the help that she needed and she is still here because I took action. Who knows what could have happened if I didn't say anything? She has thanked me many times since that day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13451_AFSP_WarningSigns_Infographic_m2-1024x1024.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	875

Currently my brother is dealing with suicidal thoughts. He has confessed to trying to hang himself. He says things like he doesn't deserve to be here, that he wishes he would just not wake up, and that he doesn't want to be alive any longer. Even though I am thousands of miles away, I am doing everything I can for him here. Because of my encouragement, my brother has started taking medication and is waiting for a referral to counselling. He is also opening up to me a lot more about how he is feeling. If he confides in me again that he is in a mental state where he is considering suicide, I will not hesitate to call the authorities in his area and get him some immediate help. He may not like me very much at the time, but I would rather him be alive and mad at me, then lose him forever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Suicide Warning signs.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	876

If you, or somebody you know, is struggling with similar thoughts, please know that you are not alone. No matter where you are in the world, there is help available. I have taken the time to list some of the numbers you can contact for assistance in different areas of the world.

Please also know that my inbox is always a safe place. I am happy to listen and support you through a crisis the best that I can. However, I also won't coddle you. I will push you to make the hard decisions that you need in order to get yourself help. Only you can make the changes in your life that are necessary to improve your mental health.

Canada
Toll-free 1-833-456-4566 Available 24/7

Text TALK to 686868 to reach an English speaking Crisis Responder and TEXTO to 686868 to reach a French-speaking Crisis Responder

KidsHelpPhone Ages 20 Years and Under
1-800-668-6868

Trans LifeLine
1-877-330-6366

USA
National Hopeline Helpline
1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-784-2433

National Suicide Prevention Hotline
1-800-273-TALK or 1-800-273-8255

The TREVOR Project for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth
1-866-488-7386

ULifeline for College & University Students
1-800-273-TALK

Youth America Hotline
1-877-YOUTHLINE or 1-877-968-8454

Youth Hotline
1-800-448-1833

United Kingdom
CHILDLINE 0800-1111
Family Line 0808-800-5678
Papyrus Hopeline 0870-1704000
The Samaritans 08457-90-90-90

China
Beijing – Befrienders 03-5286-9090
Hong Kong – The Samaritans HK 2896-0000
Shanghai – Life Line 021-6279-8990

India
SNEHA A Link With Life 91-44-2464-0050

Japan
Befrienders Osaka 81-066-260-4343
Children & Families 03-4550-1146
Counseling Center 03-4550-1146
Life Line Tokyo 03-5774-0992

New Zealand
LifeLine NZ 09-5222-999 within Auckland
LifeLine NZ 0800-543-354 outside Auckland

Name:  kisspng-national-suicide-prevention-week-death-awareness-r-5add737e93a351.9576593115244624626047.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  32.9 KB
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1431 Comments 8
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Depression and thoughts of suicide are terrible. Indeed it's good to step up and call out for help if you see it's needed.

This blog will be helpful for some people. Thank you for posting it!
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you for posting this. There is help out there for people but sometimes it is hard to see the wood for the trees. I hope this helps people.
  3. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr.Dom View Comment
    Thank you for posting this. There is help out there for people but sometimes it is hard to see the wood for the trees. I hope this helps people.
    It is very hard to remember when you are feeling that low that there is hope and that there is something to live for and people to help. However, I hope that by posting this, others will be more willing to make the hard decisions and reach out to their friends and loved ones and take the risk and call for help for them.
  4. Old Comment
    Your compassion knows no bounds, Butterfly. And this sort of thing, I think, can go a long way to help those that are in need of a kind ear. I remember I once asked you what you had done to make the world a better place and here is yet another example of you doing exactly that!

Connie
  5. Old Comment
    Absolutely love this blog post, especially since I've struggled with this in the past as have some people I know. Thanks so much for posting this!
  6. Old Comment
    Thank you for talking about such a scary subject, sharing your experiences and raising awareness for those who have not had to deal with this and for sharing so many places to find help for those that have.

As you touched upon, it is both incredibly distressful and scary for you as the person being confided in when someone has these thoughts.

I personally have been in two relationships where suicide has been part of their history and has come up at the end of the relationship by ways of keeping the relationship going. Please if you feel like this, by all means share how you feel with your loved ones, get the help you need if you are genuinely feeling like life isn't worth living. Don't use it as a tool to manipulate others, it's really unfair and scary.

My ex girlfriend/sub told me afterwards that she wouldn't ever go through with it, but just wanted me to know how much she wanted us to stay together. I can assure you this is not a great place to be and also creates a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario. Next time it might not be you that turns to that person for help and the next person might really genuinely need it.

So if you are able to be brave, please do speak to someone. You will be loved by people in your life. Your life has meaning and value to others. You are special and you are amazing, you're silly brain is just playing a very very cruel trick on you.

Lots of love and cuddles to anyone going through this.

Just know you're amazing and for every reason you can think of for ending things, there are 100 reasons not to and EVERYTHING in life can be fixed or sorted out. I promise.
  7. Old Comment
    Thank you!

- Thank you for talking about this
    - Thank you for sharing your experiences
    - Thank you for helping to help
    - Thank you for making people aware how they can recognize it

it's always nice to read your blog
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MastersVoice View Comment
    Thank you for talking about such a scary subject, sharing your experiences and raising awareness for those who have not had to deal with this and for sharing so many places to find help for those that have.

As you touched upon, it is both incredibly distressful and scary for you as the person being confided in when someone has these thoughts.

I personally have been in two relationships where suicide has been part of their history and has come up at the end of the relationship by ways of keeping the relationship going. Please if you feel like this, by all means share how you feel with your loved ones, get the help you need if you are genuinely feeling like life isn't worth living. Don't use it as a tool to manipulate others, it's really unfair and scary.

My ex girlfriend/sub told me afterwards that she wouldn't ever go through with it, but just wanted me to know how much she wanted us to stay together. I can assure you this is not a great place to be and also creates a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario. Next time it might not be you that turns to that person for help and the next person might really genuinely need it.

So if you are able to be brave, please do speak to someone. You will be loved by people in your life. Your life has meaning and value to others. You are special and you are amazing, you're silly brain is just playing a very very cruel trick on you.

Lots of love and cuddles to anyone going through this.

Just know you're amazing and for every reason you can think of for ending things, there are 100 reasons not to and EVERYTHING in life can be fixed or sorted out. I promise.
    I feel very strongly about this as well. Although people may use thoughts of suicide as a call for help, I truly feel one of the worst things people can do is use it to manipulate others. It is not fair to emotionally blackmail somebody, and it is not fair to the next person who might truly need that help and attention and they might not get it because somebody else has tainted the views on the subject.

Suicide is a solution, but it is never the only solution. I truly hope those that are feeling this way can come across a post like this or a person who is willing to help them. Everybody deserves that support.