Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Topping from the Bottom

Posted 02-18-2021 at 01:01 AM by Butterfly

I actually hate the term topping from the bottom. There is such a stigma attached and I think it holds some submissive back from sharing their thoughts, feelings, wants and needs in a relationship.

I don't know how many times I have been accused of topping from the bottom or a sub has told me that they don't want to share, for fear of being accused of topping from the bottom. Telling my Dom that I want to be spanked or that I want to play with electricity, is not topping from the bottom.

Telling my Dom that I am going to cum even if he says no (but not actually doing it), is not topping from the bottom. Calling my Dom names because he is teasing me and denying me, is not topping from the bottom. Telling my Dom that I didn't like the play session because I thought it was boring, is not topping from the bottom. Asking my Dom to never call me a certain name again is not topping from Some of these things are me just being a brat, but others are sharing my feelings about things and that is so important to any kind of relationship. It is how we learn about each other and grow together.

For me, Topping from the Bottom is when the bottom tries to overpower the Dom and control what is going to happen.

Personally, I hate the expression. I think that it is thrown around way too carelessly by Tops who are threatened by their bottom expressing an opinion or having a voice.

Communication is the MOST important part of any relationship, but especially D/s relationships. There are so many different ways to communicate and each relationship will have different ways that work for them, but it is important to have clear and open lines of communication. Neither partner should ever feel like they are not allowed to communicate.

A bottom should be allowed to share their thoughts, opinions and feelings without penalty. The Top should always be open to hearing what their bottom is saying, however, what they do with that information really can vary depending on what the nature of the relationship is.

It doesn't matter if the bottom is saying "I love this, please don't stop" or "I want to cum now!", because the Top gets to ultimately choose their fate, not the bottom. This would not be considered topping from the bottom.

For me, topping from the bottom only happens under certain circumstances:
* If the bottom is manipulating the Top into getting their own way. ie. They want to receive a spanking and so they deliberately break a rule.
* If the bottom makes demands or gives ultimatums ie. If you do not let me orgasm, I am going to leave
* Downright disobeying with no clear reason ie. not using a safeword or having a conversation

Any Dom who is threatened by their sub sharing their thoughts and feelings, or letting their personality shine, is not cut out for a long term D/s or M/s relationship, in my opinion.

Honestly I would like to see this phrase disappear completely as I feel it is usually used to shut up a bottom and be allowed to do whatever you want.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 946 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    100% agree!

Giving your top a list of things you like, dislike, won't ever do (limits), and provide time windows to play in is GOOD! Do that! Do it more often, and more detailed! Give your top feedback!
    Telling your top what you liked and what you didn't like, update on your likes, dislikes, and limits, give that! As a top, demand and ask for that!

Even suggesting what to do is alright as long as your top decides (it's easy to say yes, or do it a bit different than suggested).

Topping from the bottom = Make it happen by your choice instead of by choice of your top

The very same things can happen, no matter how much you love or hate it, the difference is, if you decided it (or manipulated your top into it) or if your top decided it.
  2. Old Comment
    Yep, you are absolutely right in everything here. I am not personally annoyed by the term, but then: I don't really have experience with other Doms than you.

I just call you evil sometimes and then my balls and I hope for the best...