Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > 2EggsOverEasy

Rate this Entry

Punctuation: The Lost Art

Posted 07-06-2009 at 08:16 AM by 2EggsOverEasy

Why is punctuation and capitalization such a lost art in chat? Do people just not know how to type? Are there still hunters-and-peckers alive out there?

Granted, I understand the informality of chat conversations, and will sometimes stray into the land of all lower-case myself, but to ALWAYS avoid the use of any capitalization or punctuation, I can't do it.

Punctuation for me is the guide to figure out if you're being sarcastic or just naive. It helps me determine if you're witty or just dumb. When I read, I'm imagining the conversation in my head - pauses, nuances and emphasis are all added using punctuation as a guide. It makes for a much more interesting chat...but maybe I'm just harkening back to a day when people cared how they were perceived.

Or maybe I'm just not that lazy...
Posted in Insight
Views 4977 Comments 3
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I agree with the part about imagining as if you were speaking face to face, to pick out sarcasm and making jokes ect. It's as if people are trying to type badly, it shocks me to see some of the misspelled words, terribly spelt. It makes it seem like they just can't be bothered to speak with you.
  2. Old Comment
    You might even write a sequel to this blog:

PARAGRAPHS: Myth or Fantasy?

I really think its important to have punctuation because it helps because better read what you are writing otherwise people get confused and sometimes when things are confused no one understands what you are saying and also if there is a single block of idea then no one can read it which means you can insert stupid ideas in the middle of a long convoluted sentence penis just like I did here so in reality probably no one will notice what I just did but I hope they do learn to use punctuation correctly otherwise I will have to visit their homes and start delivering some punishment in the form of grammar rules and no one wants that lol

...I'm scared now...
  3. Old Comment
    I am naturally sucky at punctuation. With the spelling I will split it. Half of the times is because I type too fast, and some words I don't know how to spell, which is the other half.