Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Bloxo

Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average.

Fairness...

Posted 10-08-2018 at 06:09 PM by Bloxo
Updated 10-08-2018 at 07:16 PM by Bloxo

I remember once having a bit of a debate with a colleague at work (be careful when expressing personal opinions on sensitive subjects!)...this debate ended with him telling me that I see things as black and white...
This made me think a lot about how I perceive the world and what goes on in it, I started to try and look deeper than headlines, listen to more sides of any story and prove a better judge of what I should be thinking...
This made life a lot more complicated I will admit, but I think I am ultimately better as a result of that conversation...

Why this introduction which doesn't seem to match the title?...it's a point I want to make, that when I state an opinion now, I like to think it is a balanced one, considering many factors and trying to be fair...

But what is fairness?
When you hear that word, it makes sense right? but what does it mean to you?
...Because I can guarantee what would be fair to some, would not feel fair to others, so we deal with a word that is subjective and tainted by a persons experiences in life and how they have grown up to perceive the world around them...

What does fairness mean to me?
To me, fair...means a number of things in different contexts...I want to explore some of these things in this post.

Karma - What goes around comes around, as soon as I learned of this concept I loved it.
There is part of me that believes that everyone has their own energy inside of them, this theory I like to think is backed up by a process of Aura study...do I know if it's real? Not really, but I like the concept.
I like the idea that if you do something that hurts another person, that your energy is impacted in a negative way, and if you do something good for someone then your energy is impacted in a positive way.
I also like to think the more good energy you have, the more luck that can befall you.
With this kind of thinking in mind, I try to be a good person, am I a saint? I think that's going a bit far haha

Getting what we have earned
I like to believe that in life, the more effort that you put into things the more you get back, though I'm sure many people will find this doesn't always pay off...
When I commit to an ideal, take on a job, make a friend...anything I do in life, I try to make a good effort, I feel not to do so would end up in that effort being a waste of time.
People that expect to receive things for little effort annoy me, this site for example...I see people complaining about the quality of dares...how many have they given out?
I see people say things are boring, what have they done to contribute to the atmosphere here?
If people want this site to be better...don't just rely on what others can do, think about what you can do?

Equality
This is a buzz word which is used very heavily in the modern world, people strive for it...but often in seeking it, they tip the balance too far, or don't have enough impact to straighten things out.
People shouldn't be treated differently is the main thing that is said, everyone should have the same rules applied to them...I agree with that...but I do feel those people in the world who make more of an effort deserve to be treated with more respect than those that don't.
People shouldn't throw words around like persecution and inequality when they have not got their way, but likewise when people have put in a good effort and demonstrated their worth, they should be recognised for that.

Like for like
In this context, lets look at this site...there are a lot of good Doms, dutiful subs...but at the same time we can struggle to find one or the other.
A good dare should be met with a good report, a good set of rules should be met with an equal adherence to this rules.
This aspect I call mutual respect and I feel this is one of the main things that I find missing on this site

With great power comes great responsibility
Power is one of the greatest aspects of this world.
Doms take power from subs, subs give power to Doms, this is one aspect, when someone is given this responsibility they should respect it and not abuse it.
Respect should be equal on both sides of the coin and power should be treated with wisdom and not just with emotional drive. Doms should be awarded with obedience and commitment, subs should be rewarded with consideration, with discipline and with respect.

This of course extends beyond BDSM, it is present throughout life, everyone has a manager, someone they are accountable to, everyone gives and takes in life, I have been blessed with good managers and cursed with bad managers over the years, Good managers listen and use sound judgement...they look at the longterm, Bad managers are demanding and inconsiderate...they think only of the short term (much the same thing can be associated with politicians of course).

Honesty
I believe this is a very important aspect of fairness, it goes both ways though, we should be honest when we are happy with something, but also honest when we are unhappy, things that go unsaid can eat us up inside and lead to regret, to resentment and to misunderstandings between people.
I do my best to be honest with those I interact with and expect the same from others.

An even playing field
Whenever there is a contest, be it a game, a vote or a competition...all those that take part should be treated fairly. The scales should not be tipped to favour one party, that is the essence of Democracy and it's core intention at its conception, something we should be very thankful to the Greeks for.
When people rig the game, put unfair conditions which lead one party to be disadvantaged...it ultimately makes the game worthless and tainted.
Of course, when players skills are unmatched then maybe in those situations things should be done, in Golf there are handicaps for example to balance the playing field. But at the same time, this has to be carefully considered before action is taken, and should not come from a personal or emotional place, but from a logical one.

Edit: Additional note, I see a lot of games on here...I see a lot of lucky results, from dice, from wheels, etc...please play fairly on this site and play the games the way they are meant to be played.
The big downside of cheating is not only that you give yourself an unfair advantage over other players, but you discredit the games themselves and put people off playing, ultimately destroying what was meant to be fun!

Treat others how you would want to be treated yourself
This is something I believe in, before I take an action I always ask myself, is it a fair one, is it something that I would accept if it was done to me?
I like to think if the whole world thought this way it would be a better place for all involved.

My final thought

Fairness...is balance, Yin and Yang, it is a constant scale and actions taken in life are always shifting that scale one way or the other.

The ancient Egyptians believed that when your soul went to the afterlife, your heart would be weighed against a feather, the heart being a representation of persons soul and a measure of the good and bad aspects of it.
I like to think I keep my heart light, whenever I do something that turns out to be wrong I judge myself for it, but I also learn from my mistakes.

For all that read this blog, I want you to think if you are a fair person and if you are not, why are you not?

The high road in life is the better course to take and the one...though more difficult to travel is the one that brings more rewards in the long one.

Thank you for reading, feel free to agree or disagree with what I say, I am always open to discussion and to listen to others opinions.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 998 Comments 3
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    For the most part I agree with you here.

I would say that the idea or Karma works well with the game theory idea in which you consider the whole game and not just your point of view. For instance when two players are given the option to steal or share at the end of a competition. If one steals they get all of the winnings and the other gets nothing. If both share they get half the winnings each but if they both steal they get nothing. From a contestants own point of view if their choice can not effect the other players choice. If they steal they get 100% or 0% and if they share they get 50% or 0%. So it follows that its better to steal. Only if you consider the whole game you realise that its better for both parties to share. (note: this i am not advocating for communism we are too flawed for that to work)

I have stated before I disagree that something has to be fair to be fun. In computer games the game cheats to make it more fun. In doom the last part of your HP counts for more than the first part. In xcom the % chance of hitting is actually higher than it states (for all but one difficulty) and if you miss a high chance you get an automatic hit on your next one. In most racing games the bots gets faster when it is behind you. In mario cart people who are further back get better items. In world of warcraft you get an experience bonus for not playing for a while (fun fact it used to be an experience penalty for not resting which was university hated even though mathematically it was the same) which means those who play less get a bonus to help them keep up with those who play more.

The truth is a balanced game is not always a fun one. A fun game is a close game. No one has ever said that sports match where one team decimated the other was fun but my god was that one were it went right down to the wire and at the last second one team won was good. The key is for it to be perfectly unbalanced, to not discriminate against who is receiving that bonus other than they are behind.
    Updated 10-10-2018 at 05:43 AM by Ly Ph (replaced AI with bots because really bots are not AI and I am about to mention real AI :P)
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you for your comments

It's always nice to hear another's point of view...and I would never pretend what I think will match everyone else.

I enjoy being challenged on my patterns of thought, as I feel it is the best way to grow and develop better and more intelligent ways of thinking

I'm always one to get frustrated when computer games cheat haha, but I appreciate the point that it gives you extra challenge and extra thrill when you do win!
    Though to offer a small counter argument, does the computer cheat merely to be able to play at the same level as the human brain can play, in effect trying to balance the inherent inequality of a human against a machine?
    Take the Mario Kart example, Humans employ tricks, tactical drifting, using feathers to jump over obstacles, using hidden short cuts...note that the computer generated characters don't follow these tactics, though of course they could be programmed to.
    If the computer was always faster and more accurately timed than you and you could never win...there would be a lot less fun and frustration would set in and then you wouldn't play the game...
    Computer games are a balance between fun and competition, hence difficulty settings in part.

But loved reading your comment and indeed it adds to my thoughts on the subject
  3. Old Comment
    Just going to make a quick distinction that I kinda screwed up in my last post (now edited it). When I say bots I mean the default computer controlled characters in games and when I say AI I mean computer controlled characters that can actually be taught how to learn stuff.

In a sense a computer controlled character can be considered to be cheating to make up for the fact that its more difficult to program something to act in as complicated of a way as a human. Shooting in an FPS will come down to a bit of maths with a % hit chance despite your best efforts to duck dive dip and dodge. In a driving game, many, as you say, have short cuts or other tricks that the bots don't use but players may. I would imagine it would be trivial to program those bots to use the shortcuts or some cheats (there will always be that one that the programmers had no idea about, see any speed running) but its only a secret shortcut that makes you feel good for finding it if the bots don't take it. Otherwise its just the main route. The bots not being programmed to use these additional tricks but to cheat to catch up is sort of a in game difficulty slider. If the human knows the tricks that slider moves up to be more difficult and if they don't down to be easier.

In Mario cart the better items for people who are further behind is also given to player who are further behind even in a multiplayer game. The games I would imagine don't need cheating are the ones with matchmaking to make it already even (e.g. competitive games).

True AI is basically better than human players of any game. They can see further ahead, calculate faster, react instantly. Though it is fun to read about people confusing the AI by doing illogical things (before it learns how to deal with it). The truth is we can basically create an AI or machine to do any task better than we can. I am unsure if we have tried making one that can write AIs but that's just asking for the singularity and I think we need to really talk about that one as a species before jumping right in.

A couple of questions to think about. In board games you often get the ability to attack other players in some form. If one player is currently winning and all the other players decided to attack that wining player, giving them a disadvantage by comparison to the other players, then is that cheating? If that isn't cheating is that just because when they started the game they agreed that there would be attacking other players? Is it OK if we are not told but never notice? Would you feel better if a bot cheated to catch up to you or slowed down to let you catch up to it in a game?
    Updated 10-10-2018 at 06:48 AM by Ly Ph