Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rate this Entry

"What is Truth?"

Posted 11-10-2009 at 04:44 PM by lokelake

It must have been very tempting for Jesus to say what the truth is, because if he did, Pilate would have set him free.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3207 Comments 15
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 15

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Yes, but 'and they all lived happily ever after' doesn't work as an ending quite as well as 'and so he died horribly and all humanity is eternally in his debt'... At least the python version had a song at the end!
  2. Old Comment
    I like fairytales. This has nothing to do with anything, but the line
    "and they lived happily ever after"
    just made me think of Enchanted.
  3. Old Comment
    Ah! But here's the thing Loke. They say 'The truth will set you free'. But they also say 'Truth is stranger than fiction'.

So which is it, really?

Plus, if you accurately read the Bible story, you'll notice that in most versions, Pontius does not want to put Jesus to death; he would be content with a flogging and a severe reprimand. In most established versions, it is the local priesthood which wants to condemn Jesus for his heresy.

My mother has read in many theological documents that, if Jesus came back in this day and age, we wouldn't acknowledge. We would brand him a weirdo and either lock him up as a fool, or simply ignore his message, or even worse, misuse it for our own goals.

When you read the Bible stories, don't assume anything that is not directly within the narrative. That's how speculation starts and how schisms were validated within the various interpretations of the church.
  4. Old Comment
    Here is the US they wouldn't lock him up since in order to be put in jail here you need to commit a crime, but then, someone needs evidence to support the crime was committed. You cannot be falsely nor for no reason be put into jail these days in the US.

I know Pilate didn't want to kill him.

Jesus chose not to answer some questions throughout the entire scheme including Herod, so Herod nor Pilate would set him free. Though it must have been very hard for him not to say any magic words that would set him free.

But, Pilate's wife knew the truth and she knew that the answer to Pilate's truth question was...... Jesus Christ.

If the Jew's didn't kill him then we can never be forgiven.
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Here is the US they wouldn't lock him up since in order to be put in jail here you need to commit a crime, but then, someone needs evidence to support the crime was committed. You cannot be falsely nor for no reason be put into jail these days in the US.
    The establishment stamps out those with radical and revolutionary ideas that pose a threat to the status quo. They will make false reports, misquote, and fabricate motivations. One such modern messiah was put in prison over fabricated charges in attempt to silence his peaceful work and important message.
  6. Old Comment
    I'm interested to know from which gospel you assert that Pilate's wife knew that Jesus was the prophecized messiah of the Judaic religion.

And if the jews had not killed him, perhaps somebody else would have. Why did the son of God feel the need to incarnate himself within that specific culture? Why wasn't Jesus Asian or African, or even Native American? Would the outcome have been the same?

Depp: good reference. And there are so many others. Remember David Koresh? I'm not condoning his actions (in fact, I condemn them wholeheartedly), but I am saying that he did believe himself the new Messiah, and got burned for it. In the world of that time, Jesus challenged the status quo and got burned for it.

No revolution, no major societal change has ever come without some blood being shed, either through revolution or sacrifice.

And the leader of Northern Korea, Kim Jong-Il, is said to be a living God. And he's not the only one with that belief in this world.

I guess Jesus just took the wrong approach. He should have become a dictator and enforced his godhood through indoctrination and control of the masses. But it's okay: the people that came after him did a better job at it in his name, so it all evens out.
  7. Old Comment
    Interesting, maybe you need to study the Christian religion more. In the OT (old testament) days, Jews had to kill sheep to be forgiven. So we wouldn't have to continue killing sheep, God send his Son to be the sacrificial lamb. He needed to be slaughtered just like lamb back in the OT, hence why they scourged him.

It was in a dream that Pilate's wife knew Jesus was the chosen one.

The thing with the Korean guy, it's clearly just his people called him a God.

Depp, these days in the US, we have freedom of religon. So if Jesus was to just preech here, then it will be unlawful to arrest him.
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Depp, these days in the US, we have freedom of religon. So if Jesus was to just preech here, then it will be unlawful to arrest him.
    My point is when you piss off the right powerful people in the establishment, sometimes the law no longer matters. Charges can be fabricated, and people framed. I believe you are right in your ideals but mistaken in your reality. Radical ideas are often stamped out by those who have the most to lose by their spread. You may be on the right side of the law but that does not mean your opponent won't play dirty and not get caught. When your opponent is the government, you have one hell of an uphill battle. Jesus would not be prohibited to preach but that does not mean people would not trump up charges to stop him as they have others.
  9. Old Comment
    “What is truth?”

Technically, truth is a fact that has been verified.

However the real skill is accurately ascertaining the truth from the minimum of facts while eradicating all speculation.

Hence to perceive truth we are required to think. This is something that the Bible actually advocates but some preachers don’t want you to know about.
    During the dark ages the Bible was forbidden to the common people and bound up in the Latin tongue.
    Now the Bible is freely available to most people. So some preachers resort to other devious methods in an attempt to stop people thinking.
  10. Old Comment
    depp, I do know people will try to stop Jesus like they tried to stop him back then.
  11. Old Comment
    The truth shall make ye fred! Tis all lies I say! jesus wasn't even crucified- twas all a plot by the CIA! The flying spaghetti monster reigns supreme- all hail his linugininess!
  12. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by interesting View Comment
    I guess Jesus just took the wrong approach. He should have become a dictator and enforced his godhood through indoctrination and control of the masses. But it's okay: the people that came after him did a better job at it in his name, so it all evens out.
    Well maybe not the wrong approach but there is quiet a lot of truth in that statement.

The Jewish people at that time were expecting a Messiah whom they notioned to be a powerful leader, capable of setting them free from the tyranny of the Roman Empire.

Some (NOT all) of the Jewish leaders of the time who were unable to pursue their objectives under Jewish law, were essentially playing politics when they handed him over to be tried as a rebel under Roman law.

Pilate's intention with Jesus was to ascertain if he was truly leading a revolt and hence was an enemy of Rome. Jesus gave an answer to the effect “If my Kingdom was of this world my followers would fight for it.” This statement dispelled thoughts of contention in Pilots mind. Let us remember Pilot was interrogating Jesus, he was an expert in these matters, which was his job. It was really Pilot who was pursuing finding out the truth. The real truth being was he an enemy of Rome. The words of Jesus dispelled this belief. The dream of Pilate's wife also conveyed to Pilate that Jesus did not have any military plans because she described him as a just or innocent man. Pilate being a clever man and free of the pharisaical fanaticism that prevailed amongst the religious people of the time, may well have gained some small insights as to Jesus’ true mission. Hence the wording on the cross that actually served two purposes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokelake
    If the Jew's didn't kill him then we can never be forgiven.
    It is unfair of to say that the Jew's killed Jesus, especially from one believing the Gospel story. Sentiments like this have historically lead to such things as replacement theology and much persecution of the Jewish people by the church throughout the ages.
    Updated 11-12-2009 at 07:51 AM by theone
  13. Old Comment
    nananananananana Batman.
    Running down an alleyway.
    Car coming the other way.
    Flatman.
  14. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theone View Comment
    “What is truth?”

Technically, truth is a fact that has been verified.

However the real skill is accurately ascertaining the truth from the minimum of facts while eradicating all speculation.

Hence to perceive truth we are required to think. This is something that the Bible actually advocates but some preachers don’t want you to know about.
    During the dark ages the Bible was forbidden to the common people and bound up in the Latin tongue.
    Now the Bible is freely available to most people. So some preachers resort to other devious methods in an attempt to stop people thinking.
    this bit about the Church keeping biblical texts from the common populace via latin is not completely accurate. The texts were most certainly not available to the general public and in latin--but not for conspiratorial reasons. Only a tiny fragment of the populace was literate at the time and nearly *everything* that was written was written in Latin. Latin remained the academic lingua franca (in the West) from the fall of Rome until well into the Renaissance.
    Posted 11-14-2009 at 09:01 AM by Mephistopheles Mephistopheles is offline
  15. Old Comment
    Yeah but now, there is not many people lives in the country that the native language is latin. I doubt this had anything to do with OP.