Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > JackSpratt

Rate this Entry

Cheeky Punts for the weekend's football (19-20 Jan)

Posted 01-18-2008 at 03:14 PM by JackSpratt
Updated 01-18-2008 at 03:27 PM by JackSpratt

Birmingham v Chelsea

Chelsea... are worrying. Worrying because they can sometimes be very good, and sometimes very bad. And if you remember, they were abysmal without Didi Drogba at the start of the season... Then again, now they have Nic Anelka who has had a tenuous relationship with top flight clubs.

Then there's Birmingham, who have evidently got a point to prove. McLeish wants his team to be successful, and they were hardly pushovers last week. And James McFadden will be looking for a goal on his debut...

It's cheeky, but I reckon that Birmingham could sneak it. It will be one-sided without a doubt, but I get the feeling that Anelka will miss a couple sitters and McFadden will score at the other end. 1-0 Birmingham.

-

Blackburn v Middlesbrough

I don't know why I fancy Boro for this one. They stole a draw entertaining Liverpool last week and I just get the feeling that they can do the same today. I reckon it'll be a boring draw at the Emirates, 0-0 if anything. Blackburn will go on the offense at the death with nothing to lose (because Boro are diabolical up front), but Bentley will probably send some audacious screamers over the bar. Blackburn usually slip up around this time and I can't see it being any different this season. If it's not this week, it'll be next that they start dropping points against teams they should beat.

Equally, Boro shouldn't be in relegation and they should stay up this season. Southgate is a good motivator and he's starting to get something out of his lads.

-

And for those with accumulators...

-

Liverpool v Aston Villa

This is on Monday and Liverpool will win. There's no two ways about it - Rafa will get the team right and they'll have the twelth man with the Kop. On top of that, Villa have to field Taylor in place of Carson, as they can't play their on-loan 'keeper against his parent squad.

It's a win for Liverpool, either one or two - nil, but comfortably so. If you want names, I think that a cheeky outside bet on Ryan Babel for the opening goal wouldn't be a bad decision. Either way, safe bet. Liverpool aren't going to slip up here.

-

And that's all ^^ Hopefully this will aid you, the reader, in your betting at the weekend. Please don't take my words as gospel, they're just educated guesses for those who like the odd outside bet (or, in the latter case, the safe bet). I can't wait to see how wrong I am when the weekend rolls around ^^
Posted in
Views 2767 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Chelsea 1-0 Birmingham

It could have gone Birmingham's way on a different day. They were up for it and almost took something; just not their day. Jerome came close a couple times, but at the end of the day it was Chelsea's Pizzaro for the winner late on.

-

Blackburn 1-1 Middlesbrough

Guess what? Middlesbrough were abysmal up front, as always, and missed some sitters. Blackburn nicked a draw against the run of play. Good for me and my gambling ways though.

-

So there we have it. Ten pounds on Birmingham and ten pounds on Middlebrough for a tie, and i'm sitting pretty on a nice little profit. Thirty-five pound payout for the 'Boro game, minus ten for my loss on Birmingham... but then, don't forget, I get my stake back for the 'Boro game. That's thirty-five pounds to whoever followed my estimates ^^

I've already put it on Liverpool/Villa, with 3/5 odds. That means, if I'm right with a Liverpool win, it's a twenty-one pound payout. So on Monday evening i'll either have fifty-six pounds or none whatsoever.

Here's hoping that the bet is as safe as I'm expecting it to be.
  2. Old Comment
    At the end of the weekend's football...

I broke even! *sigh* Liverpool failed to make me money. Darn you, Rafa...