Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rate this Entry

MBP Infomercial 1: Debate etiquette

Posted 05-11-2012 at 10:01 AM by Manbearpig

Hey everyone! I am taking time out of my life of eating pork, believing in science and being a false prophet to talk to you about something: Debate Etiquette. If you were in the chat at about 600 GMT last night, you probably saw a debate occur about religion and politics. While most people usually stay clear of these things, it was (for the most part) well handled and with a lot of back and forth but interesting thoughts to be had by all. But there were a few things that I saw that were big no-no's when it comes to debates. I am going to debunk those today!

Myth 1: I am always right and everyone needs to know that
Fact: No you aren't. What everyone gets to know about you is that your a giant and raging penis.
Reason: When it comes to debates, you are not always right. You think you are right, which is why you are debating in the first place. But the sad truth is, you could be wrong. Especially when you are debating things in the past, you could be wrong because, quite frankly, you were not there.
Ways to get around this no-no: Present your argument in a clear and concise matter. If you have things that you believe could help your argument, use them to back your argument up. Understand that people will disagree with you and accept this. Understand that unless you are proving a set fact, like the sun is bright, you could be wrong. If you are debating evolution and creationism, both are just theories. Science points in the direction of 1, but it is still just a theory. When debating certain religions, no two persons faith are the same because of different influences a person might have had in their life. When debating politics, what is good for one person might not be as good for another, which is why we vote. I think we have this one pretty well covered.

The second issue, that didn't occur that much but I still saw was name-calling. I'll get straight to the point.

Myth 2: Name calling is okay in debates
Fact 2: No it isn't. Usually what you are calling someone is how everyone else feels about you.
Reasons: When in debates, if you name call, it usually shows that your point is stupid and you are turning to show that my point is stupid but maybe I can take away some of your validity if you snap.
Ways to avoid this no-no: Even if you think is a complete tard and making no sense, don't result to calling them a tard in the heat of a debate. Just simply say, "I understand what you are saying, but I feel that your opinion is misguided," or "I'm sorry but I just don't think you are right." Usually if you do choose one of these outs, there might be some backlash and they might say, "Why do you think that?" If you have already presented evidence, just say, "I already said why I feel this way," or if you haven't, make your point.

There is much more debate etiquette that we could talk about, but these are a few of the bigger points I feel needed to be made. They aren't directed at anyone in case you feel that way. getDare is an adult website now, and even if it wasn't, we should be acting like adults anyways. If you want to have childish arguments, you should do it elsewhere. Not everyone is going to like everyone and not everyone is going to think the way you do. The best part about getDare is there are so many different people from many different cultures. You can learn so many different things. And even if you don't agree with them, you can learn why they feel that way. I love debates on chats. They are usually fun, but everyone needs to act professional because these are people core beliefs, something they think about a lot. It means a lot to them and we should respect that.

Until next time,

MBP
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1083 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments