Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > DoingMyBest

Rate this Entry

Defences

Posted 07-20-2014 at 05:22 PM by DoingMyBest
Updated 07-20-2014 at 06:21 PM by DoingMyBest (correcting more obvious typographical errors)

Now, we all have defences, that's pretty standard. Plenty of people on here have a few extra, not wanting to mingle real life with deviant activities for the general public. I understand that more than most, whereby my face is my career and even the vocal recordings are a huge risk for my work and life: added to which, other careers aren't really an option due to how ill they make me. But I'm already being tangenital.

There are many kinds of defence that we all have. There're the kinds stemming from trauma, where we throw up walls to protect ourselves from ever feeling that pain again: this is the kind of thing where we never allow ourselves to be vulnerable (not letting people in) or where we have an intense... dislike for a certain type of people - these are some of the most commonly found, particularly on gD and manifest as what most people call 'trust issues'.

There're the kind that happen as a reflex action - for example deflection when trying to avoid answering something painful/that would upset some (and dodging is used for the same purpose here, just a different technique) or humour to distract and deceive from our problems and, again vulnerabilities.

Sometimes a defence isn't enough and we look for reparation, which is where we look to friends (or even strangers) for help or even the oft-misconstrued attention-seeking behaviours (which can be seen in chat. I myself have been guilty of it, I'm ashamed to say, making a bigger deal of dodging a "how are you?" in the main chat than necessary - but, most often, it is just attention-seeking for the sake of it). Even the genuine attention-seeking behaviours are usually from a place of pain, looking to distract their own mind with a plaster instead of suturing it up with direct attention to the problem.

I could list more, but honestly, I'm on the verge of confusing myself and am hungry and thirsty right now (which stems from another set of defence mechanisms in itself - lethargy, apathy, self-destructive tendencies and some others).

What this blog is kind of about right now is a defence mechanism I seem to resort to in my most dire times. As well as one I've only just become aware of. Whilst I ordinarily wouldn't refer to anything I do as a defence mechainsm, these technically are - the closest to me admitting being for defence in usual circumstances being the first I'll mention.

Removing oneself. I'm not meaning that permanent solution that can be a tempting mistress, even if one can't figure out the finese it requires to be least problematic - I mean isolation and solitude. Not that lovely kind that people think of as a cabin in the mist-wraethed mountainous woods where you can "just get away from it all". I mean turning a room into a cell of dank despisal. I will cut off all communications with everyone. Phone will remain unanswered, Facebook (which I am literally on all the time due to needing to keep up with 300+ work contacts for employment) will not be opened and e-mails not checked. This has caused friends to desperately ask each other for my address - only none of them know it (I often end up in a living situation where guests are an impossible dream). I won't exit the room for as long a stretch as possible - the number of people on here that do pee-holding dares or weightloss dares involving not eating/drinking and all I can think is "You're feeling desperate ater that long? I have without for X times longer and not even cared...": I mean total isolation. Of course, here was a recent blogpost where it was suggested a certain subset of people should be isolated away from the general public - in parts it triggered this reaction in me because I am one of the people mentioned. I had to ask kittenlyss if I was allowed to participate in what everyone else deemed normal life and it took some major efforts from her to convince me that I am allowed to. I still don't feel I fit, but that's not what I'm discussing. Removing oneself from all that causes grief and suffering - from the torrent of emotions that are so difficult to comprehend, let alone deal with. That's what I'm discussing. It leads to a stench-ridden stew in a room, alone with one's thoughts (which is not a good thing for me if I'm spiralling: when you have as many trains of thought moving as fast as me, it's over a dozenfold worse than an average person's spiralling) waiting for that detestment to be over... If you can gain some clarity, you can regather and remove the obstacles and think clearly to overcome problems and re-order everything, ready to reveal yourself to the outside once more. That is the intention of the solitude. To rebuild your strength and recuperate. I'm aware this is less of a "how to defend yourself" or "how to overcome the problems with a defence" and more a "here is how I react and I'm trying not to reveal all (another defence ) or come across as a whiney little bitch or attention-seeker or even a pessimist", but really, this was a place to say some things that I imagine many can relate to and maybe to have people understand some of the things that I do...

(Before I continue, just thought of two more - the option of eternal sleep and the decision of consistent consciousness. Basically, as a rule, I don't sleep: you don't have to process a lot of crap, your memory turns to shite and you don't have to deal with things and you can get a lot more done with your time. Not to mention, I then don't have to dal with my oneirophobia. Eternal sleep - to me, sleep is essentially unidirectional time travel. If I sleep, I wake up in the future and nothing has happened to me in between. When things are too much, you can sleep away all that is causing problms and just keep sleeping until a point you can try and get back into it all. Just keep sleeping until things are gone... Outsleep the world... Say bye to it all and wake up with a fresh start. If you want to wake up )

Now I move onto the part that the whole blog has been about really. A realisation that asexuality is an unconscious and forced defence mechanism of mine. It can often stem from Sirius, but when everything is too much and when it all needs to stop - I just suddenly have no interest. Not even just in sex, but seeing a nice pair of mammary glands, a beautiful glutius maximus, the wondrous soft-section between ribs and hips, a pretty face or whatever doesn't make me do anything. Not in a "nothing happens down there way", but rather the only way I appreciate it is in the same vein as a piece of art in a style that's not to my taste - it becomes a purely "Well that's been made well because.." kind of way. Disinterest and even indifference occur. It's the ultimate in anti-prejudgement, I guess. But more than that, I just become accutely unaware of the "joygiving" area altogether. We're on a website where, let's face it, plenty of people flirt, bandy themselves about, play and throw themselves at each other for gratificational pleasure (I enjoy making new words, you may have noticed - sue me.) and I've had some propositions (always get them from guys, but let's not go there) - ordinarily these are for me to be a Dom and it's no small secret that that choice is beoming more and more of a strain on me. But I've also been propositioned with several things that rarely, if ever come up (one such example being that last night, a lovely lass was seeming to want to cam for me and she is attractive as well [that being knowledge from previous as opposed to current thinking - I am in such a state right now, hence the blogpost]), but I had no inclination. Who doesn't like to see someone enjoying themselves and enjoying it more knowing you can see? But I declined. My head said "this opportunity won't come by again, take it even if you don't get to use it" - but it was only part of it. If I'd have said yes, I'd have been bored and disinterested and they'd have felt they had done something wrong and all kinds of other things. I am now garbled on what I'm trying to say and what my point just now was... Suffice to say, I am usually an overly-sexed person. This was seen as a good thing by previous partners.

(cont. in comments)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1591 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    However, with it now having been somewhere into the 4th year of solo/celibacy (the astute will note I've been single for just coming up to 2 years though), asexuality has become more prominent. I think I'm changing tone now to just reveal a... concern, not fear, really (I have one fear and one phobia. Nothing else scares me and the phobia is purely physical manifestations of fear) - if presented with the opportunity for a sexual partner: will I do it right, be any good, freak out, etc... For a long time, it's the only thing I've actually been good enough at to be able to accept I'm good at it (to the extent that I have a friend who asked me to explain some things to her boyfriend and said to him I'm a sex-god. She and I have never done anything. Ever...) - but it's been so long and my confidence (in general) so torn down, not to mention my self-image and the knowledge of certain physical deficiencies associated with body type, that I no longer expect to be able to please. To find that out would be devastating. My first blogpost was all about how I endeavour to please and I mean/meant it more than just coitally, but obviously it comes into sexual acts as well (no pun intended - also, that would be the humour mentioned before...). Honestly, I had thought to make a blogpost within the last couple of weeks shouting that I have chosen to be celibate, in the vain hopes that it would make it feel like I had some control over the matter (alluded to in my previous blogpost, which kindly seems to have been forgotten - I've left it up for posterity and some of the wordsmithery in it, to be honest... I mean, it's not often such a clear stream of thought can be captured from me, as you may have noticed.), but it's not a choice, it's just the way things are right now. But the asexual nature of a defence mechanism isn't a choice of celibacy - it's my body and mind's reaction to the situation. It's essentially telling me that I do not feel that there is any point in participating in any kind of erogenous/genital play even with myself because there will be no future use or because I'm just not worth the time it takes or I don't deserve the pleasure/gratification/fun. It's not even just due to sex and such. The asexual nature of it all is a defence mechanism to the entire world and what's happening around me.
    I don't really now how to explain this, but it's just not a reaction to ONLY my sexual situation. I have previously wanted to discuss it with the aforementioned friend (from an illness standpoint, not a sexual one as I don't talk sex with friends - well, in RL that is and not much about my own online either - rarely, if ever, giving details) the fact that I'm just "too depressed to masturbate" - which doesn't sound right without the correct inflection. It sounds like I'm saying the Big D means I don't want to. What I mean by it is that this low feeling means I haven't the inclination or desire or thought to...

I doubt this blog has been what I had intended it to be and I honestly don't know what it's like or how it reads, but I'm going to post it without reading it back. Who knows what y'all'll make of it, but maybe it''ll help, maybe you'll relate, maybe you'll understand what I probably don't. But here's some words and hopefully they've helped you pass some time. Ciao...
    Updated 07-20-2014 at 06:25 PM by DoingMyBest (Corrcted some more obvious typographical errors.)
  2. Old Comment
    Will comment more later. Just wanted to say hi to the Chief Derricker.