Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Isabell

Rate this Entry

Thoughts from the e-mail

Posted 01-20-2008 at 11:06 AM by Isabell

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, '40's, '50's, '60's and '70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick-up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers! No Inter net or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives 'for our own good '.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2904 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    They missed so many things, like swinging tree to tree on rope swings, skiing behind cars on icy roads, sliding down and jumping off rooftops into snow drifts on our sleds, riding the cows and pigs on the farm to see who could stay on the longest, and so much more. They did not even mention that we also were expected to work and do our fair share to help with daily chores.
  2. Old Comment
    Okay, I'm well late in replying, but dammit... when I saw this I had to respond anyways.

You forget the early 80's, we still were allowed to have fun unhindered. it was just at the start of the 90's where it all started going downhill.

I remember in our local park in London we had a massive "forest" type of area (probably not that big in reality, but as a 10 year old it was amazing), it was like a giant obstacle course with swing ropes, tyres to run through, balancing beams etc. and as it had been left unattended it had tons of long grass below.

Of course with long grass and nobody to keep it clear comes nettles and thistles... so rather than sending someone to clean it up, they sent someone to tear the lot down because it was now deemed "unsafe".

I'm also surprised those horizontal bars in some areas haven't had a ton of padding put round them yet either as we all used to swing round them as kids, and I wound up smashing my mouth on one once, all I did was go home and get patched up, these days there would be a hefty lawsuit and then a rush to get them all covered in a ton of padding.