PDA

View Full Version : two slight problems

Zeromus
03-15-2008, 05:57 AM
my main concern ( and this is probably next best thing to impossible to "fix" ) is the chat rooms. too many a time have i got in and either nobody is talking ( figure that irony out ) or there's just a bunch of people asking for, and only asking for dares. now i like giving dares, but i also like to see what people can come up with in the way of dares as well. just the other day when my turn came around (and my only limit was no real public ) the best i could get was a pen in the bum and run around your house. now dont get me wrong that is good but frankly i like it when people come up with good ideas like i know every1 should be able to. (at least most of us)

my other problem is the number of popup adds on here. one or two is fine but ive had a shoe one lately that just wont leave me alone then im just trying to get a quick dare. i know you need the adds so im not saying that all shlould be abolished just make it so that a person can get on get what they want quickly and get daring.

lydiab6
03-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Ive been having issues with the shoe one too, I finally was able to get on here by stopping my browser before the page fully loaded, it seems to be alright at the moment, but Im not sure when it will start up again.

chain
03-15-2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.yourtopbrands.com/9qw2E61dd8615?sud=11286

Depp, I get the normal ad screen saying free shoes for half a second, then it jumps to this.

Davros
03-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Chat Room: You're lucky if you get people in these days. It's rather quiet. Also, when people do chat, it seems like nobody can really be bothered with interesting dares. Just search the forums.

Ads: I only get the odd one or two :D

Zeromus
03-16-2008, 05:30 AM
quite frankly consider yourself lucky i get the one that chain said and it wont leave me alone, lol

Big_Joe
03-16-2008, 05:43 AM
And you've tried deleting your cookies and running an efficient anti-virus to check for adware?

I've never got these adds so i'm guessing it could be adware...

Theres not that many free anti-viruses that get rid of tiny bits of adware. I use NOD32 but you have to pay for it. I think AVG is a good free one.

I also use Firefox which has a good pop-up blocker.

johnny5
03-16-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm using firefox as a browser which helps against a LOT of popups. along with avg i have for a few months now, no complaints and as far as i know no infections either

Sum
03-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I have not once seen an add on this site (when i've been on windows, linux or osx), i personally think they're a myth that's put about.

I don't know if it's the huge ******* list i have plugged into my browser or the browser itsef (opera). But seriously, not even seen an add, the first i knew the site had them was when people started to talk about them.

As free virus guards go AntiVir is good, personally prefer it to AVG http://www.free-av.com/

If you do decide you want to pay for a virus guard, something that isn't actually that bad an idea i really really can't recomend highly enough Kaspersky http://www.kaspersky.com/

You may want to also grab a dedictated anti spybot program like Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
and a dedicated anti-adware program like Ad-aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

I have to say yesterday the chat room was the busiest i've seen it in ages so i popped in. Got hit my a whole load of private messages as soon as i entered, horny guys wanting a slave, or me to give them dares on msn. Most annoying.

Mephistopheles
03-16-2008, 08:21 PM
As a note, I keep getting the yourtopbrands.com issue as well. It is not a pop-up or the usual ad in the getdare frame that you can skip but a redirect ad--that is, when it loads, it redirects the browser to the a whole new url. Additionally, the redirect springs up on each attempt to access the site within a given time-frame.

Not certain if this is an adware problem on my end or, well...I have seen similar things on other sites, in cases where the site administration was unaware of it. Suffice to say that there are occasionally some unethical things that crop up in ad placement services, like these redirects.

As for the chatroom, I was in it the other day while it was both busy and full of quality content--that is, a moderately fun public game and no annoying "dares plz" private messages.

SubMissChievous
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
As a note, I keep getting the yourtopbrands.com issue as well. It is not a pop-up or the usual ad in the getdare frame that you can skip but a redirect ad--that is, when it loads, it redirects the browser to the a whole new url. Additionally, the redirect springs up on each attempt to access the site within a given time-frame.

Not certain if this is an adware problem on my end or, well...I have seen similar things on other sites, in cases where the site administration was unaware of it. Suffice to say that there are occasionally some unethical things that crop up in ad placement services, like these redirects.

You're not the only one, 2 other members have approached me with the same problem (at least, judging from your description of it, it seems like it's the same problem... :) )

I have PMed depp about it so I'm sure as soon as he gets back here he'll look into this :)

Lizard
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I have not once seen an add on this site (when i've been on windows, linux or osx), i personally think they're a myth that's put about.

I don't know if it's the huge ******* list i have plugged into my browser or the browser itsef (opera). But seriously, not even seen an add, the first i knew the site had them was when people started to talk about them.

Im with sum1(2); I've not had any issues with any pop-ups at all, and I don't run with any ad list blocks in the browser. I credit the lack of annoying things like pop-ups to running FreeBSD (Unix) and Opera. (It's nice to know that there are other Opera users out there!)

depp
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
my other problem is the number of popup adds on here. one or two is fine but ive had a shoe one lately that just wont leave me alone then im just trying to get a quick dare. i know you need the adds so im not saying that all shlould be abolished just make it so that a person can get on get what they want quickly and get daring.

I have tracked down the offending advertisement and removed it. Ads should only show about once a day. When they show up every page view there is a serious problem.

Zeromus
03-18-2008, 05:13 AM
much obliged. i thank you on behalf of all who were suffering.