PDA

View Full Version : Door Opening Question

LilAngel
07-04-2011, 12:52 AM
I need relationship advice. What happens when a guy keeps forgetting to open a door for you?

DarkAndEvil
07-04-2011, 01:16 AM
In a literal or metaphorical way?

If he literally won't hold the door open - maybe he is rude, arrogant, unchivalrous, or simply believes that it is offensive to females to hold the door open for them (yes, there are those people out there, uber-feminists!).

If you mean a metaphorical door, as in he won't leave you a 'way in' - he's probably acting cool, rather than chasing too hard, relax a little and see if he wakes up!

LilAngel
07-04-2011, 02:19 AM
I meant it in a literal way. :)

Vodin30
07-04-2011, 02:27 AM
does he get your chair or pay when he takes you out? if he does some things but not the door thing you should ask him. if he says he just forgets then ask him who he is thinking about when you are together since he is forgetting he is with you.

dragonator
07-04-2011, 02:46 AM
it might bethat he is uncomfortable doing that. I know it seems weird but if your early on dating a lot of guys wont do that because it makes us feel clingy, and like wer being too nice and you'll think we're desperate or something... (i know what i mean in my head damnit lol!)

slave1987
07-04-2011, 08:30 AM
What happens when a guy keeps forgetting to open a door for you?

You open it yourself, maybe?

qwertypete
07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Personally, I think you're making too big of a deal out of this.

If he opens it, that's great. However, if he doesn't, so what? Is he nice? Do you like him? etc.

I'm sure he's got his own reasons (could be awkward in that situation, embarrassed, not know what's 'expected' of him, etc.)

Just be grateful for the times he does open it for you, because, for those small times, I'm sure it's a natural thing.

sweetsong
07-05-2011, 10:28 AM
It probably means he's a teenager and needs someone to kick him in the ass. ;)

You could always ask his bestie to remind him of his manners. :D

banneduser
07-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Agreed, this is a mountain and molehill situation, though it might not be...

I have the utmost respect for women, If i did have a girlfriend then I would always treat her with respect, not in a mistress/slave way, no, respect as a person. Would I get her chair for her? Hell no. Not unless we were out at some fancy restaurant which is unlikely in the first place. Not because I am rude but it is an unneeded act of pointless futility. She isn't a retard, and the likelihood is she would be physically able to move the chair herself. A woman to me is an equal. I wouldnt pull out a chair for a bloke so why do it for a lady?

Doors I always hold open, I work in a school where traditionally the arrow of respect goes from student to staff but I will hold a door anyone who happens to be behind me just because it is the right thing to do.

Maybe he is just a bastard, on the other hand perhaps he was never taught to hold the door. I was always taught that and so I do, if i had been taught to kick kittens in the face then no doubt I would have a penchant for animal based football games. "Teach" him that it is the right thing to do.

Same goes for paying for stuff, I would pay sometimes but my purpose in the relationship is not a mobile bank, it is to make sure she is happy and as a result obtain happiness myself.