PDA

View Full Version : My Job

DancingBear
04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
So I need some advice about what to do in this situation.

I work at a late night campus cafe at the rate of $7.35 an hour ($7.65 on Fridays). It started out great. It was fun, everyone talked and laughed a lot, there was great music, free food, etc.. Now, it has taken a turn for the worse. Most of my coworkers either ignore me or pick on me. Lots of them don't pull their weight and put it on me and a couple of the other employees. (They will sit around and chat with the manager who does nothing about this).

A few new rules were enforced including one saying that only people who are currently working are allowed behind the counter. I liked this rule because when people would come back to make food for themselves, they would get in the way and customers would get angry at me for not filling the orders. This rule was in effect for a little while (especially when I went to get food) but now, the manager is letting her "favourites" come and do whatever they want.

Specifically, last night, a girl who wasn't working was back sitting on a girl who was currently working for 2 hours out of the 3.5 hour shift. She did nothing the entire time. My roommate was stuck with piles of 30-40 orders by herself because I was doing register. This same girl who was off the clock called me a bitch twice that night right in front of the manager, and would give me sassy answers whenever I asked somebody ELSE a question. Usually, I just ignore things like this because there is no point getting upset over something so silly, and especially at a place where people are already frustrated because it's work! But now it's just starting to bother me. I shouldn't have to take abuse like this.

So, what should I do? Should I bring it up to the manager who never seems to listen to me (and is friends with the employees who do nothing)? Or should I go up a level to their boss? Or should I just suck it up because it's a low paying shitty job anyway?

Darkwater
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Seem to me that the best options are to either go one level higher if you want to keep working there, or to look for a different job.

sweetsong
04-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I would tell the people who are on the clock to get to work and if they didn't listen to me and the manager was an immature bad worker also, then I'd certainly go to her boss. They are your coworkers, you shouldn't have to be miserable at work and you don't have to be friends with coworkers.

lucky
04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
you should explain the manager. But only what is related to you, don't add details like you are upset because someone else does nothing, etc. That coworker may be in a better relation with the boss.

You can say you don't like attitudes like being called a bitch in front of the clients, actually no worker should be degraded in front of the clients because this inspires mistrust to the client.

And you can add that you are thinking to seek for another job because of these. Be honest.

If some bosses want you to leave a job usually don't tell you to but make you leave by yourself. Think if your boss is kind of acting this way or not.

The boss can easily find another replacement. And you also can always find another job. But you should never be trated like a slave just to keep a job.

Blank
04-11-2011, 03:50 AM
In all seriousness...... why the fuck are you still working their? Your to good for that job, its a shit job and if the manager doesn't listen then theirs a chance the higher one wont either, I mean if you really need the job then you could try and complain to the higher one or you can get out and find a job you will be happy at.

DancingBear
04-11-2011, 07:20 AM
In all seriousness...... why the fuck are you still working their? Your to good for that job, its a shit job and if the manager doesn't listen then theirs a chance the higher one wont either, I mean if you really need the job then you could try and complain to the higher one or you can get out and find a job you will be happy at.
Yeah the only problem is that this is one of the better jobs on campus.. It'd be hard to find another one with hours that work for me, etc.. Besides, if what you're saying is true, and the higher manager won't care.. she is the manager for 3 other places on campus as well so I'd still be working for her.

I ultimately have decided to ignore everything for now and see how it goes next semester. Some people may be leaving, so I may have a better time. If it still persists, I will complain then.

Yelsey
04-13-2011, 06:44 PM
It takes me a while to get mad at someone too. But if they do really get on my nerves I tell them to go truck off and make sure they don't screw with me again. So just make it clear to them where you are and tell them to get off their lazy butts. And if they pick a fight, go ahead. You're the one who's doing there job, so you're in the safe zone. And BA BAM! Problem solved. =D

DancingBear
04-14-2011, 07:28 AM
So here's a nice update.. the girl who was being really bitchy toward me was fired for cutting someone with a knife. :D It was a "joke" apparently but she still got fired. YAY! Now all I have to deal with is the laziness and the somewhat less annoying other coworker.

Darkwater
04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice, that's one less to worry about :p