PDA

View Full Version : Masters....

Insomnia
12-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I've finally got around to asking this - it's taken a while. I'm sure it's something that's been discussed in the past somewhere, and I just haven't come across it.

Why are both male and females referred to as 'Masters' on this site, rather than females being 'Mistress'? I realise this is something that goes to the core of the site (Slave/Master section, the ads, etc), and doesn't affect me particularly as I'm not a female Master/Mistress (you choose your word of preference) or looking for one!

I am however intruiged, and the little sergeant-major in the back of my mind who tries to regulate my use of english screams every time I see it.

zeketheorc
12-23-2007, 12:04 AM
I have found many references where females are referred to as mistresses on this site so I am not really sure what your talking about.

Merlin
12-23-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't get it... Most "female Masters" refer them self as Mistresses here...
Whats the point? Do you want to name the "Master and Slave area" to "Master or Mistress and Slave area"?
:confused:

(Sounds a little bit harder than intended...)

SubMissChievous
12-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I've just checked, out of curiosity, and when filling out the form for posting in the M/s area there's no choice for it. So I assume that the terms "Master" or "Slave" are set automatically regardless of gender. I think it would be a nice improvement if such a distinction could be made. It would avoid some of the confusion that often happens with female masters addies...

Perhaps this thread could be moved to the suggestion zone as it sounds like a very valid & good one... :)

Merlin
12-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I start to understand... :)
[...] It would avoid some of the confusion that often happens with female masters addies...[...]Don't think that will help :p
Still, shouldn't be much work to do...
But Depp has to decide this :)

Insomnia
12-23-2007, 01:55 AM
So I assume that the terms "Master" or "Slave" are set automatically regardless of gender. I think it would be a nice improvement if such a distinction could be made. It would avoid some of the confusion that often happens with female masters addies...

That's what I was getting at - thank you for putting it so much more eloquently!

Perhaps this thread could be moved to the suggestion zone as it sounds like a very valid & good one... :)
I forgot that existed! oops!

Davros
12-23-2007, 03:31 AM
I see your point, but people forget that "Master" can refer to any gender.

Eg. "I am the master of everything" - It's not just male.

MasterO
12-23-2007, 09:11 AM
For many millennium in most cultures the mere thought of a female ruling over a male would have been totally unheard of thus the association with the male gender. The term Mistress is also used as a woman in a mans sex life that is not his wife. A Master is some one who is served by the servant/slave irregardless of gender but throughout history has been primarily male.

Kitty
12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
For many millennium in most cultures the mere thought of a female ruling over a male would have been totally unheard of thus the association with the male gender. The term Mistress is also used as a woman in a mans sex life that is not his wife. A Master is some one who is served by the servant/slave irregardless of gender but throughout history has been primarily male.

oh nice history. your a history teacher lol

Looking4somename
12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
On the same note, why is the Slave/Master Area called as such?
It should be called "Master/slave Area" (after all, it's M/s - not S/M.)

Davros
12-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Slave/Master just sounds better? It should be Slave < Master, meaning Masters dominate Slaves.

And you can also argue, why aint it Slave/Master/Mistress?

But I must argue that some "Mistresses" don't even refer to themselves as such, so "Master" is a good word for both genders.

Plus "Master" just keeps it all tidy.

Pikachu
01-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Or we can have submissives and dominants? i mean that is what traditionally a slave/master/mistress relationship is called and it avoids all the sexism feminism side of things

depp
01-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Since starting this site I have learned a great many things. I'll change the terminology in the next site update as well as add switches. Please be patient with me however.