PDA

View Full Version : Need your help on buying a new camera....

Aries_Laetus
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Hello. I am going to buy a new camera, I have been saving up for a good one. I would like to keep it under $500.00 please. I am looking for a camera with great zoom and great picture quality. SOmething semi-profesional. I want to be able to take artsy fartsy kinds of pictures, you know? Good color, speed, ect. Do you have any ideas? I thought I would ask while I look in case you have any recomendations for me. I am looking for a nice one :D

Thanks,
Aries

Star Shadows
01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
With my first instinct I would have advised you to look at some of the SLR models, a Nikon, or a Canon really, possibly Sony dependant on the feel however there is a great downfall in the SLR's that you need lots of different lenses to get the variety that comes from a bridge camera (the functionality of a SLR with the zoom and the lack of detachable lens of a compact) Both the SLR and Bridge all have good camera's from good amateur level to professional with a varying price tag.

Personally I have the Canon 1000d (an SLR and it cost me £400 in a package lot) and it is quite good for arty shot but the lens you get has a limited zoom and the focal range isn't brilliant. I have to be around my elbow to get a photo of my hand while at arms length. However other than that it is a brilliant camera and I know a vast number of people who have the Nikon equivalent being the D300 as far as I can see- and it seems marginally cheaper.

Bridge camera's are basically a case of you get what you pay for but either way I would recommend buying from a store, or at least looking at them in the stores to get a feel for them, weight functionality and zoom so on. I will post back if I think of any more advice.

Sasahara
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
i've been shooting on Pentax DSLRs for years and love them- the built-in anti-shake makes all lenses stabilized. The Pentax K-x with a 18-55mm lens is $499.

Horse.Chic
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Here is a picture of the camera i got, its not that professional but you can do some pretty cool stuff with it. :)

Aries_Laetus
01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all of the advice so far, I will keep checking back! Thanks.

tiffc
02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Why don't you go to a shop that sells cameras? Preferably one that specalizes in technology (you know like Best Buy or if Walmart sells cameras then there) then ask an employee there for advice. They would be your best bet for helping you narrow down your choices. I would take a lot of the people who posted here's advice though.

Durant
02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Why don't you go to a shop that sells cameras? Preferably one that specalizes in technology (you know like Best Buy or if Walmart sells cameras then there) then ask an employee there for advice. They would be your best bet for helping you narrow down your choices. I would take a lot of the people who posted here's advice though.

No offense tiff, but I'd really recommend against that route. The average Best Buy or Walmart employee isn't going to know any more about cameras than what it says on the sheet sitting in front of the camera. If you'd like a professional opinion go to a store that specializes in cameras and photography equipment only. As far as online research goes http://www.dpreview.com/ is an excellent site for reviews on everything from professional DSLR's to the smallest pocket cameras. Other sites such as cnet or bpphoto are great resources also.

Depending on what you are looking for an entry level DSLR will only cost around $500 with a kit lens. The nice thing about this route is that its very upgradeable and customizable to do whatever you are interested in. Also the quality can't be beat and you get full manual control over the camera for your artistic choices.

A mid range camera like the Canon Powershot S5 or Nikon Coolpix L110 will still give you full manual controls but you will be more limited in options and accessories. There are no interchangeable lenses or external flashes.

On the low end you have your general pocket cameras. These are very limiting and more suited to snapshots. The nice thing is they are fairly cheap and will still take decent quality pictures but you don't have any options beyond a couple preset modes and pushing the button.