PDA

View Full Version : Little Brother

timetoshine
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I have just recently found out that my little brother has been going on my laptop when im not at home. I have some stuff on this laptop that i would not be comftarable with if my brother saw, such as this site and others. Im not sure how much he has seen, or how much he has done (msn, yahoo, and various sites). I want to confront him about it, but im not quite sure how. As i said before, i dont know how much he knows, but im assuming the worse and want to avoid a possible blackmail type situation (again assuming the worse). I have put a new password on my laptop, but he figured out my old one, so he might figure it out again. I want to end this now so i dont have to worry about it again. Any advice?

lilysmaster
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I would recommend not having my passwords to instant messenger and websites saved so he can not log into any of them.

Also, try a secure password,and change it frequently.
Guide on choosing a secure password. (http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Secure-Password)

~lilysmaster

princess.oxox
01-03-2011, 12:50 AM
What browser do you use? If you use google chrome, you can browse incognito, which means it doesn't show up in your broswer history. otherwise, you could delete your history everytime you get off your laptop, and remember not to favourite sites you don't want found.

if i you have files saved, you can hide them in a maze of folders.

Aivey
01-03-2011, 12:56 AM
I think that you should just ask your parents (if you still live with them) while your brother is nearby, something like, "Hey, have you guys been in my computer or something? Someone has been going through my stuff and it really bothers me etc etc." That way, your brother wont be directly confronted, but he would get the point, and hopefully stay away.
A more drastic step would be to clear all your histories, and never save passwords on your computer. Change your password into something completely random (eg:oidajfiodje!!!OI) and save that password on your phone or somewhere he wont be able to find it.
However, i think the simplest method is to just go up to him and say, "Hey, someone's been going through my computer and stuff, Im not sure who, but if it was you, I really hope you can stay out. I'm a bit annoyed at how anyone would invade my privacy like that, and if it does happen to be you, please stop"

Best of luck (:

moxie
01-03-2011, 01:22 AM
I would also recommend changing your passwords for everything else. It is a good idea to change them to new secure passwords on a regular basis anyway.

In terms of confronting him, there may not be any benefit to that if you can provide adequate security to prevent him from accessing it in the future.

Slenderman - Doctor
01-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I'd confront him, but in a quiet way. Just be curious, come out with it casually.

"Ya haven't been on my laptop have ya?"

If you want, make something up so it doesn't sound as confrontational.

"My laptop was on stand-by earlier and I'd turned it off. Did you borrow it for school work or anything?"

End with "I don't mind if you have. Just wonderin' really."

That's how I'd do it, anyway. Maybe, if he owns up, just ask him to make sure he has your permission next time.

Alternatively, set up a second user account. Set yourself as laptop admin with a password, and have a clean guest account he can log in to.

drvaleyard
01-03-2011, 06:02 AM
What browser do you use? If you use google chrome, you can browse incognito, which means it doesn't show up in your browser history. Otherwise, you could delete your history every time you get off your laptop, and remember not to favorite sites you don't want found.

if i you have files saved, you can hide them in a maze of folders.

Safari has the same feature, it is called Private Browsing. It is located next to the apple sign in the tool bar, called File.

In Firefox, you go to preferences, than you look for the Privacy section (it has a mask for a symbol). Next, look for history and you need to select, Never Remember History.

This will keep your history safe and will not save it.

Note: I have a mac and not a pc. My Mac is version 10.5.8.

BettyBoop
01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Alternatively, set up a second user account. Set yourself as laptop admin with a password, and have a clean guest account he can log in to.

I recommend this completely, I have a guest account on my laptop and my own account is password protected just in case anyone tries to use it and it's very simple to do.

sweetsong
01-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Orrrrrr... get a netbook and then you can carry it with you everywhere. :D

My brother is a snoop. I just confront him. "Why were you on my laptop?" Seems to work for me. (:

lilysmaster
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Unless setup properly two separate accounts will not do a lot seeing as the fact that you, at least on a windows machine, can get to the other user profile's files quite easily. Also, having multiple accounts have a tendency to slow down the computer.

In this situation it may be simply that he is being nosey, not wanting to use the computer but just to go through his big siblings stuff. If that is the case the secondary account would not be a lot of help.

The best way to confront him, as a few people have said, is to ask your parent in front of him, like a dinner or another family gathering.

yermawsface
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree, private browsing is the way to go, but if you are concerned about files on your computer, there is a programme you can buy called Folder Lock
I have it, and I recommend it. No one can access a locked folder without the password. :)

timetoshine
01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. Im pretty sure he has some sort of hidden key logger downloaded. I had went out for a bit, and saw things on my computer had been changed (after changing the password to 17360237) He's a really smart kid, and i think he knows that he can get stuff out of me if i confront him.

timetoshine
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Actually ill just confront him about it, and then download a safety system that can search for a key-logger. Thanks for all your advice.

yermawsface
01-04-2011, 05:23 AM
wow a keylogger? that SUCKS...

if you got spare cash, get yourself down to a pc shop, and get a fingerprint scanner. lmao

Dont know how they work, but i know they exist for around £70 ($108)

Or lock your laptop somewhere he cant get to while you are away; something padlocked?

theone
01-06-2011, 07:55 AM
You can get some good free utilities that may help.

CCCleaner can help to clear history traces from your browser and computer.

KeePass Password safe is a good password programme. You just use one master password. However there are so many options that you will need to study the notes first before using.

silverwall
01-06-2011, 09:05 AM
In addition after changing your password you could set your laptop to shut itself off every 5 mins or so. That way even if you forgot it is on and go somewhere else it won't be a problem.

321tt
02-07-2011, 02:00 AM
As for hiding your activity: If you use Firefox, you can use Multiple Firefox Profiles (Google the phrase for some how-tos). You can combine it with a multiple desktop thingy (implicit on Win7, on older Windows, look for VirtuaWin). This way you can have your history and passwords stored, still nobody knows about it unless he's kind-of a PC nerd and suspects you.

As for facing him with the problem: If you feel uncomfortable with him using the laptop, say it to him directly but when you're alone. He surely wants to have access to some computer (if you don't have a desktop one at home), so you should find a solution: make him a second account on your PC and put a password to your account, convince your parents to buy him a second-hand PC, ...

I don't know how old he is, but I'm sure that if you're fair and open to him, it'll be well paid for both of you in the future :)