PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted: Buying a Cat

Leopard
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
How do I buy a cat?

lilysmaster
01-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I am going to assume this is a legitimate question so I will give a legitimate answer.

The proper why to go about buying a cat is to go to a local animal shelter or equivalent, and adopt a cat. You can also check local newspaper classified ads.

Autumn
01-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Agreed you can go to your local animal shelter to adopt a cat, it also depends what type of cat you want. they are all different.
Your local vets is also a good contact and if they don't have cats up for adoption (which is how I got my lil girl "rest her soul" I miss my lil Raven *cries*)
hope that helps you.

Best of luck
Autumn

princess.oxox
01-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Do some research first. what type of cat do you want?
Do you want something active, like a abyssinian, or do you want something laid back, like a ragdoll cat (it's a actual breed) do you have the time to brush a long furred cat, or do you need something that is low maintaince ? will the cat have to put up with lots of people, especially little kids prodding and poking, or will it just be you, occasionally stroking it. that'll affect the breed you get too.

Do you have the time to train and play with a kitten, or would you rather have a cat already trained? these are all important things to consider.

Aivey
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
First off, I highly advise you to ADOPT a pet from a shelter than to BUY a pet from a pet shop, the workers there most likely have a better idea on the personality of each cat, and it would be easier to find a better match.

As previous people have said, please do some research before finding a cat. Cats are live animals, not toys, and they come with a lot more responsibility than an Xbox. You should make a list including things like: How much you are willing to spend on the cat on a monthly basis, What kind of personality do you want in a cat (energetic, playful etc), How much time you are willing to spend with him/her etc etc. Once you have a general idea on what your ideal cat would be, do more research, and try to find out which breed of cat would suit you the best.

Once you have settled on which breed of cat you wish to have, you could go to a pet shelter and look for the perfect cat. Although each breed may have different characteristics and personalities, each cat is also an individual, and have different personalities. You should take your time on finding the right cat, so that both you and the cat will be happy. Do get to know the cat better before adopting it.

Finally, when you are sure you have found the right cat, you should buy the supplies
and make some space for the cat. The cat may take some time to adjust to his/her new surroundings, but once s/he does, you'll have a new friend :3
Adopting a cat is quite serious, and could be stressful, but getting a new friend and saving a life is worth it :3

Here are some websites you can go to for further information:
http://cats.about.com/od/newtocats/tp/beforeadoptingacat.htm
http://www.icanimalcenter.org/library/cats/adoptingacat.htm
http://adopt-a-cat.adoptapet.com/

moxie
01-03-2011, 01:16 AM
The best advice is not to buy a cat! :)

SlutPuppy
01-03-2011, 04:54 AM
Yeah, don't buy. ADOPT. Go to your local shelter, and meet the kitties. spend like, an hour or so there, find out which one you like best and connect with best. And then you go fill out the paper work, pay the fines, and they way they do it at my shelter, one of the people that works there will sit down and go over the paper work with you and ask some questions. :) And then you get to bring him home!

And dont forget to buy all the necessaries. Litter, litterbox, toys, etc. And when you get them home, keep them in one room for a few days, probably yours, for them to get used to it. They will more than likely hide somewhere, but eventually venture out in curiosity.

(<.< I have four cats, all but one adopted. I should know.)

Midnight
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Adopting a cat is absolutely fantastic. I have four cats I've adopted from shelters and they're wonderful. Just make sure you have the necessities (litter box, food, toys, a scratching post) and you'll be fine.

sweetsong
01-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Awww, you're such a cat person. :3

How do I buy a cat?

But the first thing I thought when I saw this was, "Uh.. with money?" =P

Leopard
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I have now bought a cat. Thank you for your advice, everyone!

Midnight
01-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Can we see a picture of said kitty or is that against the rules?

Autumn
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
aawwww you have a kitty cat... what colour? type? boy or girl? what did you call your baby?

so excited... I so love cats!!!!!

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb407/AutumnLily69/cute%20and%20adorable/babyleopard.jpg

Leopard
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs29/300W/i/2008/119/5/f/my_cat_XXVIII_by_thehomeboy.jpg

Midnight
01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
That's your new cat? It's (since I don't know the sex of it) so cute!!!!

Leopard
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
It is a very cute cat :3

Marc
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Are cats like their owners?

nellybell
01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
You're already a kitty, why on earth would you need another one?
And if that is true Marc, then that is going to be the scariest cat ever. Jerk cat ><

yermawsface
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
You could try Gumtree.com if you want a cat; We have got a kitten from there for free.

Gumtree is a free advertising website that has locations all over the world. If you live in UK, or US, you will be able to advertise/browse advertisements there. Not sure about other countries tho

Aivey
01-06-2011, 04:19 AM
THAT's your cat? o.o
+mutters something about Liars on the site...+

Leopard
01-06-2011, 04:25 AM
THAT's your cat? o.o
+mutters something about Liars on the site...+

Look, it's upside down, and everyone knows that everything in Australia is upside down, since we're on the bottom of the world.

LilAngel
01-06-2011, 04:26 AM
I saw that picture on tumbl- Oh! I didn't. Excuse me.

I was just about to say, you could easily purchase 'cats' on a site like getDare... ;)

Leopard
01-06-2011, 04:27 AM
I saw that picture on tumbl- Oh! I didn't. Excuse me.

I was just about to say, you could easily purchase 'cats' on a site like getDare... ;)

You did not; I googled it and got it off deviantar-- I mean, it is a lovely cat.

No purchasing cats here, Angel. Financial Slaves are just as banned as Financial Mistresses!

LilAngel
01-06-2011, 04:29 AM
You did not; I googled it and got it off deviantar-- I mean, it is a lovely cat.

No purchasing cats here, Angel. Financial Slaves are just as banned as Financial Mistresses!

But Financial Cats, Mr Leppy!

Aivey
01-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Finanshal Kat 4 sail
-Very Obeedeant
-Pottee trayend
Discount if u by now!

Email me 4 more info: [email protected] ([email protected])

(dont ban meeeee D: )

SlutPuppy
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Finanshal Kat 4 sail
-Very Obeedeant
-Pottee trayend
Discount if u by now!

Email me 4 more info: [email protected] ([email protected])

(dont ban meeeee D: )

HAHAHAHA.

-emails- :rolleyes: