PDA

View Full Version : A possible problem?

Glutgod
10-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I dunno but its getting annoying that theres becoming more and more guest that are online and less memebers. Just now theres 21 guest and 2 members, It just annoys me that they don't get accounts and become contributing members, I dunno if this is a problem but it does annoy me.

bkwrm37
10-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I know. It is annoying.

userben
10-14-2006, 02:03 PM
i would rither have them be ggust then have an account and not post any thing or even make an account post like 1-3 post the same day and total forget the sit

Glutgod
10-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Yea I can see what your saying but that would be pretty cool if they could make accounts and become contributing users.

chain
10-22-2006, 09:53 AM
I'd say that new member can get prelim accounts and if they are contributing members they become full members....is this at all possible?

Glutgod
10-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Yea I like that idea.

THeMaGNeTiCMan
10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Ya. 10 ppl on now. 8 guests. 2 members. These people need to register and stop being parasites. Its annoying.

Glutgod
10-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Yea at first it was most members hardly any guest now that the sites kinda picked up theres guest every were!!!

THeMaGNeTiCMan
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
It's a good thing that people are looking at the site but if they aren't contributing and just looking at dares to use in a game... you should make people sign up to view the forums.

And at the moment there are 15 guests on and 3 members. For those of you who don't feel like doing math thats 5 guests to every member.

geek505
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Just keep coming up with good dares and they will be back... Just because they have an account does not give them a reason to stay if the forum is filled with immature "Dare me, but don't dare me this" posts instead of actual dares to be used in the games they are hoping to use dares in...

Closing off the forum to members only will decrease Search Engine ranking across the web, so you would actually end up having less Guest to even consider signing up...

You could give people incentives for signing up and posting, they can use their points earned from posting to buy access to a special forum where pictures and videos ARE allowed. But the admin should probably start by enforcing the age minimum since he cannot build in a system to hide mature content from users as he could if he built his own system.

Glutgod
10-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Yea like anybodys gunna say they are under 18 or whatever.

Manbearpig
10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Just keep coming up with good dares and they will be back... Just because they have an account does not give them a reason to stay if the forum is filled with immature "Dare me, but don't dare me this" posts instead of actual dares to be used in the games they are hoping to use dares in...

Closing off the forum to members only will decrease Search Engine ranking across the web, so you would actually end up having less Guest to even consider signing up...

You could give people incentives for signing up and posting, they can use their points earned from posting to buy access to a special forum where pictures and videos ARE allowed. But the admin should probably start by enforcing the age minimum since he cannot build in a system to hide mature content from users as he could if he built his own system.
i totally agree with ther first part, if u closed the forums to the public, people would just find some other site to go to that is free to the public. However, some forums like the slave master forum and the tord online forum should be members only. guests shoud have to sign up to view these parts since u cant post without having an account and u pretty much need to post HEY IM LOOKING FOR A MASTER or DARE ME!!!
however, i do not agree with the age rule. i would say that at least 1/2 if not more of the members are under the age rule. deleting them would be a bad idea. it would ruin the site

geek505
10-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Yea like anybodys gunna say they are under 18 or whatever.

Well, it is not the admin's problem so much if it says it in the terms when they sign up, but if they continuosly say they are underage, or under 13 like that new post in the Dare forum, they need to be banned or the admin risks legal issues if a 14 yearold did one of the sick dares some of you come up with and got caught... "The website told me too..." And then the parents start suing the same way they sued Jackass, except Jackass said "Do not try this at home"...

In the case of the 11 year old who posted asking for dares for their even younger brother, it is actually illegal. But I am not sure what the law says about 12 or less year olds that lie about their age upon signup...

depp
10-25-2006, 12:04 PM
An 11 year old can't even register for this site. Users birthdays are all tested during the registration process.

Some users have later stated after the fact that they are younger. Those I can confirm have been deleted and banned because I was able to verify their age.

If you feel a post is in violation of getDare rules please report it using the built in reporting tool. I don't read every post here and can't possibly follow every user. I do this even though I feel it is a gross violation of "free speech" rights. Unfortunately we live in a world where censorship is justified and accepted due to a "think of the children" mentality. When exactly did we lose our freedoms? If your a minor get the fuck off my site.

Glutgod
10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
If your a minor get the fuck off my site.

Nicely said Depp.

depp=noob=lol
10-26-2006, 12:01 AM
minor is -18 right

then you can close the boards, there are many, many -18 here!!!

bryn
10-26-2006, 07:49 AM
im surprised at how attitude has changed i mean like a while ago people admitted they were underage and then nothing happened but now people are getting ticked off by it so err i gess underage people will just have to leave

Glutgod
10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Yea there are, like even you depp I think are a minor..or you'r 18, but I'm to lazy too look.

Rob
10-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Look, if you are mature enough, you should be able to use the site. You just need to come in knowing that reader discretion is advised. Age should have little to do with it. If you know what sex is, and what masturbation is, you should be able to join this site. If you have no clue what one of those is, you shouldn't be here. The getdare.com random truth or dare thing will give you many appropriate dares and truths depending on your age.

xdressslave
10-28-2006, 06:46 AM
I just noticed the new rules which came into effect recently on the slave and master section of the website.

Now, members must be 18 or older to make a master or slave request.

I can totally understand from both sides of the coin why Depp has decided to do this. Being a webmaster for a long time, I understand the legal and practical sides to this. However by limiting the site to over 18's, getdare will basically become less active in the slave and master section, which is probably the most active section of these forums.

I don't beleive a person 18 years (or older) would come here when they are looking for a slave or master. Their are many other speciality (and more active) websites/communities (which I will not name here) that are specifically designed to cater for this audience, and have more older people on them.

Wheras the slave/master section of getdare is catered for teens, and teens only. Rarely will you find a person older than 18 asking for to be a slave or master. Why? Because they'll have better luck on the adult websites.

Perhaps Depp, you could compromise. You need to cover your ass from legal ramifications, which I totally understand. Maybe reduce the age limit to 16? In many countries you can have sex with whoever you want at 16, just not a teacher. You could also put up a disclaimer in a seperate topic saying something to the effect of

By disclosing and/or using an e-mail address or Instant messaging handle to allow others to contact you/contact someone else, you understand that you are doing so at your own risk. Under no circumstances are you required or obliged to communicate with anyone on this site, and you should exercise extreme caution when talking with other people on the internet you have not met in person before. getDare will not be responsible for any actions you carry out.

That's something rough. I usually can write something that sounds a bit more legal/professional, but I'm a bit tired atm, and just had a jim beam ;)

userben
10-28-2006, 01:18 PM
lol thats funny im 17 and im a moderater and i found the site when i was 16 how the times change

Glutgod
10-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Well about the master slave stuff I really don't car about it I don't even go there its really picking up too much for my liking I like good old fashion dares.

dared to perfection
11-24-2006, 01:26 PM
haha but you've gotta admit it is pretty daring just to get involved in a site like this one .. those guest just whimp out !!

Glutgod
11-25-2006, 01:25 PM
True or they just wanna read the dares we post and not have to post any themselves I say you should limit most of the sight to guest! Then we could become more active and it would be better.

Manbearpig
11-25-2006, 02:19 PM
you have a point but than can drive people off who arent members and they will find some other websites. sometimes, such as myself, i visited the website here and there, and finally felt like joining. sometimes people just got visit it a few times before they join

Glutgod
11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Well it would get people wanting to see the sight more so I say it would probly get more epoeple to join cause right noew its 1 me and 19 guest right there may be 19 more people joining the sight if they just wanna read our post and not help the sight I say screw them they might as well just leave.

nina
11-26-2006, 11:10 AM
About the number of guests, sometimes members don't sign in. If I'm just taking a quick look for anything new I won't always sign in.

Glutgod
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
well when you don't sing in it dosenn't show new post but I never really thought of that but its not like theres like 12 or so membbers too lazy to sign in.

Musty 21
02-18-2007, 03:50 PM
if you ask me, the only reason why you should get an account is if your going to use it. Look at me, look at the join date and at the# of posts i have lol

Smile Guy
02-19-2007, 04:51 AM
I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people here are in there teens and under the age of 18.

It's a tricky balance, I'll grant you that. While we want to make this site a safe place with no potential for legalities, we don't want to chase away people merely because of their age. Sure enough, we don't want hordes of 11 year olds flooding the site but what we do want is a nice balance of ages and a nice number of people.

I think, overall, we need to encourage people to join this site, thus making it more legit and less... well... worrying. As long as we have a team of excellent moderators and therefore trustworthy people, I don't see a problem.

Manbearpig
02-19-2007, 04:14 PM
i want to thank u staff and mods, we have had a few problems in the past few months (remember when that 11 year old kid was looking to punish his 7 year old brother???) and the mods and staff have taken care of them. keep up the great job!!!

cheesy dude
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I dunno but its getting annoying that theres becoming more and more guest that are online and less memebers. Just now theres 21 guest and 2 members, It just annoys me that they don't get accounts and become contributing members, I dunno if this is a problem but it does annoy me.

Well, it is not the admin's problem so much if it says it in the terms when they sign up, but if they continuosly say they are underage, or under 13 like that new post in the Dare forum, they need to be banned or the admin risks legal issues if a 14 yearold did one of the sick dares some of you come up with and got caught... "The website told me too..." And then the parents start suing the same way they sued Jackass, except Jackass said "Do not try this at home"...

In the case of the 11 year old who posted asking for dares for their even younger brother, it is actually illegal. But I am not sure what the law says about 12 or less year olds that lie about their age upon signup...

i know this post was like page 1 in this thread but just thought id chip in any way.

lieing anbout your age on a site, for instance on a game site... then winning a competition, if they find out your age is wrong then the "contract" is voided, therefore no prize.
This is also the same here, if you lie about your age when logging in and then blame the site, the site admin or w/e has no responsobilaty.

ALSO i am leased to say even if the daree caught/inguerd and holds a grudge against DEPP or the site, no legal employee (solicitor) would willingly take the case as currently the internet is a very grey area.

It could take years to succesfully convict a hacker,( eg Daniel James Cuthbert the guy that hacked the tsunami appeal on new years eve, wasnt convicted until 10months after the affence. AND still they were not 100% sure that he even did it.) never mind a site admin.

SOZ for the lecture but i saw that post an thought i would let you all no this site is ace :)

Manbearpig
02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
i know this post was like page 1 in this thread but just thought id chip in any way.

lieing anbout your age on a site, for instance on a game site... then winning a competition, if they find out your age is wrong then the "contract" is voided, therefore no prize.
This is also the same here, if you lie about your age when logging in and then blame the site, the site admin or w/e has no responsobilaty.

ALSO i am leased to say even if the daree caught/inguerd and holds a grudge against DEPP or the site, no legal employee (solicitor) would willingly take the case as currently the internet is a very grey area.

It could take years to succesfully convict a hacker,( eg Daniel James Cuthbert the guy that hacked the tsunami appeal on new years eve, wasnt convicted until 10months after the affence. AND still they were not 100% sure that he even did it.) never mind a site admin.

SOZ for the lecture but i saw that post an thought i would let you all no this site is ace :)
cheesy dude does have a very good point. i think that we could have a post (a stickey or something) that says do these at your own risk. these dares can be dangerous...blah, blah, blah....like most websites like this do. it may be vital later on in case something bad does happen. depp is a very great guy, he runs this website and i would hate to see him get sued because of some stupid person doing something stupid cuz the site told them to...

lokelake
05-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I'd say that new member can get prelim accounts and if they are contributing members they become full members....is this at all possible?

One problem. All they have to do is just not make good posts/threads.

I don't mind if the guests don't register. Becuase I like the fact of seeing them, and thinking to myself if they will find this site good/fun enough to them to register.

I think it is exciting, the thought that more guests will join to become memebrs.

BettyBoop
05-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Well, loke, this was the problem back in 2007. It may not be the same now. Old thread.

SubMissChievous
05-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Well, loke, this was the problem back in 2007. It may not be the same now. Old thread.

I think a lot of those guests have signed up by now :D

Back when I first registered there was about 2000 members and now we have over 10 000 registrations :)

Lolly
05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
About half of them don't post probably...
They only sign up so they can read?

Manbearpig
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I would guess only about 10-25% have posted ever, and about 5% have remained. That is just a rough guess though

depp
05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
They only sign up so they can read?
Registered users don't see more than one ad a day at most. ;)
They may not know it but there is a benefit.

Lolly
05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Internet traffic to this site that generates the revenue to fund the site is the benefit?
Am I right?

Ciandon
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered users don't see more than one ad a day at most. ;)
They may not know it but there is a benefit.

I actually never had ads until a week ago. That's a bit odd...

depp
05-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I actually never had ads until a week ago. That's a bit odd...

That's because I did not approve new ads for 6 months due to me being lazy. In the past ads have supported the site but online ad revenue has gone way down recently. Hopefully there is an upswing. :) getDare is a hobby anyways, I have never made any profits of the site that did not go right back into it.