PDA

View Full Version : Very simple, yet very painful.

Glutgod
10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Ok for this one all you need is salt and ice. Try using this dare on sensetive spots or spots with very little skin (Like palm.) All you do is get some salt, pour it on your skin, then you put and ice cube on top of the salt and put pressure on it. This hurts a lot I did it with my palm and it skings like knifes. It dosen't hurt as much on your upper arm. I was able to go 2 mins on my palm and (for your plam just squeeze the ice), after that it was very painful. How about you try, how long did you make?

bkwrm37
10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
I got about the same as you, 2 mins. But it hurt like heck and my hand was very red afterward.

nicktim
12-24-2009, 10:47 AM
try it on your balls/dick or breasts. i only lasted 30 sec.

gagemeaker
12-24-2009, 04:23 PM
try it on your balls/dick or breasts. i only lasted 30 sec.

is that safe? if it is, i just might try it :P

snowdude
12-26-2009, 12:37 PM
is that safe? if it is, i just might try it :P

No, this is actually not safe. The chemical reaction that takes place during the contact between the ice and salt is something called "ice burn" and is very similar to the chemical reaction that actually takes place in fire. It is called a burn because the effects are very similar to that of an actual burn. It has the potential to leave a burn scar for a couple of days. I would not recommend doing this, in fact, I would strongly recommend not doing it.

DanBlaze
12-26-2009, 02:09 PM
No, this is actually not safe. The chemical reaction that takes place during the contact between the ice and salt is something called "ice burn" and is very similar to the chemical reaction that actually takes place in fire. It is called a burn because the effects are very similar to that of an actual burn. It has the potential to leave a burn scar for a couple of days. I would not recommend doing this, in fact, I would strongly recommend not doing it.

No. The ice/salt mixture has a lower freezing point than does straight ice, which means that it melts, but to melt it needs to absorb energy, which comes so handily from you......and your hand.......and so probably absorbs enough energy to cause the tissues in your hand to freeze, because they are probably less salty, therefore freeze at a higher temp than the ice/salt mix you just put on your hand. And this is not a burn, but frostbite.

Star Shadows
12-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Excues me and sorry for being a spoil sport but looking at this chemically...

Salt is usually Sodium Chloride. (NaCl)
Water is water (H20)

Now when you mix the two not only does Sodium react violently and exothermically (making heat which is part of the reason it hurts) with water being an Alkali Metal.

When it reacts you chemically end up with Sodium Hydroxide (Hello alarm bells ringing?) which is harmful and abosrbs moisture easily meaning that yes it will absorb the moisture from your skin. NOT good. Along with the fact it is a quite strong acid.

...And that isn't bringing the effects of chlorine inhalation and absorbtion into the skin. You do this a lot and you can do some real harm so don't do it at all.

Please for your own sake dont try this. There is a reason you are told to be careful when using these in chemistry and it is not so you can put it on your skin for kicks.

dan1mal
12-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Water is water (H20)

Now when you mix the two not only does Sodium react violently and exothermically (making heat which is part of the reason it hurts) with water being an Alkali Metal.

When it reacts you chemically end up with Sodium Hydroxide (Hello alarm bells ringing?) which is harmful and abosrbs moisture easily meaning that yes it will absorb the moisture from your skin. NOT good. Along with the fact it is a quite strong acid.

...And that isn't bringing the effects of chlorine inhalation and absorbtion into the skin. You do this a lot and you can do some real harm so don't do it at all.

Please for your own sake dont try this. There is a reason you are told to be careful when using these in chemistry and it is not so you can put it on your skin for kicks.

And thus you all got ownt by science!

ohne_id
12-27-2009, 09:39 AM

Water is water (H20)

really, it is good if you warn people about dangerous things, but what you wrote above just isn't true.
Yes, sodium is dangerous if it reacts with water and chlorine is dangerous too. But as sodium chloride (=salt) is a completely new substance it reacts completely different as the elements above.
Did you ever cook? If you put salt in water this is a chemical reaction. But the only thing this does is reducing the boiling temperature.
If you've been to the ocean, you know that salty water isn't dangerous, as long as you don't drink it.
The only effect you get here is that ice and salt react in an endothermic reaction. This is why this burns.
THIS IS NOT DANGEROUS, ONLY IF YOU DO IT TOO LONG AND IF IT HURTS TOO MUCH.

- sorry for my rant, but I can't watch when people want to seem scientific and don't know what they are talking about -

Star Shadows
12-27-2009, 10:26 AM
really, it is good if you warn people about dangerous things, but what you wrote above just isn't true.
Yes, sodium is dangerous if it reacts with water and chlorine is dangerous too. But as sodium chloride (=salt) is a completely new substance it reacts completely different as the elements above.
Did you ever cook? If you put salt in water this is a chemical reaction. But the only thing this does is reducing the boiling temperature.
If you've been to the ocean, you know that salty water isn't dangerous, as long as you don't drink it.
The only effect you get here is that ice and salt react in an exothermic reaction. This is why this burns.
THIS IS NOT DANGEROUS, ONLY IF YOU DO IT TOO LONG AND IF IT HURTS TOO MUCH.

- sorry for my rant, but I can't watch when people want to seem scientific and don't know what they are talking about -

Really sorry I think I must have had a bad day I am not normally like that.

banneduser
12-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Pah seems you just came home from a science lesson on the alkali metals. What you obviously have not been taught is the REASON for this violent reaction. The reason being an unstable atom (sodium) looking to even up it's number of electrons. Salt and water will NOT release ANY heat. Ever. Nope. no sir-ee. However, Sodium and water will burn your fucking face off. I strongly suggest trying it... Please do. However understand that i accept no responsibility for your actions or the effects of such actions.

For the record Chlorine is a highly toxic gas but I've never been gassed to death from my chips...

Now, there is no reaction between ice and salt. What has already been said about the lower melting temp is 100% correct. It is the reason why the sea rarely freezes away from the poles.

Im amazed you never wondered why the sea wasnt boiling hot due to the salt in it... or why when you wash your plates after eating salty food they dont blow your face off.

As for the safety that's down to where and how you apply it. Any area low in blood flow or any extremity (ie the penis or fingers/toes) will get frostbite if left very cold for a long period. Frostbite is when the blood stops flowing to that part of your body. So putting the ice on for a minute then rubbing the area hard for several seconds should keep the blood in the area.

Hg.
12-28-2009, 12:31 PM
omssx seems to have cracked it.

Rather sarcarsticly and patronisingly so, but nevertheless his arguement seems valid.

Bottom line:

It wont cause you any chemical harm, but is ruddy cold so be careful of frostbite on detached limbs and tissues.

Star Shadows
12-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I am very sorry to omssx, ohne_id, dan1mal, Glutgod and anyone else I offended or annoyed with my inaccurate rant. It tends to happen when I am angry. I will read into something the wrong way and over react and make a tit out of myself. I shall endeavour not to do it again but cannot promise anything. :wall:

banneduser
12-28-2009, 03:32 PM
omssx seems to have cracked it.

Rather sarcarsticly and patronisingly so, but nevertheless his arguement seems valid.

Pah, sarcastic? Moi? Never...

Do not be sorry, im just argumentative on this forum